RC in a Schoema

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all. I recently converted my Schoema to rc, with a trail wagon carrying the batteries and radio gear, and the loco having it's skates removed, but not the pick ups as I wanted to be able to switch to track power when batteries are dead or when double heading. This worked really well, but I didn't like the trail wagon, especially when shunting, so I attempted to house everything in the loco itself. I know people have done this before, but haven't seen any pics on here of it on here before, so here we are,
The batteries are under the front hood and the speed controller is in the middle in front of the drivers feet
452668ab8e52453f9e6b288bd4eebebb.jpg

6de0d907f53648a28a7ff82323163596.jpg

0cafab69d3a84a10ac9c9f0c8b8e37a7.jpg

The receiver is under the rear hood, 'hot' glued to the lead weight
bc2f631b626e4b32be7243bf7714c6bf.jpg

I enjoyed playing with this for a while, but really wanted some kind of remote uncoupling too. I had a look at the uncouplers avaliable, but didn't fancy the interfacing with the receiver. In my bits box I had a few of the miniature servos knocking about, and proceeded to find if one could be used to operate the rear coupler. If you've ever had one of these apart you'll know there are two blocks that clip onto the motor unit, and the one at the rear has quite a nice hollow space in it. That's all ok on later blocks, but mine is a growler, and the rear block is somewhat smaller. So I swapped this block with my Stainz newer type and with the help of Mr Dremel the servo fits straight in, very snugly. A length of nylon thread was knotted to the servo arm, and a small hole drilled in the bottom of the block. The nylon is threaded through the hole and tied to the rear part of the coupler hook. The coupler still works as normal, with the servo able to pull the hook to disengage from stock. I removed the loop from the coupler (big mistake) to stop the hooks on stock from engaging, which works really well until it comes to pushing stock backwards, especially on curves. The buffers cross, lock behind each other and then the loco flicks the stock off. For now I have made a larger buffer on the rear of the loco, but will replace the loop and just blank off the space that the hooks normally latch into.
7ec54bf58fe7413eb8ab761a605c3a29.jpg

de3c659a763d40b0b689be73fe2855aa.jpg

It works really well, and having a controllable coupler at one end is no problem on my railway as I have reversing loops.
I know there is alot of wiring inside, but I've kept the ability to flick to track power and the provision for double heading. The jack sockets at the ends are for the jumper cables and a charging socket. I get about 4-5 hours constant running, and alot of fun! :D

dudley

All model railways
21 Mar 2010
lowestoft
Best answers
i too have strugled to fit everything in a diesal, youve done great job.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I found it quite tight in there too, it is alot easier with solder tab batteries though :D

DoctorM

Interests: Manifold
2 Jan 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
How is it for adhesion?
Do the batteries weigh less than the missing weight?
Is there any room to to add extra weight under the bonnet above the batteries?

PS: I like the uncoupling arrangements!

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I knew I'd forgotten to write something up there! The batteries weigh less than the original lead weight, and under that end there is no more space. I think it was Whatlep that added extra weight with lead shot in one of these in the cab, and that is certainly something I'm going to look into as there is still a fair bit of room left below the windows there. Adhesion as it is isn't that bad, yesterday she pulled two tankers, two box cars and two coaches up my (quite steep) incline with ease, and that is with a traction tyre that has gone as solid as the other wheels.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Compliments on a nice job squeezing everything in. :clap:

I opted for the cowards route of a trail car, partly to get adhesion in the loco. I now have both the original weights, plus 500 grams where your batteries are, plus a further 500 grams in the cab. Looks like you could get the cab weights in without too much hardship, giving an attractive compromise.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Your efforts paid off. It takes patience to keep at it and get all of the stuff inside the loco. the coupler idea is great. i had seen it somewhere before, most likely on Youtube. Just remind the engineer to be careful where he steps, or he may light up the cab. :D
By the way, where should I start looking for miniature servos?