DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone have any experience of using Q-Board as a baseboard outside, my initial line is going to be bracketed off the fence and I was thinking of using 300mm ish wide strips for a double track line, in some ways I am fortunate that the ground rises at one end where I'll have a raised ground level loop.

All advice gratefully received, thanks.

David

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting stuff! Never seen it before, but it may be a UK/EU only product. We often seem to lag behind in product innovation in the US. I have no experience with this material, but would also be interested if anyone else has used it. Does it have fiberglass or something embedded in the coating to provide flex resistance?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Well, this is once case where the US is way ahead of the UK. Schluter systems Kerdi board came out around 1987.

Q Board appeared maybe about 2016.. I cannot find earlier references.

The Schluter product is great.

Greg

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I stand corrected. My comment was overly broad. I was mainly thinking of a few examples of other specific products. At any rate, if Q-board can function in a load carrying capacity as in the Kerdi board shower bench illustration on their website it might do exactly what David is hoping for. The Schulter website does state that it is not for exterior use, but perhaps some type of waterproofing could mitigate that shortcoming. It is for use in showers, after all. But to David's original question. Has anyone tried this or something similar?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
The Schulter website does state that it is not for exterior use, but perhaps some type of waterproofing could mitigate that shortcoming. It is for use in showers, after all. But to David's original question. Has anyone tried this or something similar?
It's probably not frost proof

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone have any experience of using Q-Board as a baseboard outside, my initial line is going to be bracketed off the fence and I was thinking of using 300mm ish wide strips for a double track line, in some ways I am fortunate that the ground rises at one end where I'll have a raised ground level loop.

All advice gratefully received, thanks.

David
Wicks do a Backer Board that is waterproof for putting Tiles on to create a waterproof wall. Not sure if it is the same product (but it looks and sounds similar) but in around 2010 we put something similar from Wicks that was to be used as a backdrop for mountains with some flat for sky. It was outside for some 3 years with no issues with frost.

However a couple of small points, these boards tend to be a concrete based product with possibly some fibreglass on the surface that does not have much lengthways strength and thus needs to be well supported. Hanging brackets from fence panels is not to be recommended, many do it but not good practice. I doubt that the 6ft gap between the posts would be enough to support this stuff anyway.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
However a couple of small points, these boards tend to be a concrete based product with possibly some fibreglass on the surface that does not have much lengthways strength and thus needs to be well supported. Hanging brackets from fence panels is not to be recommended, many do it but not good practice. I doubt that the 6ft gap between the posts would be enough to support this stuff anyway.
Hanging items can only be done on your fence, not you neighbours. Your current neighbour may be content, however the next occupant may not be so accommodating, and as it is their it is illegal, ask me how i know :) :)

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Hanging basket brackets are to keep someone else happy, the ones chosen have a wee birdie inside the triangle.

Spacing of the brackets will be no more than 300mm, my thoughts were to get some small channel to run underneath the boards to give a bit more support.

Dunnae wurry the fence is ours, our garden is higher than the neighbour's and for some reason their fence is lower and fixed to the retaining wall while ours for some reason is set about 150mm back from the wall, I'm guessing for the post footings.

The fence has been given a good shuggle to check its condition, as with our previous abode I'll drill down in to the post to feed wood preserver.

Sounds like the Q-Board could be the material I'll adopt unless someone warns me otherwise, thanks to all as usual for the advice.

David

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
on the Q Board, as I understand it, the surfaces are waterproof, the joints between would need the appropriate waterproof sealer. it's designed to be laid side by side and just a small seam is "exposed"

I think the issue is the sides, that thickness is not designed to be exposed or not sealed. I believe it is a bit porous. So this is where I would take extra care. Also the orange/pink center is definitely not UV resistant.

Personally, I would go with a traditional hardi-backer, which is cement based, and normally, as was asked, has fiberglas mat embedded. I have used the higher end, waterproof stuff as an untreated, unsealed base for my switchyard, it's about 10 years old, looks new, and I clean the switchyard with a hose or pressure washer.

Greg

The picture below is before I used plastic wood to space it from the ground, but this picture shows the product off better. It looks the same 10 years later.
switchyard.jpg

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I used fibre-cement panel for my baseboard (Hardie-backer, Hardie Plank) and hung my supports off my fence posts.

No experience with Q-board but looking at the product site it looks similar to the fibre-cement and should work OK I used paving paint to seal the top of my plank.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Q-board is only a trade name, a bit like talking about hoovering, and we are talking vacuum cleaners. So most cement based backer boards could work similarly, though I would still be inclined to both support and seal the boards.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Q-board is only a trade name, a bit like talking about hoovering, and we are talking vacuum cleaners. So most cement based backer boards could work similarly, though I would still be inclined to both support and seal the boards.
With what exactly I'm not sure, but for lateral strength I am planning to put the edges in a metal U channel with a sealant of some form and if I think its required I may run a lateral support along the centre line either underneath or on top of the board, bracket spacing will be no greater than 400mm which I think should provide sufficient support along the length of the board.

I will say that I got a bit of a shock when I weighed a tram at the weekend, complete with batteries etc it cam in at just under 1.2kg which is something I need to keep in mind considering what future trams I plan to build.

David

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The QBoard looks like it has a foam filler, so treatment of raw edges needs to be attended to you, I see you have thought of that.

Really not sure of it's strength as as structural material spanning distances without support. Why not email them and tell them what you want to do. I remember the early days of "plastic lumber" where people figured that they could do unsupported spans the same as wood. Well you cannot, for the same dimensions as real wood, you need to support it "twice as often", i.e. the unsupported spans can only be half as long.

Greg

Michael

Registered
26 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I've used Q Board (from B&Q, pink middle) but not in the way you intend to use it.

It was used 3 years ago to provide a long solid flat base between two platforms over which runs a double track. The original intention was for the track to be fixed to it but for various reasons it didn't work out like that. The board is now covered with a thin layer of 'ballast' (alphine grit) on which the track lies.

I've have had no problems at all, no movement, no warping (like Filcris does) and in particular no weeds.

I also buried some to see how it would weather. Just dug it up and after 3 years in an English garden, there's no deterioration of the 'rigid' foam edge.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I've used Q Board (from B&Q, pink middle) but not in the way you intend to use it.
I've have had no problems at all, no movement, no warping (like Filcris does) and in particular no weeds.

As far as I am aware the Filcris product does not warp per se. Yes, there are issues that can be caused as the material can expand as it heats in full sun. But the warping issues I have seen reported are due to actual structures being built of multiple Filcris components that did not take account of this factor. My local 16 mm NGM group has one of two members who's lines make extensive, and subsequent repeat use of, this material in their lines construction and I have heard no comments as to its unsuitability or disatisfaction in this application. Indeed, there is a section on the Filcris website, in the second link supplied, devoted to the use of the material for this purpose with plenty of guidance. Perhaps they could offer advise in this particular construction.

I only offer the suggestion as it appears that Q Board, in this application, may be being used to the limit or even out of spec', as are a lot of materials we employ in this hobby are. If you feel my suggestion has no merit then so it be. Max

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
As far as I am aware the Filcris product does not warp per se. Yes, there are issues that can be caused as the material can expand as it heats in full sun. But the warping issues I have seen reported are due to actual structures being built of multiple Filcris components that did not take account of this factor. My local 16 mm NGM group has one of two members who's lines make extensive, and subsequent repeat use of, this material in their lines construction and I have heard no comments as to its unsuitability or disatisfaction in this application. Indeed, there is a section on the Filcris website, in the second link supplied, devoted to the use of the material for this purpose with plenty of guidance. Perhaps they could offer advise in this particular construction.

I only offer the suggestion as it appears that Q Board, in this application, may be being used to the limit or even out of spec', as are a lot of materials we employ in this hobby are. If you feel my suggestion has no merit then so it be. Max
Max,

All replies are informative to one extent or another, I am starting from scratch in a scale I hadn't previously given much thought to, all information is just that its information, and so far, apart from the comics amongst us, everything I've read has been helpful.
I am not a conformist, I know what I want I just don't know exactly how I am going to achieve what I want, getting peoples feedback and experiences is invaluable.

I have a bit more reading to do before I decide what material I'll be going forward with, my wife has come home today with some sample brackets so I need to pull my finger out I suppose.

David