Rain water from roof for boiler feed water

E

Elmtree Line

The water should be fine, just make sure you filter it, preferably with wine making filters as they are much finer than those used for making real coffee.

:clap:

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Over here in South Australia, I have been using rain water from my tanks, put through a coffee filter, for ten years in four live steam locos without a problem.

Peter

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
welcome muzza, perhaps you ought to organise a steam up. We can all come to central Vic.

The 10litre container Grant referred to is the one I use. It also comes in a 5 litre container but the cost saving is not there.
I have only found it available at Coles.

mike bickford

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Harden Murrumburrah NSW Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Muzza, from another Aussie live steamer.
I have 8000 litres of rainwater tanks, mainly for bush fire fighting supplies in summer and a bit of garden watering. I have started using it for loco water as well, using a Woolworths 'own brand' water filter jug with the replaceable cartridges. The cartridges are good for about 150 litres of water so I should be right for a while. After filtering I store the water in plastic bottles out of the sun and add a little bit of peroxide to kill off any algae.

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
I just pray that the fires keep away from you. it is beautiful country around Berowra.

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
I collect my rainwater from the greenhouse roof in a water butt. Then filtered as and when needed. Just have to remember not to use it all for watering the tomato plants!