Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
b437bbbf7a0747c5961370c00003479f.jpg

My trailer layout is battery powered and analogue (so am I - well analogue!) and I often find myself outside the trailer and then having to get in quickly to turn the controls off because something has derailed. Often the fuse blows before I reach my objective.

My brother found this two-function remote control on Maplins website. It works off 12 volts and I am going to use it to "kill" the power to the controller in case of emergency. The other function I may well use to operate a remote point (not yet installed) on a further extension of the track. The transmitter range is 70 metres - I never get that far away thpugh:rofl:

0dab92b549374c9c94041c9675663971.jpg

Its six weeks to the first show and I can't do anything untill the weather is better but I going to give it a try.

I also bought a remote controlled socket for the mains powered transformer on the garden line. Since extending the line I often find myself on the wrong side of the bridge when I want to either start or stop something. My brother uses them all the time at home and brought one for me to try. 30 metre range - more than enough!

fdc6ecf8fc7d48f080e77288bc9bcc2c.jpg

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well with the weather more like winter (and high winds) it isn't much fun outside. I decided to fit the remote unit to my trailer layout which, unfortunately it is back in the hay shed. So I had to sort out what I needed and switch on the power to the barn.

Once I had got lighting in the trailer and a stool to sit on, I started to open up the small control panel to get to the power feed. In addition to the remote control unit, my brother advised that a suitable relay would better cope with power surges and protect the more expensive remote from damage. I being an electronics numpty, got him to wire up the relay and the remote unit so all I had to do was make the required connections. After cursing for quite some time (awkward space, blah, blah) I succeeded in my efforts.

Loco was tested and the remote and relay worked just fine. If the remote should fail, the relay is normally closed so I can still operate the layout.

Remote and relay mounted....

7c42054ca8b14bb985dc3409f022689e.jpg

Overview...

e75167a14d7449c7bdd0607aa9b49c83.jpg

And the control area viwed from the spectator's side...

25f33cdad5e24785b6067d3eecea823f.jpg

And then I came in for a hot cuppa - and I'm staying in for the rest of the day:rofl:

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Mick That seems a job well done, saves you hurdling the rails to switch off after a derailment.:D
I see you have the North Pole and Southern loco. I bought one new for a song a few years ago with the intention of re-spraying it black but there was such an outcry from SWMBO and son no 2 that it was "too nice" to be vandalised that it remains untouched. It has to be said that it is a superb paint job. When I first got it it was a jerky runner but now without any alterations it is fine. I suspect the blackening of the wheels was the cause of the problems

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I'm surprised you aren't using something like the Aristocraft Train Engineer Mick?

It has a STOP button for just such a problem, although you have to be sure to buy the version that doesn't go to 'sleep' mode.

However, your brother's good idea is just as, well, good....

annieshalt

garden railways
24 Oct 2009
CLEVELAND
Best answers
we use these plugs to switch on and off low lying plugs that we cant bend down to reach. they are brilliant.:D:D

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Gizzy, unfortunately I know nothing about the Train Engineer (what power source it hooks up to, voltage, etc). If anybody could explain what I need for running off 12 volt batteries I would, indeed be a wiser man (providing I print off the explanation:rofl:).

Is it just for shutting off the power or is it a controller in its' own right? At the moment I'm using a simple 3amp control (like IP Engineering's battery loco type) with sectioned track, and a reversing switch. I run up to four trains at once with this method - although it does need due diligence!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
annieshalt said:
we use these plugs to switch on and off low lying plugs that we cant bend down to reach. they are brilliant.:D:D

Yes, I'm beginning to think a few more (for domestic duties) might be a boon:rofl:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
trammayo said:
Hi Gizzy, unfortunately I know nothing about the Train Engineer (what power source it hooks up to, voltage, etc). If anybody could explain what I need for running off 12 volt batteries I would, indeed be a wiser man (providing I print off the explanation:rofl:).

Is it just for shutting off the power or is it a controller in its' own right? At the moment I'm using a simple 3amp control (like IP Engineering's battery loco type) with sectioned track, and a reversing switch. I run up to four trains at once with this method - although it does need due diligence!
It is effectively a R/C train Transmitter and Receiver, which will run from a 12V battery in lieu of a conventional Power Supply Unit. It has 10 channels.

http://www.dragon-gscale.co.uk/aris...s-walkaround-transmitter--receiver-2275-p.asp

With mine, I used it to control track voltage, but Don Gilham and Dudley use it to control individual locos (battery powered). Each loco has its own Receiver in this case? I used an LGB controller to supply power at first, until I brought a 24V 5A PSU. I could have just as easily connected it to a battery though.

The original system works on 27MHZ band and is available new from GRS and Dragon, as well as second hand, but there is now the Aristocraft Revolution which is 2.4GHz.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the explanation Gizzy. I don't think I would go down that road as it would be too expensive for my needs at the moment:clap: