RC Whistles for RC-controlled locomotives

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Some of you may be aware of the whistle modules sold by RCS. Unfortunately, as Tony passed away early this year, all supplies have dried up.

The whistle module was a small pcb that plugged in to a receiver channel, and fed a speaker with a recorded file. They were originally produced by Mike Ridley at MRW for use on boats - his tugboat horn was particularly effective. Tony supplied him with audio files for 1, 3, 5,and 6 chime whistles; the 1 chime was an L&B loco and the others are USA types, some of which I supplied to Tony. He also was working on the Aussie C38 sound file, though I don't know if that ever happened.

Here's a short video of some tests I ran to confirm the effectiveness of the sound:
This file is an Accucraft Countess with a 1-chime module, at about 0.39 on the video:

To get to the point, MRW is still in business and Mike indicates he's willing to supply the modules, but he's not interested in export, as it is just a lot of hassle these days. I am willing to take modules and resell them in the USA, but that means exporting them! So I am looking for someone in the UK to buy a few from MRW and ship them to me in the USA. Obviously, costs will be reimbursed.

I'm not planning to make a long-term commitment to this, so I doubt we are talking about more than a couple of orders over the next year or so.
Anyone interested in helping out?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'd get the MP3 files and just use these here in the US:

battery, speaker, pushbutton or your r/c and an SD card with the MP3 file of your choice...

this stuff is everywhere...

Greg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Some of you may be aware of the whistle modules sold by RCS. Unfortunately, as Tony passed away early this year, all supplies have dried up.

The whistle module was a small pcb that plugged in to a receiver channel, and fed a speaker with a recorded file. They were originally produced by Mike Ridley at MRW for use on boats - his tugboat horn was particularly effective. Tony supplied him with audio files for 1, 3, 5,and 6 chime whistles; the 1 chime was an L&B loco and the others are USA types, some of which I supplied to Tony. He also was working on the Aussie C38 sound file, though I don't know if that ever happened.

Here's a short video of some tests I ran to confirm the effectiveness of the sound:
This file is an Accucraft Countess with a 1-chime module, at about 0.39 on the video:

To get to the point, MRW is still in business and Mike indicates he's willing to supply the modules, but he's not interested in export, as it is just a lot of hassle these days. I am willing to take modules and resell them in the USA, but that means exporting them! So I am looking for someone in the UK to buy a few from MRW and ship them to me in the USA. Obviously, costs will be reimbursed.

I'm not planning to make a long-term commitment to this, so I doubt we are talking about more than a couple of orders over the next year or so.
Anyone interested in helping out?
PM being sent..

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
battery, speaker, pushbutton or your r/c and an SD card with the MP3 file of your choice...
Greg, I'm so glad to hear that you have the expertise and the time to make your own. The rest of us like tlo have a simple plug-and-play solution, which, incidentally, isn't any bigger than a mini-SD and has its own built-in RC-activated switch.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh, the built in RC switch is indeed a timesaver. Is there a simple output on your receivers that could "throw" the switch?

No making here power, speaker and trigger connections only to that module... there's many more.

If there is a simple output from the receiver, easy.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh, the built in RC switch is indeed a timesaver. Is there a simple output on your receivers that could "throw" the switch?

No making here power, speaker and trigger connections only to that module... there's many more.

If there is a simple output from the receiver, easy.
It depends......

The receivers used for live-steam, tend to only have outputs to drive a servo..
Ours also have a 'front' and 'rear' output to drive LEDs..

However, any of the outputs can be programmed to provide a 3.3V logic output.

But, this means asking 'us' (the supplier) or the customer learning how, to do this. - This is a scary, dark-art to many people.

A small board, with the right sound, that plugs straight onto the receiver, and 'just works' is what many want.

PhilP

Reactions: 1 user

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Greg, most receivers just drive servos with a variable pulse. (When Phil says "ours" I think he means the ones he supplies.)
In addition, the servo connection is a standard 3 pin with power on 2 pins and the servo signal on the other, so no extra battery needed. Much easier for most people than roll-your-own.

Reactions: 1 user