Programming an inexpensive R/C set-up, question

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have one of those inexpensive transmitter/receivers. I am using it for my Matra crane project. I am somewhat confused as to the set-up procedure between the transmitter and the receiver. The transmitter has 8 buttons. The receiver has 8 relay switches. Each of the eight buttons on the transmitter should operate a corresponding relay switch on the receiver. Here is the link to what I purchased. Can anyone make sense of the instructions?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171339322285?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

cbeckett

Osier & Woodhurst (UK), Gosnells Extension (OZ)
17 Nov 2013
Gosnells, Perth, WA
Best answers
Double-Dutch to me! Sorry

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
You need to know what button to press on the tx as to what function it will make the relay do. The instructions online do not give the full info but basically you depress the button on the rx untill the buzzer sounds, then press a relevant key on the tx to tell it what to do. when programmed press the rx button again to store. I had one of those boards and programmed it with the above method but cannot remember which key does what. This may help; http://download.carymart.com/0020204-y.pdf

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Looks very similar to the four channel set-up which I used for my signalling project.

If I read the diagram correctly, the centre terminal beside each relay is the supply input (12v positive?) then the terminals either side are either normally open or normally closed.

To program the receiver you need to power up the rx and then hold down its programming button until you hear a beep. Pressing the relevant button on the tx will then change the setting for that channel. For example, to set the way channel one operates, press the 1 button on the tx once to set it to self-lock (ie press the button on the tx to turn on, then press again to turn off) press it twice to set it to jog (ie press 1 to turn on channel 1, release to turn it off). Press it three times to set channel 1 to interlock (ie press button one to turn on channel 1, press any other key to turn it off). I assume for your crane you need jog - ie the motor will run while you are holding down the button and stop when you release the button. To get the rx to store those settings you then need to hold down the programming button again until it beeps. I think all that is right.

I'm not sure how you are intending to reverse the motors - you'd need to have some DPDT relays wired in somewhere.

Rik

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Since I am electronically challenged.  Or to put it politically less correct, an electronic moron, I have devised a wiring diagram that has worked for me on other similar projects. See below.  The first two are of the same diagram.  The third is also the same diagram, but simplified .
wiring 1.jpgwiring 2.jpgwiring 3.jpg

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Dan
I think that might work. Maybe not the most elegant as you need to have two sets of batteries rather than one, but as far as I can see it does overcome the need for DPDT switches.

Rik

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Rik,

A few years ago, I played with some DPDT relays in my mad scientist workshop, as SWMBO calls it. They worked OK, but were a little delicate. And I kind of lost track of the original ones I was buying and lost interest in pursuing the subject further. The bottom line is I subscribe to the KISS method. I can understand electricity because it flows along nice neat wires. As soon as that mysterious electronic word is introduced, all my understanding goes out the window ???

Oh, it does work. I tested the circuits by jumping the relay switch contacts. Now I need to read the instructions posted by Nicebutdim. Hm, sounds like me.

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Thats actually rather neat Dan. could you do the same thing with two DC supplies I wonder (two separate transformers or sets of windings) ?

I used two latching relays on a similar board to make a dpdt switch, but I couldn't wire the buttons in the handset together - it only fired one relay at a time. I managed to remember 1 2 forward 2 1 reverse, but in the end I snapped and added a relay.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Dtsteam said:
Thats actually rather neat Dan. could you do the same thing with two DC supplies I wonder (two separate transformers or sets of windings) ?

I used two latching relays on a similar board to make a dpdt switch, but I couldn't wire the buttons in the handset together - it only fired one relay at a time. I managed to remember 1 2 forward 2 1 reverse, but in the end I snapped and added a relay.

Dave,
I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by using two separate transformers. If you look at my wiring diagram, you will see that to get the boom for instance, to move one way, the relay closes the circuit when the corresponding button is pressed on the transmitter. To get it to move in the opposite direction another button would be pressed. Each button on the transmitter is supposed to correspond with a different relay switch on the receiver.

Each relay is wired to one set of batteries, in my case. DC power packs could be used in place of the batteries. Because you are only closing one relay switch at a time, there is no danger of a short circuit.

All that said, I'll go into more detail on my findings thus far in the next post.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
nicebutdim said:
You need to know what button to press on the tx as to what function it will make the relay do. The instructions online do not give the full info but basically you depress the button on the rx untill the buzzer sounds, then press a relevant key on the tx to tell it what to do. when programmed press the rx button again to store. I had one of those boards and programmed it with the above method but cannot remember which key does what. This may help; http://download.carymart.com/0020204-y.pdf
nicebutdim said:

OK, I printed out the instructions in the link you posted. Tried to program the thing about an hour ago. I didn't know anything before I read them. Now I am confused and still don't know anything. I see that, on the instruction sheet, that there is supposed to be a power light (LED) and a programing light. I only have one LED light on my board and it's at one edge of the board. When I press the programing button on the receiver, it lights the single LED. It's at that point that you are supposed to press any button on the transmitter to make the connection between the two. I got it to work briefly, but then it wouldn't hold what it learned. I also couldn't get the buttons to work in the "Momentary" mode :mad:

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Did you press the rx button again until the light went out? If I remember correctly you have to do that to make it store the settings. I had a little trial and error with mine before it worked how I wanted it to.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
These things have a mind of their own. Last night, before I went to bed, I figured I have one last look at the situation. I turned the unit on and everything worked!! Go figure. I will post a video on Youtube in a bit.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Finally got to a point where I could take a half baked video. I figured out that one A23 12 volt battery was not robust enough to handle the R/C board. Particularly since I have the transmitter buttons set for momentary operation, which means that as long as I want something to happen, I need to keep the appropriate button pressed until I want to stop that operation. So for the time being I have eight AAA batteries powering the receiver. I ordered an 11.1 volt Li-on battery for a permanent power supply. I also am going to reduce the number of batteries that power the boom rotation from 4 to 3 AAAs.

http://youtu.be/jFNIfV8RZ7w

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
That's really good, Dan. You took on a challenge that I passed with the Matra crane and pulled it off really well. I'm now wondering if my railway requires 2 operational cranes ;)

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
nicebutdim said:
That's really good, Dan. You took on a challenge that I passed with the Matra crane and pulled it off really well. I'm now wondering if my railway requires 2 operational cranes ;)

Go for it. It's fun.