raised track

barryw

lgb/harz
24 Oct 2009
newport south wales
Best answers
Country flag
with increased mobility issues i'm thinking i will build a layout raised from the ground my main concern is how to minimize the impact on the garden not wanting to make the layout dominate the garden any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated on a similar note i would like to cast a 20ft viaduct on a curve in concrete what width would i need to make the arches between the uprights has anyone done it and made a realistic looking job thank you
or is it another pipe dream!!
barry w

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
hi barry, it is possable, if you have the time andput the effort in.. :)
mine was built up, 2ft off the ground , on treated timber , fake grass ,roofing felt for roads,cast concreat viaduct,...
5bd3894b36954570b656ab98f5fef780.jpg

0d44683091944614a9c2c5b2aad2d83d.jpg

fad21ed166344631a5f60a23abb8f37e.jpg

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers
David Jenkinson did have such a layout, but finding pictures of it online has proven fruitless. But here is a german chap's go at a viaduct
http://www.buntbahn.de/modellbau/viewtopic.php?t=7330&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 < Link To http://www.buntbahn.de/mo...torder=asc&start=0

Also, you might consider simply going for Cain Howleys premade items.
http://www.cainhowleystructures.co.uk/viaduct--bridge.html < Link To http://www.cainhowleystru...k/viaduct--bridge.html
Rather reasonably priced I think, but postage is not cheap at all... £600 to get two "starters" to Norway.. grumpf....
So looks like I have to "steal" Bertel's idea

barryw

lgb/harz
24 Oct 2009
newport south wales
Best answers
Country flag
Mike thank you i have always admired your efforts unfortunately or fortunately i need to build it in the middle of the garden possibly on 4x4 posts and will need to plant around the structure to minimize the inpact

Hagan
what a wonderful link a fantastic railway why beyond my ability's, shame google interprets badly in this case but once again thank you
barryw

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
I think one of the Pecorama layouts is 'plank on stick' construction with privet planted either side, so that the end result is the railway running on top of a privet hedge. Sounds weird but looks o.k. in the photos I've seen.

Trainman

All narrow gauge and industrial railways,
26 Oct 2009
Auckland
Best answers
Barry,

Over 5 years ago now I rebuilt my railway on posts. I used a method of "track spline". It is a matter of gathering trellis timber and spacing it and glueing it into straight and pre curved sections. I chose a minimum radii (for me R3) and made a former and screwed and glued it. So far it has all held together splendidly- and others are now looking at the idea. All we do is plant the trees then trim them as they grow up around the track. Therefore you still have the greenery like in a normal railway.

barryw

lgb/harz
24 Oct 2009
newport south wales
Best answers
Country flag
railwayman198 said:
I think one of the Pecorama layouts is 'plank on stick' construction with privet planted either side, so that the end result is the railway running on top of a privet hedge. Sounds weird but looks o.k. in the photos I've seen.
Thank you Railwayman i had hoped to get away from that look but i agree with you as to looks i might have to go with that
barryw

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Here's one way :D

d33e89584ab648c2a8140df7c27bd854.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
railwayman198 said:

The Peco layout uses Lonicera to achieve the layout on Trees effect, we have done the same thing at the Ruschbahn but it has taken a while to get going due to being in front of a row of Leylandai. It is beginning to look good now though. However any tallish thin shrub that takes to being razored will fit the bill.
JonD

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers
You could built it with real 1/1 bricks, I have seen those done many times in Garden rail

pbmm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
hi barry as you can see the pbmm is off ground and as long as no track is not more than an arms lengh from the edge of your baseboard most things are possible. as for hideing it if its in the center of the garden dont bother just make a feature of it and dont forget the ground is not the only solution to grow shrubs and plants a lot of my greenery is growing in plant troughs inset into the base top and the only the grass is not what it should be like this
33078401e95646ce958162aa1197b9fc.jpg

pbmm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
o and if your wondering im almost finished a magor rebuild of the pbmm and the pic was taken back in april this year

barryw

lgb/harz
24 Oct 2009
newport south wales
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my request it has certainly been helpful
pbmm that looks really neat and tidy i had thought of the trough idea for the plants and in anticipation i have purchased a good number of fur trees from focus closing down sale which at the last price were only a pound each down from two for six pounds i think i'm going to pick a part of the garden that is least used and have a small raised run once again thank you all
barryw

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
Hi Barry,
How about this,they're old plastic shelves we had when we gave our shop up.You can have them any height or size you like and they're cheap.We just put decking boards and roofing felt on top.You can use 1.3/4" plastic pipe if you want it higher.
09507923a983400d8ce76dcaec0808a2.jpg
c6878806551844caad4cf610f08793fb.jpg

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
It's pretty strong as well.
ff2fb2e4ac1c44a3a8bb1fab29568327.jpg

metzbahner

Registered
10 May 2010
www.etsy.com
Best answers
If I had a garden layout I would raise my track on PVC piping lengths. You can slice and dice these at will, they are meant to go into the ground so they won't deteriorate, and they are strong...and i would imagine, relatively cheap cost wise. you can either use them as posts or you can build little stacks like abutments out of them either way they would last.