Rainy Day Projects

Shawn

Hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing
We have had rain the last 5 days and im getting tired of it. Got over 5 inches in a four day period. Making up for the dry summer. What to do? I decided I was not happy with the logging camp and sawmill. I started with the portable sawmill. I added wood flooring to the mill and redid the log ramp and added a platform for the cut lumber. I also re-did the carraige and saw. I finished it off with some details. I also added sawdust glued to the floor and bark. The saw I did very basic since it is not very visible in its location. I just have to make some cut lumber for the platform, add a little more detail to the camp and I need to get a traction engine to power the mill. (maybe if I take one from Mik's layout he will think the kids did it :) )
I also made a few signs for my buildings. Nothing fancy just something fast and rustic looking for a logging camp. The sawmill is named Snooks Lumber Mill. My local area had a lot of lumber and grist mills, most were water powered. One lumber Mill in my area was the Snook Lumber Mill. There are no pictures of the mill and all that is left is the stone dam built on the Stony Brook in Stokes SF. I aslo built a spring house for the RR. Like the mills my area had a lot of spring houses around built of stone and wood. Now I just need a few months for everything to weather nice. I also updated my blog site. Check it out link in signiture.
25rclqr.jpg

207ayjs.jpg

Spring House
ofve3s.jpg

SOme signs
9u2bex.jpg

v645th.jpg

2py6lac.jpg

I also got an aristo 2 axle box car to go with the flats. I repainted and weathered it. Just need to order more decals
2eml995.jpg

Cant you tell I was bored. LOL

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Excellent as always Shawn, But rain? you should visit here, another 106f scorcher at my house and once again over 120f in the workshop! But were supposed to get rain in the north bay on Sunday??........................

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Our summer also ended towards the end of July so we in the UK are busy on rainy day projects in the UK too. Whatever happened to global warming, or is more rain part of the result?
JonD

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Now have monsoon season instead of summer!

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah the weather has certainly gone pear-shaped over here. It was positively cold in the workshop/garage the other evening.

All the things that I wanted to get done on the layout for next month's open day have gone up in smoke as everytime I get to it, the heavens open. The rain and wind also gives us garden railmen another gift, All the stuff that comes off the plants, bushes and trees as well as the washing away of the finer cosmetic ballast :wits:

So more time in the workshop :D....if it gets any colder I'll be braking out a jumper! August eh :bleh:

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Rain? send it this way, was 111 yesterday at home, in-laws got pummeled with rain and t-storms in Palmdale yesterday, might get some more today, but not us, all we get is the heat.

Nice projects, been sticking to my workbench as well, just finished a Piko building workover, trying to finish all the building before I ballast the tracks and roadways on my tiny tiny layout

Geez Paul, 120 in the shop?, Ouch! even my garage never gets hotter than the surrounding ambient temp, but then it is an insulated garage.

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
Our summer also ended towards the end of July so we in the UK are busy on rainy day projects in the UK too. Whatever happened to global warming, or is more rain part of the result?
JonD

More atmospheric heat => more evaporation => increased atmospheric moisture => increased atmospheric energy => shifting global weather patterns => more rainfall in some areas much less in others => some of those storms will be very intense storms.

Look at the recent flooding in China and Pakistan, also look the flooding that happened in your country last year. Theres been a long string of record flooding from unprecidented rainfall amounts all around the world in the last few years along with catastrophic wildfires from droughts (Russia, Oz, and outside my backdoor last year). I think it will be sadly normal to see stories like Pakistan and Russia in the coming years.

Good excuse for me to stay indoors at home and mess with my trains.