R1 points

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Am i right in thinking most locos will go over r1 points ok as long
as there is a lesser radius after or a straight and before.
Seen as i see as "This wont run on R1 curves "
How many r1 curves can the longer locos go over.
If that makes sence! :D

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
So if you put say an lgb r1 point then an r1 curve (setrack)then straights next to your main line on a siding.
Sort of track diagram.
r1 curve --------------- -siding or pass
r1 point/--------------------------- -mainline
Lol Very Technical Drawing!

matthew

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire
Best answers
You could do it as you say Mez, but even a small (6") straight section between points is better than non at all :)?

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Most LGB locos do. Others well I think it pays to read the details before buying one

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Not sure this is the answer you wanted but r1 points are a r1 curve and a normal straight combined
so any loco will go along and over the straight bit but a lot of bigger non lgb locos wont go around the bend and that is because some with more than 2 wheels per bogie that have flanges on the center wheels ride up on the inner rail this applies to rad 1and 2 curves also. Rad 3 is ok but very tight. puting straights next to them makes no difference its the rad of the curve thats the problem
i can draw a diagram if i have confused you more
tony

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Im opened minded at the moment just working out whats best radius wise(Bigger i know).

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Tony said:
Not sure this is the answer you wanted but r1 points are a r1 curve and a normal straight combined
so any loco will go along and over the straight bit but a lot of bigger non lgb locos wont go around the bend and that is because some with more than 2 wheels per bogie that have flanges on the center wheels ride up on the inner rail this applies to rad 1and 2 curves also. Rad 3 is ok but very tight. puting straights next to them makes no difference its the rad of the curve thats the problem
i can draw a diagram if i have confused you more
tony

Good explanation.
I even understand it.
Cheers.

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Philbahn said:
Most LGB locos do. Others well I think it pays to read the details before buying one

Cheers.
Will keep my eye out!

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Phil said:
it really depends on the size of the loco mate.......
if you had a big boy------> http://www.dragon-gscale.co.uk/big-boy-locomotive-prestige-series-diecast-metal-2148-p.asp < Link To http://www.dragon-gscale....ecast-metal-2148-p.asp
all LGB will run on R1 curves and points but others such as aristocraft, USA trains and other big american models won't run because there just too long

Cheers for link.
Sold out!
What Raduis roughly would that need as its not mentioned.

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Just thinking even to get one large radius cuircit and passing loop in the future for visiting super monster sized locos. ;)

matthew

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire
Best answers
On the link, the last picture in the top row of pictures shows half a curve, stating 16ft diamater, which would be 8ft radius :)

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Blimey thats large.
Flexi track then lol.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
What i have done to cut down on cost is build a "mainline" that use's rad 3 curves as a minimum it has lots of rad 1 points that big locos can go over that only smaller LGB types can turn off on into sidings, stations, passing places and branchlines its a bit like the real thing with local trains giving way to the express i have fitted 2 rad 3 points and will fit more when they turn up so that the larger stuff can park up out of the way but in the real world large express types didnt often use branch lines (yes there are exceptions) but on my railway they dont due to under investment in the track budget and it gives operational interest

the yellow lines are the center wheels and if fitted with flanges as most aristo etc are it becomes messy.

Can anyone tell me do all LGB locos have the center flanges removed i only have 2 x 0-4-0 LGBs so cant check

Untitled.jpg
"

just to plug my video you might see what i mean. The Aristo mallet and the 66 can only use the mainline at the moment the 66 is stuck in the siding as it was placed there as all the points and curves with in the mainline are r1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwwalmeFjlc

Tony

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Cheers Tony
See what you mean Tony and your thinking.
Just running the trains the right way as you do makes sence too.
I think ive read lots of times the lgb locos all go round r1

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Tony said:
Can anyone tell me do all LGB locos have the center flanges removed i only have 2 x 0-4-0 LGBs so cant check

play in the axles.
"
Some of them do but the larger locos rely on clever articulation of the driving wheels at the mid-point and a lot of lateral play in the driving axles.
Some larger Accucraft and Bachmann locos have flangeless central drivers but a more rigid chassis. The Accucraft Caledonia has centre flangeless wheel which on an R1 runs beyond the inside/outside of the rail!

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
korm kormsen said:
not all locos of all brands go round R1.
but even with those, that do - are you sure, that you want to see something like this?

bachmann-loco.JPG

bachmann-loco1.JPG
Cheers Korm for posting them.
Something to consider.

Bredebahn

Cinema, Garden Railway, Private Flying (licenced p
25 Oct 2009
A field near Rye, in beautiful East Sussex.
Best answers
Simple answer - go as large as you can afford both in space and cash, even though you may not appreciate the benefit at this moment in time. You will at some point (pardon the pun!) in the future. This applies to curves as well.

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Will indeed Bredebahn.
will prob go r5
This thread has helped alot.
Cheers for answers people..