G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
While recovering from my heart surgery I created a small project that I feel will be of help when I get back to running trains.
To run my locos I have to drag out stick transmitters and even though they have been modified to allow 2 locos at a time to be controlled if I need to run a 3rd loco I now have 2 transmitters to deal with.
I invariably walk off with one transmitter leaving the other behind so then have to walk back and forth to retrieve the one left behind.
With this box I can have 4 locos out on the layout and no matter where I walk off to I have the transmitter for all the locos.
I updated my blog to add a page detailing the history behind the re-config/packaging and where I am at with the project.
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... 24ghz.html
I have also added a page detailing the Radio Control methods I use.
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... ed-on.html
The repackaged transmitter will only work with the Pololu and Viper ESC's as they are centre stop controllers.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting that the Mtroniks ESC stipulates that it's not "Lipo safe". Presumably it's because it doesn't include Low Voltage detection and so could drain a lipo to unsafe levels.

Rik

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting that the Mtroniks ESC stipulates that it's not "Lipo safe". Presumably it's because it doesn't include Low Voltage detection and so could drain a lipo to unsafe levels.

Rik
That is as I understand the statement..

Many manufacturers, are adding similar wording, to cover themselves for claims for replacement batteries.

PhilP

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag

Rik
As a novice, have I misunderstood that draining this type of battery makes it unsafe to use? Sorry if it’s todays dumbest question :(

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

Rik

Only the "Viper Loco 10A HV ESC" is advised for Lithium battery use :)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
As a novice, have I misunderstood that draining this type of battery makes it unsafe to use? Sorry if it’s todays dumbest question :(
Not a dumb question at all..

Lithium-based batteries are difficult (sometimes impossible) to recover, if they are over-discharged.
Therefore 'something' has to be intelligent enough to prevent this.

This intelligence, can be in the speed controller, or even better, built into the battery pack.
This will 'switch-off' the battery, if the cell(s) go below a set voltage.

PhilP

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Aah - I see. I had misunderstood. Thanks for explaining.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
many rechargable battery chemistries can actually experience cell reversal if discharged to "zero"

then when charging is attempted, you have a short effectively... and a lot of current and heat will result.

cell reversal is common even in nicads.... you can find many ways to damage a battery by poor usage.

most modern lithium packs will just shut off (circuit packaged with battery pack) if over-discharged, and it can be difficult to recover this situation..

Greg

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Only the "Viper Loco 10A HV ESC" is advised for Lithium battery use :)
Thanks Jimmy it will now be added to my wish list
:)

Edit
Hmm purchase may have to be delayed due to cost, $49 for Viper Loco 10 and $95 for HV version.
I can buy a lot of NiMh batteries with the difference ;)

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Lithium-based batteries are difficult (sometimes impossible) to recover, if they are over-discharged.

This intelligence, can be in the speed controller, or even better, built into the battery pack.

PhilP
This as I understand it is also an issue for the big boys with busses, trams and likely cars as well. I believe the tech is set to ensure that the batteries are not run below a certain level or indeed above to elongate battery life. When things go wrong the battery fires from thermal runaways are presumably the end result as seen on some of the bus fire YouTube vids I have posted on the busses thread or elsewhere in this forum.

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP
Old belt an braces me has both; a protection board in the pack and a setting in the ESC.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jimmy it will now be added to my wish list
:)

Edit
Hmm purchase may have to be delayed due to cost, $49 for Viper Loco 10 and $95 for HV version.
I can buy a lot of NiMh batteries with the difference ;)
Yes, in the UK £29.99 and £39.99 respectively.

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The repackaging has been completed and I now have one transmitter controlling four locos.
It was actually an easy build once I had the pot values from Trev's blog and forum posts.
This only works for my FWD/REV/Centre Off Esc's, the ones that use servos for direction control would not benefit from this.

Blog updated

Before
Stick Transmitter internals.JPG

After
Transmitter interior.JPG

Front Panel
Knob LED and Switch positions.JPG

Size Comparison

Stick to Repackage comparison 1.JPG

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Fascinating. I'm trying to get my head around what you've done. The board which is in your Tx looks different to the board inside the original Tx. Is there more than one board in your Tx (ie one mounted on top of another)?

I'm assuming that the Rxs respond to different channels. Does that leave any other channels over for controlling things like sound card whistles?

Any chance of a video of it in action, Graeme?

Rik

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The repackaging has been completed and I now have one transmitter controlling four locos.
It was actually an easy build once I had the pot values from Trev's blog and forum posts.
This only works for my FWD/REV/Centre Off Esc's, the ones that use servos for direction control would not benefit from this.

Blog updated

Before
View attachment 303041

After
View attachment 303040

Front Panel
View attachment 303043

Size Comparison

View attachment 303042
That looks interesting, my Funkey has one of those horrible stick things. A planet T5 that does the following.
Left Stick:-
Up/Down forwards speed control
Left Horn
Right Uncouple via Servos
Right Stick:-
Reverce 2 pushes down
Forwards 2 pushes up

Tried to get my Funkey working on a Spoerer Omni Tx-3.0, no such luck. Think I managed Speed Control but not Horn or Couplings. May one day just trash the existing setup and swop for much simpler Fosworks and MLS, ditching the uncoupling function. I have already replaced the batteries so may just as well turn it into a really useful engine. No use at all with the stick rc, a simplifier and uncoupling stick for intermediate wagons when operating.

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Fascinating. I'm trying to get my head around what you've done. The board which is in your Tx looks different to the board inside the original Tx. Is there more than one board in your Tx (ie one mounted on top of another)?

I'm assuming that the Rxs respond to different channels. Does that leave any other channels over for controlling things like sound card whistles?

Any chance of a video of it in action, Graeme?

Rik
The board is mounted with component side up as opposed to component side down in the original.
All the Rx's are on different channels (1 to 4).
As it was a 4 Channel transmitter there are no spare channels but a 6 channel may have 2 spares for whistles but I cannot speak to that as I only have 4 channel transmitters.
It may be possible to use a channel for whistles but that would mean losing a loco in this case (I do not use whistles)

Videos of my railway will have to come in the future once I get my head around producing them (another project to add to the list).