R5 points for crossover

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Evening all!
I'm planning a crossover between two running lines but want to avoid the R1 reverse curve problem.
If I use R5 points, curve to curve, will the track centres be maintained as it would be with the R1 points?
Sorry if this is an obvious question but geometry is not my strong point :D

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Thank you for that and real quick too.
I love this place, I've been scratching my head all afternoon :D

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Arc for R5 points is 15 degree....

Bredebahn

Cinema, Garden Railway, Private Flying (licenced p
25 Oct 2009
A field near Rye, in beautiful East Sussex.
Best answers
Whether or not it works straight out of the box, with a short length of off-cut rail, a couple or two of fishplates, and a decent mini hacksaw, the track centres can be whatever you want them to be. It isn't difficult!

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
From the diagram that Stockers posted, it seems that the track centres will be 165mm, the same as R1 points.

As BB mentions, this can be increased by adding a short length of track, but then your track lengths will be staggered.

R5 points are 600mm long, twice that of the R1 points....

Andrew WH

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Hi All

Please can I advise that the track centers are certainly different when connecting R1 and R3 points face to face without any intermediate sections of track. I would check on my layout, but I am too much of a coward to face the 6 inches of snow on my layout. I think the centres for the R1 points are about 150 or 155mm. With R3 points this is about 25mm greater.

Andrew in very snowy High Wycombe

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Thanks for all your help gents, I might even get it all running properly next year!

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
...and (like most times the discussions comes on that point) i suggest using thiel-tracks.

One of the biggest differences to other stuff is the straight track-part from the frog out, even on the bow-string.

So fitting two thiel-switches to an s-curved connection, it will have automatically a straight track between the curves. That is very important for save operations, in my opinion its more important than just to use a wide radius.

Like the diameter-discussion from a straight line into a curve:
Every time u change your diameter, u get a hard cut in smooth running. Especially when going from a straight line into a curve of ANY shape.
So that cut is as less worst, as you can open that curve with using wide diameters.
If u have , say 9 or 10 feet for making a loop, so its better to use wide trackdiamters while entering the loop and then use a bit tighter diameter on the loops mainlength. So, some 40, then 20, then 10 and in the main part 7 feet diamter instead of using an 8 feet dia through the whole curve.

having a straight trackline between two s-curves (ANY S-curve, not just switches) avoids a kind of hard cut in curvature, that u get while fitting twi curves directly together:
not just that u are running from a straight to a curve, u are running from one curve to the opposite curve. thats VERY hard, even with using R5.

So, all people here are investing MUCH time in building up their garden RR.
Take the time to cut out the switch-curves a bit, or use thiel-switches or some other, that have a straight frog, too.

Its worth every minute and every Cent.

I dont like to see my expensive rolling stock "edging" through ridiculous track-labyrinths. At a time i started not to buy the 12th oer 13th locomotive, but to invest a bit money in wellmade track.

Its worth...

Greetings

Frank

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Andrew WH said:
Hi All

Please can I advise that the track centers are certainly different when connecting R1 and R3 points face to face without any intermediate sections of track. I would check on my layout, but I am too much of a coward to face the 6 inches of snow on my layout. I think the centres for the R1 points are about 150 or 155mm. With R3 points this is about 25mm greater.

Andrew in very snowy High Wycombe
I will save you the bother of having to go wrap up warm and go out in the snow Andrew!

Track centres for R1 points in a crossover configuration are 165mm, and for R3 points will be 185mm.

Also, the arcs are 30 deg for R1 points and 22.5 deg for R3....

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
Here are some pics (sorry, no really usefull ones because of the deep snow.....just searched the library...)

first two are of my centre station without any trains in. when u take a careful look, even the y-switches have straight frogs.

2489e21e8d244d6886bbc34b96ac0717.jpg

b7e38763a9fc4b79b880762d2f022128.jpg

The thrid picture shows (more by accident) the "thiel-gleis" crossover in the background with 2 pieces of 15 degree 600mm (about 2 feet) switches with a 2000mm radius (about 6 or 7 feet).
I have a small straight line from about 2 or three inches additionally between the switches to open the parallel-width of tracks, because my "snow-plow-connie" needs at least 170mm width on straight track.

62c2c40f56aa45c7932bedf631f772d8.jpg

Greetings

Frank

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
coyote97 said:
Here are some pics (sorry, no really usefull ones because of the deep snow.....just searched the library...)

first two are of my centre station without any trains in. when u take a careful look, even the y-switches have straight frogs.

The thrid picture shows (more by accident) the "thiel-gleis" crossover in the background with 2 pieces of 15 degree 600mm (about 2 feet) switches with a 2000mm radius (about 6 or 7 feet).
I have a small straight line from about 2 or three inches additionally between the switches to open the parallel-width of tracks, because my "snow-plow-connie" needs at least 170mm width on straight track.

Greetings

Frank

Nice track work there Frank....