http://www.dragon-gscale.co.uk/over-the-joiner-clamps-2496-p.asp < Link To
over-the-joiner-clamps-2496-p[ekm]106x80[ekm].jpg

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Cheers for that link.
Are they the ones that go round the fishplate?
And... Why did you pick that type?
:D
Steve

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
yes they do fit over the fishplate
- and that's why I picked this make because you don't have to dismantle the track to fit them
also they are available from Jeremy, who is not far away, and a good supplier
and you can get insulated ones, and ones to use not over fishplates, if you see what I mean
not very cheap, but effective

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Cheers Paul.
Think i will be going for th non fishplate ones as i have no layout yet.
Effectiveness is what im after.

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
no problem
good luck with the layout
joints on straights should be ok with fishplates alone, if you use LGB paste or similar (if using rail power)- saves a few bob
- and ok on bends if not under tension

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Steve,
my preference is for Aristocraft track because you screw the fishplate to the rail and this makes quite an effective electrical connection. Most of my track has been down four or five years and the only rail joints I have any probs with (and it is only a couple anyway) is on the LGB track. I didn't use any conductive paste - maybe I should have done.

Mick

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Mez said:
Hi.
Looking into these .
What are peoples preferences.
Makes tips ect.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve

I too use Split Jaw rail clamps. I've tried others (Hillman and AML), but find them much less easy to use, quite simply because there is inherently less flexibility of movement in the other brands. Whichever brand you choose, buy a purpose-designed "hex driver" (i.e. a screwdriver with a hexagonal end) to tighten the bolts. Using an Allen key on rail clamps tends to lead to scarred paws.

The problem in the UK is getting hold of Split Jaw clamps. Jeremy has been out of stock for a while and some other stores advertising them don't have them as normal stock items either, as I found out recently.

Depending on how many you need, it can be worth ordering direct from the USA, though the weight of parcel and any taxes payable need to be factored in. You can order here: http://www.railclamp.com/

Shawn

Hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing
trammayo said:
Hi Steve,
my preference is for Aristocraft track because you screw the fishplate to the rail and this makes quite an effective electrical connection. Most of my track has been down four or five years and the only rail joints I have any probs with (and it is only a couple anyway) is on the LGB track. I didn't use any conductive paste - maybe I should have done.

Mick

I have to agree with Mick. The Aristo set up is great. If a bad connection ever occures all youneed to do is tighten the screws or loosen then retighten. For turnouts I use the Aristo rail clamps. I chose these because of the affordablity when compared to slit Jaw etc....

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Cheers for info.
All good.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have used both Split Jaw and AML.

Initially, I liked Split Jaw best but having used many more AML, I find them easy, fast and reliable. They're smaller so disappear into my ballast better. Importantly they are also cheaper, and with their recent special offers, have been very good value.

I do have Split Jaw tool, which is OK, but I use an allen key in my electric screwdriver for the AML ones and that is perfect.

I have used the Split Jaw over-fishplate clamps but didn't see any benefit, so stopped using them.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
I use Hillmans, a few split jaw, and an even smaller number of the Massoth ones.

I much prefer the Hillmans they fit so much better, designed specifically for the track you are using so I have some of the ones to fit LGB and also some designed for Tenmille. I use the split jaw heavy duty power connectors because Hillmans don't make anything comparable. The Massoth ones don't seem to hold the track as securely as the others. Don't go for the over fishplate versions, the fishplates are easy to remove and the clamps work better without the fishplate. I have some of the isolating Hillmans ones, but I think these would be better if they had an integral plastic bit to keep the rails apart, rather than rely on a sperate insulator being used. For isolating the Massoth ones aren't bad.

You do need to get the ball drivers offered for sale with the clamps, they are imperial sizes and hard to find separately in the UK. Also unfortunately Hillmans and Split Jaw use different sizes.

The majority of mine were ordered directly from the States but I've not had to buy any since Hillmans sold out to Silvergate.

Hope that helps, ask if you need anything more.

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Lots of good info.
:clap:

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Another thing, don't overtighten the screws, do them hand tight, certainly don't use a mechanical driver of any sort.

The screws will bend, and possibly break. The 'head' of the screw can be damaged and it may not be possibly to easily remove and reuse the clamps. This is particularly so with the Split Jaw types, but not quite so true with the better designed Hillmans, even so don't overtighten the Hillmans. Do check for any lose screws once a year, but with the Hillmans it is rare to find any.