Programming and control using a MAC rather than PC

ExeterGeek

Registered
30 May 2011
Exeter
patiorails.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Looking to further my embrace of the dark arts then I need some sort of computer graphical display and machine. Given that I'm using a Mac, Massoth and Dietz decoders, and LGB MTs 3 then I'm thinking that a SPROG with the JMRI software is the way forward ?

Is there anything else that works with a Mac ?

Is there anything that would do locomotive control based around the MAC ?
Will this run some locos automatically whilst letting others be driven ?
Can the loco driving software also do things like sound horns and whistles ?

Chris

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
ExeterGeek said:
Looking to further my embrace of the dark arts then I need some sort of computer graphical display and machine. Given that I'm using a Mac, Massoth and Dietz decoders, and LGB MTs 3 then I'm thinking that a SPROG with the JMRI software is the way forward ?

Chris

Chris - Haven't a clue about the Mac (last time I tried to use one I nearly threw it through a window), but the iPhone has DCC control Apps. See, for example: http://raicho.home.xs4all.nl/model/control/iphone/iphone.html

ExeterGeek

Registered
30 May 2011
Exeter
patiorails.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have to say that switching to the MAC wasn't easy.
This book came heavily recommended
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/978...est on things like the DCC driving. Chris

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
ExeterGeek said:

For programming decoders JMRI DecoderPro is a good choice. I understand it works well with the SPROG and is even packaged with it.

ExeterGeek said:

iTrain: http://berros.eu/itrain/en/index.php
Rocrail: http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php

I don't think that any of the three iTrain, Rocrail or JMRI work with an MTS command station. You may need to consider upgrading to say a Massoth command station.

The only software I am aware of that works with MTS is the original MTS software supplied by LGB and its sucessor supplied by Stellwerk http://www.stellwerk-software.de/ . Stellwerk doesn't work on a MAC.

A few years ago when I evaluated what software to use my conclusion at that time was that RR&Co http://www.freiwald.com/pages/index.html was by far the best available. It doesn't work nativley on a MAC but a forum associated with it has reported success by using a PC emulator (but I don't think I'd do that). Strangely it is the most Apple like software available, even though it runs on a PC, it all is reasonably intuitive and it doesn't require understanding some train control programming language like the others do.

When I first started I used my old knackered PC as a standalone control unit, maybe this is something you could consider if you have your old PC available.

ExeterGeek said:

I know that RR&Co does although it is not a facility I use much at all. I couldn't say for the others

ExeterGeek said:
I imagine they all do, it would be pretty poor software that couldn't do this.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
ExeterGeek said:
I don't have an iphone or ipad (yet) but I watch the developments with interest on things like the DCC driving.

Nor do I have an iPhone or iPad, I do have a iPod and Android based pad and phone that I can use for controlling my garden railway.

I can get the track plan displayed and can change points with the touch of a finger, trains speed up and slow down at the slide of a finger, functions can be activated with a tap on an appropriate icon.
Having said all of that it isn't a facility I use much. I find that having Wi-Fi on all of the time, screen set to maximum brightness and never going blank eats up the battery. In a sunny day out in the garden it is not easy to see what is on the screen (a high contract screen like some ereaders have would make it better). Although I glad I tried it I wouldn't recommend it to others.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Similar to Cliff's comment regarding use of a laptop or similar in the garden: I am able to run my layout (switch points, drive locos etc.) using JMRI PanelPro on a small netbook over Wi-Fi, but to be honest the battery doesn't last long and it's fiddly. I've not bothered with that method of control for a while but it was interesting to prove it's possible.

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Chris,
I can vouch for the JMRI/SPROG combination, but not how it runs on a MAC. To be fair, there's nothing stopping you downloading the JMRI software to have a play. I only have a small layout and run either an NCC rig or the JMRI/SPROG combo through a booster. I'm sure that Cliff & Nick would agree that computer control of trains is almost a hobby in its own right. My experience was to get stable & predictable running on the handset before introducing any automation.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Childsplay (literally!)
Wireless control using JMRI. This was taken 3 years ago, I can tell by the lack of sidings next to the deck and conservatory.

6b5319b990454bf0933b19a251236ccc.jpg

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
I changed my custom title just for you Roland! (for today only)

55.5 said:
In retrospect perhaps we would all do better if we just had virtual layouts on our PC's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny you should say that I was only just yesterday using the computer to work out and simulate a new small display layout I've promised to provide in November! It's much easier to iron out as many issues as possible before connecting any track. I'll go and hide now.

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
55.5 said:
Sorry about the rant!!!
Had a bad day yesterday, having all sorts of complications with automatic running and cant get outside to try alternative settings due to the weather.
In retrospect perhaps we would all do better if we just had virtual layouts on our PC's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rail 3D bud. I've had hours of fun with it.

http://www.rail3d.info/

Railfan

Registered
17 Nov 2009
Northern California, USA
Best answers
Country flag
55.5 said:
Oh, and have any of you super intellectuals yet to control the weather????
Now that would really get me on your side!!!!!!!!

Depending on what you mean by controlling the weather, I could probably help! If it's no rain you want, I have the solution!

Move here to Northern California (between San Francisco and San Jose). We've had NO RAIN since the beginning of JUNE! Zero, nada, zip!

Of course, when winter finally comes, we get our 'wet season'. But even then our average rainfall is about 14.5 " per year.

And I bet our Aussie mates get even less...rain that is. :D

Railfan

Registered
17 Nov 2009
Northern California, USA
Best answers
Country flag
55.5 said:
Beam me up Scotty!!!!!!
Woke up this morning to wind and rain and a cheerful voice on the radio saying we have it for the week!

Send it here! :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have been into Macs for years, well since 2000.

But can we please get back on track because I currently keep an old Desktop PC to use for Programming my LGB Chips with an LGB base Station. I would dearly love to junk the PC ( well it is running Windows 98 by that nice Mr Gates). I would then like to buy a Sprog to use with my Mac. I have seen a thread some time ago about using a Sprog with a Mac but the whereabouts of this is lost to me now. Also I read it and it was not what I would call idiot friendly.

I have two questions well three actually:-

1 Where can I get a G Scale Compatible Sprog in the UK?
2 How much are they I expect a link to Q1 will answer this?
3 Can anyone give a simple idiots guide to setting it up on the Mac (or better still guide me to one?

Many thanks all,
JonD

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
1) here:
http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/ 2) £4...iligently and it should work fine! Jon.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
The SPROG is a great little piece of kit and its simple interface really helped me to begin to get to grips with programming CVs.
I just wish that the whole CV and DCC thing was as graphically presented. There those who like 'tinkering' with programming language (like CVs etc) and revel in its complexity but for me (I love what computers enable us to do and all the digital paraphenalia that comes with them), it is important that it is presented in an intuitive manner.

One of the hats that I wore was as an ICT consultant in education. For the folk (beginner to expert) who I dealt with, to feel at home during training and then go on to actually use computers/av/applications etc to their fullest potential, everything on paper or in actual applications had to be presented in an easy to follow intuitive form. This meant a good intuitive graphical manner was the best way forward.CVs are not intuitive to most folk, and I include myself in this.
The fact that you have to enter different levels for different values or vica versa, etc etc. means that you have to know exactly what you are doing or you soon end up cocking things up.
If you have the mindset and the time then of course CVs are not the hardest things on earth, but I like to understand things as quick as I can so I can get on with using them.

Most manuals (I include most manufacturers of DCC here as well) are not presented in this way and that also goes for the interfaces as well. Massoth's Navigator screen is easy to use once the functioning is understood and The SPROG is a good step forward to taking out the 'dark art' from CV's DCC and making it more accessible.

It will obviously come soon when the handset (eg. Navigator or other brand's equivalent) will allow complete direct change of CVs but using entries on the graphical interface. For instance...changing volume on the fly, consisting (with locos facing any way), all loco driving attributes, etc etc. Some have made steps in this direction already.....

I have finished my little rant and will now go back to the shed lock me-self in and wait for comments from those who like things the way they are.......;):D

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Your absolutely correct Mike. Most DCC manuals seem to be written from the programmer's viewpoint, rather than the user's. I suspect more thought needs to be given to "How to" advice. For example, programming CV29 is complicated, so Massoth have thoughtfully given examples in the latest DCC chip configuration manuals of what settings to use for specific objectives (e.g. 28 speed steps; digital only). On the other hand, Massoth's manual for the Navigator is not very friendly at all. I learned more talking to another user in 30 minutes than in a day of trying to follow the manual!

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
CV29 is a prime example of something that can be made simpler with a better user interface. No one should have to add up numbers to come up with a final value to store in the CV. (As a programmer I'm comfortable with bits and bytes and binary but freely admit it ain't friendly). You'd think any DCC system would be able to simplify this sort of thing. My NCE system has a simplified mode for programming the basic stuff like this, although I rarely program decoders this way.

JMRI DecoderPro (with a SPROG or connected to your DCC command station if supported) goes a long way toward hiding the complexities of things like CV29, allowing you to choose speed steps, direction, analogue on/off etc. with simple clicks. No doubt most other software decoder programmers do something similar. Similarly, other CV with continuous values can be set with sliders, and CVs with choices of options have tick boxes.

For me though, the biggest benefit of using DecoderPro is being able to save all the decoder settings under the loco's name in case I ever have to reload a replacement decoder.

ExeterGeek

Registered
30 May 2011
Exeter
patiorails.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
I have been into Macs for years, well since 2000.
But can we please get back on track because I currently keep an old Desktop PC to use for Programming my LGB Chips with an LGB base Station. I would dearly love to junk the PC ( well it is running Windows 98 by that nice Mr Gates). I would then like to buy a Sprog to use with my Mac. I have seen a thread some time ago about using a Sprog with a Mac but the whereabouts of this is lost to me now. Also I read it and it was not what I would call idiot friendly.
I have two questions well three actually:-
1 Where can I get a G Scale Compatible Sprog in the UK?
2 How much are they I expect a link to Q1 will answer this?
3 Can anyone give a simple idiots guide to setting it up on the Mac (or better still guide me to one?
Many thanks all,
JonD
I think the winter months are going to be spent with a Sprog II and the MAC. I'll update progress on my blog and alert people here . I'm also thinking of a page on my blog along the lines of "Decoders for dummies" as I cover what snippets I learn and glean from various pages. For example there is a very useful article on CV29 in this months Model Railroader.
Chris

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks all for your helpfull replies. Will be getting one as soon as my House Move is sorted.

Got a bad bit of news yesterday, thought that I would be moving from my Temporary Life out of Suitcases and Boxes in the next couple of weeks or so. Turns out that the people at the top of a chain of 3 had a bad Survey on the House that they were after in Jersey or somewhere. Now they are looking again, think I will be lucky to move this year now so the new Dunnybahn will have to wait till next year. Jings.

JonD