Radio Control For Semaphore Signals

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 5 users

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for this Rik. You must be very dexterous to control the trains with one hand and the signals with the other! :) Are you thinking of automating the signals in some way?

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dave
To make the video I had to be even more octopus-like - which is why the camera work is a bit shaky in places.
Theoretically, I could have it automated - in fact Greg has automated his signalling to some extent. In practice though, it's quite satisfying to swap roles as signalman and engine driver. There should be much more of a leisurely delay between the signaling and the train movements than there is in the video and so, in a normal session, the juggling is a lot less urgent.

Rik

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dave
To make the video I had to be even more octopus-like - which is why the camera work is a bit shaky in places.
Theoretically, I could have it automated - in fact Greg has automated his signalling to some extent. In practice though, it's quite satisfying to swap roles as signalman and engine driver. There should be much more of a leisurely delay between the signaling and the train movements than there is in the video and so, in a normal session, the juggling is a lot less urgent.

Rik

Now remind me again... just where is it that the broom goes....?

David

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Now remind me again... just where is it that the broom goes....?

David

If you don't know....

You were obviously in management!!

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just uploaded a blog post showing how I used a cheapo keyfob transmitter to operate my semaphore signals by radio control. Many thanks to Gregh for his help, especially with the bounce procedures for the signal arm.

http://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2016/02/how-i-used-picaxe-to-operate-semaphore.html

Rik

Great stuff Rik.
Without Greg my LGB loco would still be running silent.
Gotta love Picaxe, I have a basic servo crossing program somewhere which I will drag out upon retirement.