QSI problems with LGB MTS III

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
After some embarrassing lack of function with my new C19/QSI Quntum combo at the local Essex meet. I managed to untangle why the MTSII (with LGB handset and Massoth Navigator) was having problems as it was set to serial, not parallel. So the MTS III and the loco then was fine and Dandy when the MTS III was changed to parallel..
BUT..
Although the loco was demonstrating very fine low speed control when run from the laptop with either the QSI Programmer or 'Sprog' with Decoder Pro3, it would only jump to a trot when then controlled by the 55016/MTS III or Navigator/MTS III systems.
Speed steps were set to 28 on the decoder and on the Navigator. Even at setting '1' speed on both controllers the speed would jump to a brisk pace. control after that is fine. It is just the initial start that is so 'crude'.
As I say it is fine with the laptop control systems. you set the speed to '1' and after a nice pause while the sounds of steam etc it gradually moves the wheels very slowly then to '2' a little faster etc. Very realistic starts can be achieved. The MTS ssytem configurations seem to miss all the slow start and jump to the equivalent of speed '4' on the laptop control configurations even though the MTS or Navigator handset is only at '1'
The decoder was reset to factory default settings and the same behaviour was displayed.Also another QSI decoder was tried with the same effect.
Am I missing something...can the MTS III only do 14 speed steps even if the Navigator handset is set to 28?
Or is there a compatibility problem between the QSI decoder (with all of its possible extensive CV c ontrol of how the motion can be configured) and MTS III?
The MTS III unit is fine with a Climax fitted with a Tsunami DCC board or a factory fitted DCC LGB loco.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
How much voltage does the SPROG or QSI programmer put out?

Is the problem possibly that both MTS and Massoth put out far more voltage?

I think you can adjust the voltage on the Massoth, can you experiment and see if doing so makes any difference?

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Von Kliff :D
The Navigator is being used attached to the MTSIII unit so voltage is what that unit pumps out 22v probably. I think that the Sprog or QSI programmer put out a similar voltage but at lower amperage.
The loco will also not come to a perfect halt when using the MTS system..it very very slowly still creeps forward even when another loco address is selected on the controller. It is as if the QSI decoder has not been told to 'stand still'. This does not happen with the laptop controllers.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
OK another idea, remembering I'm no QSI expert.

Does the QSI have an option to turn off the possibility of analogue operation? If so does switching it to digital only (as an experiment) make any difference?

Von Kliff

P.S I presume that you have to have an external power supply to power the QSI programmer and Sprog, you are using one that puts out an approproate voltage?

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Cliff George said:
OK another idea, remembering I'm no QSI expert.

Does the QSI have an option to turn off the possibility of analogue operation? If so does switching it to digital only (as an experiment) make any difference?

Von Kliff

P.S I presume that you have to have an external power supply to power the QSI programmer and Sprog, you are using one that puts out an approproate voltage?

Ah Von Kliff, it is affirmative for ze option to turn off DC operation...I vill try that. Although I do wish to have the option to run ze trains on DC or DCC. It will show if there is ze problem.

As to power supply. Ze QSI programmer and the Sprog have suitable power supplies and both can run as 'command station' mode

Your input is always welcome Herr Von Kliff
57e001df414c46a3b50b3877ae916842.jpg

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I had the same thought as Cliff: The SPROG and the QSI programer don't put out anything near 22V, at a guess I think more like 15V. Remember they're intended for use with any scale, not just G. I'll go and put my RRAMP dcc meter across mine in a bit (I've never actually done that before!)

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
I had the same thought as Cliff: The SPROG and the QSI programer don't put out anything near 22V, at a guess I think more like 15V. Remember they're intended for use with any scale, not just G. I'll go and put my RRAMP dcc meter across mine in a bit (I've never actually done that before!)
Hi Nick
In my ignorance of the finer points of DCC.....Even if the Sprog and QSI programmer were at let's say 12 to 15V, why would this affect how the loco speed ramps up. If anything they would not be able to achieve higher speeds. Does track voltage affect how a decoder operates slow speed running? Even if The MTS III is pumping out 20v and the programmers only 15v the decoder should demonstrate exactly the same functionality, it is just the load that might be too much for the small voltage....Of course this is an ignoramous talking here! :wave:

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Well, my understanding is that the speed you get for a given speed step is simply a proportion of the total voltage available. (Not strictly accurate because we're using a "pulsed" constant voltage and varying the mark/space ratio, but it will do).
Therefore if you give the decoder only 15V instead of 20V then each speed step will only give you 3/4 of the speed you see at 20V. Hence if you set up the decoder with the programmer so that speed step 1 gives you a nice slow starting speed, when you then give the decoder 20V to play with you get a faster speed for the same speed step.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Here's my QSI programmer under no load, showing 15V as I guessed
d0ce658f22ac4333a38d089a5e32d9bc.jpg

... and under load (full speed with my old Aristo U25B) it drops to less than 11V . (Ignore the amps, I don't think this is accurate here)
a634111c8b7447f2bdada687e4b46f87.jpg