Question about miscellaneous transformers

Boomerps2

Registered
4 Mar 2019
Spokane, WA
Best answers
Hello all,

I just recently posted in the "New Members" thread and have a question about some transformers. I will be using a 10 Amp Bridgewerks transformer for my new layout. I have four LGB starter pack transformers and an Aristo-Craft power supply and controller laying around. Is there anything I can with these on my new layout? Power lights/building & switch track?...or is that best done with my Bridgewerks transformer. Trying to figure if I should keep these or get rid of them. Thanks

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
what Aristo power supply and controller, model numbers or pictures will help.

Keep the starter pack transformers perhaps to power lighted buildings, not good for much over 1 LGB motor and can be strained on an Aristo or USAT loco.

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

Boomerps2

Registered
4 Mar 2019
Spokane, WA
Best answers
what Aristo power supply and controller, model numbers or pictures will help.

Keep the starter pack transformers perhaps to power lighted buildings, not good for much over 1 LGB motor and can be strained on an Aristo or USAT loco.

Greg
Here you go...also two more LGB 5003/110's in the box

Attachments

• 15861275435696489614536528811681.jpg
    15861275435696489614536528811681.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 0

Boomerps2

Registered
4 Mar 2019
Spokane, WA
Best answers
Use the Aristo controller, and maybe run it in a switchyard, and use the power supply.. 4 amps is ok in a switchyard, so you can run 2 trains at once on DC
If I recall, forward only worked with no reverse. Was this common powering LGB engines with an Aristo transformer? I'll check real quick.

Boomerps2

Registered
4 Mar 2019
Spokane, WA
Best answers
Yep, forward works. Reverse just overloads the transformer and resets the controller and will repeat this process with nothing on the track.

Boomerps2

Registered
4 Mar 2019
Spokane, WA
Best answers
What about these?

Attachments

• 15861298331686604290066243009453.jpg
    15861298331686604290066243009453.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 0

Boomerps2

Registered
4 Mar 2019
Spokane, WA
Best answers
Also, have quite a bit of buildings and street lights that will need to have lights. Is it beneficial to upgrade all my bulbs to LED and what will be the limit on the LGB 5003 starter kit transformers for LED lights if thats all I'm using the transformer for? Thank you again.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 1
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Using LEDs is a different world from using incandescents, as they operate on current, not voltage (a simplification) If you put a number in series then you can run a fair number from your transformers.

It would be best to read a primer on using LEDs, as opposed to putting a tutorial here. In a few words, you need about 3.6 volts and probably 10 milliamperes per LED, so putting 5 in series would take about 3.6 * 5 = 18 volts about the max output of your transformer.

Wired that way, 5 LEDs take 10 milliamps, and your LGB supplies are aboutg 0.7 or 1.0 amps, I don't have their specs. in the worst case, one transformer could support 350 LEDs which I am sure is more than enough. You need to ensure polarity of the transformer and in the series string of 5... parallel more of the 5 LED strings up to the capacity of the transformer.

Greg

Boomerps2

Registered
4 Mar 2019
Spokane, WA
Best answers
Using LEDs is a different world from using incandescents, as they operate on current, not voltage (a simplification) If you put a number in series then you can run a fair number from your transformers.

It would be best to read a primer on using LEDs, as opposed to putting a tutorial here. In a few words, you need about 3.6 volts and probably 10 milliamperes per LED, so putting 5 in series would take about 3.6 * 5 = 18 volts about the max output of your transformer.

Wired that way, 5 LEDs take 10 milliamps, and your LGB supplies are aboutg 0.7 or 1.0 amps, I don't have their specs. in the worst case, one transformer could support 350 LEDs which I am sure is more than enough. You need to ensure polarity of the transformer and in the series string of 5... parallel more of the 5 LED strings up to the capacity of the transformer.

Greg
Thank you Gregg. You sir are a wealth of knowledge. Is there a post somewhere that relates to powering LED lighting?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have written a little something on my site:

But there's a ton of information out there on LEDs, I would Google LED Tutorial, or LED Basics.

An inexpensive volt meter is something you should have, and you can get a serviceable one for about $5 from harbor freight.

meter.gif

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
LEDs also have the advantage of not blowing like normal bulbs, so if you fit them in buildings, you're not going to have to take the buildings apart too often to replace bulbs

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You can also use one of the older transformers for 18V AC for your points.. :)

Could be the same one you use for lights..

PhilP.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Note: the LEDs need DC, not AC... since you have so many, keeping the power supplies for the LEDs and the points motors separate might keep confusion (and problems) at bay.

Also, you might only turn the transformer for the lights on in the evening, while the transformer for the points would always be on when running.

Greg

Boomerps2

Registered
4 Mar 2019
Spokane, WA
Best answers
Note: the LEDs need DC, not AC... since you have so many, keeping the power supplies for the LEDs and the points motors separate might keep confusion (and problems) at bay.

Also, you might only turn the transformer for the lights on in the evening, while the transformer for the points would always be on when running.

Greg
So hook the LED's to the connectors on the transformer that goes to the track?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Right, of course you need to measure the actual voltage, and it will probably take full voltage for the wiring I described... do NOT hook a single LED across the transformer output, or you will magically transform the LED to a DED...

Greg

Boomerps2

Registered
4 Mar 2019
Spokane, WA
Best answers
Right, of course you need to measure the actual voltage, and it will probably take full voltage for the wiring I described... do NOT hook a single LED across the transformer output, or you will magically transform the LED to a DED...

Greg
Is that because it's too much current for one single LED?