Programming loco top speed? LGB MTS II

Derailed

Registered
12 Nov 2019
Lansing, KS
Best answers
Country flag
Hello,

I have two LGB Moguls and the older generation one is about twice as fast as the newer. Can I program a lower top speed?
The user manual doesn't say. If so, how do I go about doing it?
I am running LGB MTS II serial using the 55015 remote. The old Mogul has been converted with a 55021 chip.
Thank you in advance.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
CV5 should do the trick... did you download the manual?

You will have to experiment with the values, default is 255, meaning no limit, try half that for the CV5 value.

I am not an expert in using the MTSII for programming, if you need step by step CV programming instructions.

Greg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
CV5 should do the trick... did you download the manual?

You will have to experiment with the values, default is 255, meaning no limit, try half that for the CV5 value.

I am not an expert in using the MTSII for programming, if you need step by step CV programming instructions.

Greg
The instructions regarding programming individual CV’s start on P34. I would suggest first reading the value of CV 5 on the slower Mogul then change the fast one to match it. Default full speed is in the range of 255 or thereabouts. I suspect the slower one may be around half this. The link below is useful for downloading LGB manuals as .pdf’s.

Reactions: 1 user

Derailed

Registered
12 Nov 2019
Lansing, KS
Best answers
Country flag
I have the manual. But thank you for the links to others.
IMO, I hate LGB manuals. They are always lacking essential information.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
To be honest LGB manuals are tricky due to at best limited translation possibilities from German to English. The languages as perhaps do many others suffer from being well different.

I doubt that it is realistic to expect a manual to say ‘want slower speed?’ So we need to look. I used a 55015 (often called a Loco Remote) to change my friends LGB Meyer sound from 2 chuffs to 4 chuffs to the revolution. Was a real pain but I persevered and got the job done. You have all the tools at your disposal to do what you need, just a bit of patience and time you can achieve it.

Derailed

Registered
12 Nov 2019
Lansing, KS
Best answers
Country flag
I am sorry, but I absolutely do expect a user manual to provide information on the device's capabilities and how to access those capabilities. I shouldn't have to guess my way through anything.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I am sorry, but I absolutely do expect a user manual to provide information on the device's capabilities and how to access those capabilities. I shouldn't have to guess my way through anything.
Massoth, Zimo and ESU manuals are all pretty comprehensive, but sadly you do not have their chips in your loco. LGB manuals I am afraid are what they are.

Last edited:

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I am sorry, but I absolutely do expect a user manual to provide information on the device's capabilities and how to access those capabilities.
Perhaps you might want to consider another hobby as I don't think any model train manual from any manufacturer will meet those expectations. ;);););) On the other hand, DCC/mfx and each manufacturer's devices have learning curves as I've discovered. Research, experiment, learn and enjoy. Unless you hook 110V to the tracks, anything you do is not likely to be irreparable. All decoders have a 'factory reset".

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, you can have expectations, but the reality of DCC is pretty much that other than "shortcuts" or special menus in the throttles, or an additional software package, you pretty much need to understand the basic CV's. One issue is that they change from decoder to decoder, i.e. very few are standard.

That not withstanding, (meaning if you refuse to get these "add ons") you should at least understand the standard CV's, address, start speed, top speed, momentum, and CV29.

It does not sound like this is what you want to hear, but honestly, you are running an old, obsolete system. It was OK (not great) when it came out what 10 years ago?

If you bought a current system, it would probably meet your expectations better. There's a reason they don't make Yugo's any more. :)

Greg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
...........It does not sound like this is what you want to hear, but honestly, you are running an old, obsolete system. It was OK (not great) when it came out what 10 years ago?...........

Greg

More like about 17 years, Greg, for MTSII! I bought my MTSII starter set in 2003.....

One should bear in mind that LGB never really seemed to like the idea of users adjusting very much at all within the system - I think they expected most people to just use the loco with its factory settings, and considered altering anything more complicated than the loco address to be the kind of thing that should be done by one of their "approved service agents".... with that in mind, I guess we should be grateful that their manuals have any CV info in them at all! ;)

Jon.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
We appear to have another new user to DCC on the forum who is approaching things in a different way to you. I think that for both of you one of those reasonably priced starters bookzines on DCC may be a great help, though not specific on any system they do give much of the basics which is difficult to give over the full spectrum in this type of forum. Yes basic help and perhaps of some of the specific elements that are particularly tricky such as say for example cv29, a cv that you generally do not want to be messing with too much Without some clearer guidance!

I was beginning to worry that I was being a bit harsh to you. But others have said it as it is rather than me for which I am grateful.