Rail centre to centre dimension

TerrySoham

Registered
20 Jan 2010
Best answers
Having moved house last year, I am now planning my new railway. I want to build a round the edge of the garden, double tracked, layout using conventional LGB type products. My minimum radius curve will be 2400mm. By trial and error I have established that the rail centre to rail centre needs to be 160mm. Anybody got any other dimension before I make a start?
Terry

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
TerrySoham said:
Having moved house last year, I am now planning my new railway. I want to build a round the edge of the garden, double tracked, layout using conventional LGB type products. My minimum radius curve will be 2400mm. By trial and error I have established that the rail centre to rail centre needs to be 160mm. Anybody got any other dimension before I make a start?
Terry

LGB quote 185 mm between track centres for radii of R3 and above, which at 2400 mm (or 8ft in old money) is what I believe you need. If you have a pair of R3 points for a crossover between the tracks, then you can confirm this measurement yourself....

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
Yes, i wouldnt go too narrow.

though 2400 radius is a very nice bow where u have to use less or none widening of the centre-to-centre measurement.
Just a tip:
dont make the faults many builders make:

1.) it seems that u have some space to build. better give the tracks some mm more between.
2.) dont use JUST two different vehicles to test such things. take the suspected candidates and test them if u can two same cars vis-a-vis, or if u have just one candidate for big outranges, take a pen or pencil and hold it down on the outer edges AND on the inner middle of the car. Like this u can "plot" your critical-area-bows to see or measure hoe far u have to stay away.
Use this for buildings, bridge-piles, abutments, retaining-walls etc., too!

If u are just testing two different (but the 2 worse) cars, it could be that for some reason of geometry they dont touch each other, while they DO with other rolling stock.

AND i would let 15-20mm security distance on top.

Example:
I run Bachmann connies, one with a big plow in front (the K27-plow).
I mustnt think of any distance under 200mm!
So, while the connies reach far OUT because of the long front-frame, the passengercoaches reach far IN because in thight curves, they "cut" the curve with their length. So i always have to test:

1.) connie vs. connie
2.) connie vs. coach (outside dia.)
3.) connie vs. coach (inside dia.)
4.) coach vs. coach

each test forwards and backwards. dont forget that especially the locos with long front frame tend to jiggle. push them to the "most outside" position while testing.

Greetings

Frank

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Now for the un-technical reply.

it's worth looking at some photos of narrow gauge railways aeound the station/yard/depot area (depending upon your chosen whim)

Wherever you look, apart from Porthmadog (Ffestiniog) there always appears to be acres of space between the tracks :-

So, the answer should be - have the most massive gap that you can fit in to your space - but 160 mm centre to centre sounds a bit tight, unless you're going to stick with short wheelbase stuff.

I set my loop out with 8 fts and 10 fts (diameter that is, which says to me that I've got 1 foot centre to centre (or 300 mm in euros) and that's just about OK :D:D

TerrySoham

Registered
20 Jan 2010
Best answers
Thanks for your input fellow members.

I have decided to take the "bull by the horns" and actually construct two pieces of track of the required radius and then check the worst case centre to centre.

I will let the forum know the result.

Terry

TerrySoham said:
Terry

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I used the distance(offset) of a pair of R1 points about 190-200mm. Alot of people forget about this when laying track. I run long RHB coaches aound R1 R2 curves and have never had a comming together. Hope this helps

Geoff the garden nav

Aristocraft locos & rolling stock, mid C20th to co
31 Oct 2009
Leicester, UK
Best answers
I agree, I built my first passing loop with 165mm centre to centre clearance partly on a curve, the inside radius is 1500mm, I run Aristocraft US outline mostly 40 foot waggons and U25Bs. Nothing actually catches, there is just enough clearance but it looks wrong. Reserching on the internet 165mm is 14 feet at 1 to 29 scale which is supposed to be the AAR standard on main lines, presumably on the stright and curves, the distance does'nt seem to open up in photos on curves. its just one of those things that 200mm works better and looks better in G scale.

Geoff the garden navvie

JonathanJ

South African Railways, Garratts, PRR.
24 Oct 2009
Tyne and Wear
Best answers
DELETED, WRONG THREAD.
Own stupid fault, Sorry.