Prototypical loads for gondolas...?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the full size railways section, but here won....

Prototypically speaking, what kinds of loads would typically be carried in large high-sided gondolas like the LGB 4062 bogie one? Would they be used for loose loads like sand, coal, gravel and stuff, or for things like chopped wood, scrap metal and the like? Just looking for some ideas of what to put in a couple of them that won't look too out of place!

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Coal is good:

3e61e383e9de4fee8410a3a9065735e4.jpg

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Similar wagons are used here for scrap metal and coal to take from the port.

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
The Austrians hauled a lot of lumber products in the long gons that the Lehmann 4062 is based upon.

Coal would be another option, but remember with stone or gravel that the loading level would be VERY low due to weight.

An interesting load I have seen in several photos from Poland and Northern East Germany would be sugar beets. The PKP and DR "30 inch" lines hauled these in many types of open wagens.

Search on google.de for Zuckerfabrik:

http://www.interlok.info/BialosliwieBahn.htm

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the full size railways section, but here won....

Prototypically speaking, what kinds of loads would typically be carried in large high-sided gondolas like the LGB 4062 bogie one? Would they be used for loose loads like sand, coal, gravel and stuff, or for things like chopped wood, scrap metal and the like? Just looking for some ideas of what to put in a couple of them that won't look too out of place!

Any of these ought to be OK. But also do not forget Wooden Crates - easily made from coffee stirers. A few of different sizes work well. I have also seen these in the Harz hauling metal ingots, possibly aluminum. A few old Tyre Weights painted silver would cut the mustard on this. Not tooo many as they would be quite heavy and secured with rope. I would be tempted to put them on a false floor so that you could load one way and empty the other. Also cut logs for pit props.
JonD

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
I have a feeling that in France they carry maize (for cattle food?) in open gondolas. I've got an article cut from a US model railroad magazine a while ago listing typical gondola loads from the 1950s which included roof trusses, metal roofing sheets, as well as the more obvious coal and stone.

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure about American stock, but here in the uk, DB SCHENKER use some of alot of their ''gondolas'' for what ever they can carry. At least this is how i see it from the signalbox window at Sheffield. In the same type of gondola, i have seen Scrap to Attercliff Sidings, Lime Stone to Drax power station, Ballast for track renewals and also sand. Sorry if a bit off topic, but i think, what goes in a wagon will, in most cases.....

paul

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
The original post refers to a mainland European gondola.  However, I am of the impression that which ever country or railway is considered a gondola/open wagon could be classed as an 'all-purpose' car carrying a whole plethora of loads.  Loads which were to be kept free from rain - or other atmospheric conditions -  were placed in covered gondolas or sheeted wagons.  A covered/sheeted car suggests that it has a load: a little subterfuge. ;)

I think the most important thing, where models are concerned, is to keep the load as  lightweight as possible.  Using charcoal rather than coal for instance.