Programming Funktionmapping on MFX dekoder in factory installed LGB loco without a CS3 central station

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag
One thing I really wish Märklin would do is provide a table of the default settings for the "Activators", "Stipulations", and "Outputs" for each loco with the new decoders. This might help us Luddites decipher what is going on in the function mapping.
Agreed. , Have not found german documents of this, despite searching all the several german forums etc., youtube.

So it would be best if someone would write software with all the functionalities like the ESU decoders, Kupplungswalzer, funktionmapping etc. which produces a list of CVs with every change. That person must then be completely independent of a decoder manufactorer. Only then will everyone be able to buy another (read cheaper) central station and/or handheld (Marklin doesn't have that at the moment. Massoth was developing one for Marklin (based on the Navigator) but they stopped doing that) for use in the garden.
Seeems that JMRI fulfils this for about 95%, enough for me. Have a Sprog on order so have to test this.

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
I asked Marklin support this question specifically a few months ago when I got the new 21671 track cleaner and wanted to make some adjustments to the function mapping. Their answer is what I translated from German on how to function map the MSD3 decoder in DCC:

Our decoder can have and save up to 80 function assignments. In order to change a function assignment, the current function mapping must first be read out and possibly be noted. In this way you can find out in which of the up to 80 mapping lines which function assignment is entered. If you have found the right one, changes can be made accordingly, e.g. two function keys can be swapped. For this action you of course need the CV list from our homepage.

With CVs 33 .. 37 the CVs can be read, changed and written. Which values can be written into the CVs can be found in the CV list.

CV 33 - read out a function assignment from 0 .. 79

CV 34 - read and write function trigger of the assignment read with CV 33

CV 35 - read and write function condition of the assignment read with CV 33

CV 36 - Read and write the function event of the assignment read with CV 33

CV 37 - Usually write back the function assignment from 0 .. 79 read with CV 33

In the delivery state of the L21671, the function assignments F4 and F11 mentioned here are in the following entries:

.. F4: Entry 45 ie CV33 | 37 = 45 read | write / CV34 = 4 (F key 4) / CV35 = 0 (normal standard) / CV36 = 87 (sound 4)

.. F11: Entry 12 ie CV33 | 37 = 12 read | write / CV34 = 11 (F button 11) / CV35 = 24 (for forward and driving) / CV36 = 87 (output 6)

Assuming the delivery status ..

.. read out the assignment 45 with CV 33 = 45

.. with CV 34 = 11 to swap the F key 4 for the F key 11

.. with CV 37 = 45 the Z Write order 45 back

.. with CV 33 = 12 read out the assignment 12

.. with CV 34 = 4 swap the F key 11 for the F key 4

.. with CV 37 = 12 write back the assignment 12

And that's it both functions F4 and F11 swapped.

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Have been away from the Gscale scene since 2014 with a short revival around christmas 2018. Hence i never noticed this thread:
Marklin/LGB decoders and JMRI

Last edited:

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I'm going to email the Märklin Digital Support guys, Curtis and Rick, here in the U.S. I'll be asking if they can explain using the logical outputs (the "and", "or", and "Xor" outputs) for complex function mapping. I'll report back here.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
My Massoth PC module can read the CV's but some have a wrong value, if rereading they show up a different value. ex: the speed steps table showed some very odd numbers!! hence i noticed.
I've seen this too, if my memory serves, 192 often came back on an initial CV read. A second read returned the actual value in the CV. I noticed this one time when attempting to read CV29 on my LGB 22040.

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
I'm going to email the Märklin Digital Support guys, Curtis and Rick, here in the U.S. I'll be asking if they can explain using the logical outputs (the "and", "or", and "Xor" outputs) for complex function mapping. I'll report back here.
Phil, I'll save you some time as I already asked them about this. They did not really know how to do it without a CS3.

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
In the delivery state of the L21671, the function assignments F4 and F11 mentioned here are in the following entries:

.. F4: Entry 45 ie CV33 | 37 = 45 read | write / CV34 = 4 (F key 4) / CV35 = 0 (normal standard) / CV36 = 87 (sound 4)

.. F11: Entry 12 ie CV33 | 37 = 12 read | write / CV34 = 11 (F button 11) / CV35 = 24 (for forward and driving) / CV36 = 87 (output 6)
I think CV36 needs to be 180 which is sound 4.
Ive download the project from the Marklin server for the L21671, opened it in the mDecoderTool3 and MLGB seems to have changed this now, indeed F4 is now AUX6 cleaning motor ON/OFF and F11 releases sound 4.

Last edited:

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
I asked Marklin support this question specifically a few months ago when I got the new 21671 track cleaner and wanted to make some adjustments to the function mapping. Their answer is what I translated from German on how to function map the MSD3 decoder in DCC:

Our decoder can have and save up to 80 function assignments. In order to change a function assignment, the current function mapping must first be read out and possibly be noted. In this way you can find out in which of the up to 80 mapping lines which function assignment is entered. If you have found the right one, changes can be made accordingly, e.g. two function keys can be swapped. For this action you of course need the CV list from our homepage.

With CVs 33 .. 37 the CVs can be read, changed and written. Which values can be written into the CVs can be found in the CV list.

CV 33 - read out a function assignment from 0 .. 79

CV 34 - read and write function trigger of the assignment read with CV 33

CV 35 - read and write function condition of the assignment read with CV 33

CV 36 - Read and write the function event of the assignment read with CV 33

CV 37 - Usually write back the function assignment from 0 .. 79 read with CV 33

Assuming the delivery status ..

.. read out the assignment 45 with CV 33 = 45

.. with CV 34 = 11 to swap the F key 4 for the F key 11

.. with CV 37 = 45 the Z Write order 45 back

.. with CV 33 = 12 read out the assignment 12

.. with CV 34 = 4 swap the F key 11 for the F key 4

.. with CV 37 = 12 write back the assignment 12

And that's it both functions F4 and F11 swapped.

Now that I have gone and got a CS3+ I can report back that function mapping MSD3 LGB/Marklin decoders is best done with the CS3 or Mobile Station. I was able to make the desired changes I mentioned above in about 4 clicks. I assigned the cleaner motor output AUX6 to the same F Key as the hazard lights that are AUX 4 and 5. I then also remapped the front/rear and cab lights so they all come on together with F0. Whats even better is that I then tested these function mapping changes in the decoder on my Massoth DCC system, and they executed exactly as I changed them. So updating in MFX does in fact effect the changes to DCC.

So the moral of the story here is trying to update function mappings and actions on MSD3 decoders is best done on a CS3. Its far too complex to do it with DCC CVs.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Alternatively, the moral could be manufacturers are making models that are far more complex than necessary. My venerable track cleaner has an LGB factory fitted decoder and just needs a speed control and 2 buttons to operate - one for the lights, one for the cleaning motor which also activates the orange warning lights. Simples!

Reactions: 1 user

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Alternatively, the moral could be manufacturers are making models that are far more complex than necessary. My venerable track cleaner has an LGB factory fitted decoder and just needs a speed control and 2 buttons to operate - one for the lights, one for the cleaning motor which also activates the orange warning lights. Simples!
That depends on perspective. I have an older 21670 cleaner that just has function for lights and the cleaner wheels. Its fine. The 21671 has a full slate of sounds, independent lights, and a cleaning function. It follows the same approach all the other MSD3 decoders it how its laid out. I like it better because it adds more realism to a mundane task like track cleaning, which means I'm more apt to use it. To each their own. I wanted to change a few things in how the functions are laid out more to my liking and now have been able to do that.

None of that need to be done, but I had the option to, which I appreciate. I upgraded all the lights in the 21670 to LEDs. The 21671 already had LEDs....complexity is in the eye of the beholder.