Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
it will be intresting to see how far they can go with this, to be free off the maniufatures constraints

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
This is the free software that many folks here (including me) already use with their SPROG programmers.

Jon.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
I also use JMRI, utilising the inbuilt RS232 interface factory supplied on my NCE central station. Factory programmes are simpler to use, but JMRI solves the problem of having decoders from multiple manufacturers.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, been using it for years with my SPROG programmer and also with my NCE system to drive the trains and control pointwork. It can talk to various brands of DCC system (though sadly not MTS or Massoth).

I wouldn't be without it for decoder programming, it'll handle any NMRA DCC motor decoder. The user interface is perhaps a little "geeky" in parts but greatly simplifies the task of programming and tweaking decoders compared to entering CV numbers and values. The ability to then save off those settings on your pc is really useful, you can go back and reload a replacement decoder with those same settings.

I've only scratched the surface with regard to creating a simple layout mimic diagram and controlling points. It can support complex routing and conditional logic, it also has facilities for train dispatching and all sorts of stuff which to me seem very much oriented toward the US way of operating large layouts so as yet I've not really played with these aspects.

Best thing of all, it's free!

philkelly

France, railcars, DCC
24 Oct 2009
Islington, London & Vienne, France
Best answers
Country flag
SPROG+Jmri is, in my opinion, the easiest way to programme decoders, though I have only used it with LGB/Massoth products. The ability to check and change the value of each CV (obviously you need the leaflet that comes with the decoder that says what each CV does) gives a feeling of being in charge which other software just doesn't.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
philkelly said:
The ability to check and change the value of each CV (obviously you need the leaflet that comes with the decoder that says what each CV does) gives a feeling of being in charge which other software just doesn't.

Just to be clear, one of the great things about JMRI DecoderPro is you DON'T need to study the CVs and understand what they all do. For the vast majority of decoders, someone will have already done the work of sorting out exactly "what does what" and will have created much more user-friendly panels of settings for you to adjust.

Obviously you can also dabble directly with CVs if you wish. I tend to use the raw CV page when first reading and storing the settings of a new decoder, to make sure everything's been captured.

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
mike said:
it will be intresting to see how far they can go with this, to be free off the maniufatures constraints
A surprisingly long way - individuals have developed & contributed the drivers for most of the available chips. The only legal challenge has been from a software publisher, and that has now been redacted. However, it does have some bad habits and it is a little clunky but I've had some good fun with it.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I used my LGB 55045 Interface to change a CV on my MRC Sound Decoder fitted V51 loco.

Provided you know the relevant CV number for what you want to change (for the MRC decoder, I'd lost the sound and needed to reset CV49 to 1) then it's quite simples. For LGB decoders CV49 has a different function (lights I think?).

I believe this is what Nick is refering to, when he mentions the raw CV page....

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
nico said:
I use the QSI quantum programmer...

Yep, got one of those for looking after the specifics of my QSI decoders. Prefer DecoderPro for general decoder programming though.

PB+J

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
I've been using this for years--it's really excellent. I use it with a digitrax PR-3. JMRI will program any decoder; it uses a graphical interface that's easy to understand, and it keeps a file of information on each decoder you program, a "locomotive roster." It does not handle sound functions as thoroughly as the manufacturer's systems, so I also have QSI's programmer, and ESU's programmer, to manage sounds on those programmers. But 90% of the time I use JMRI to program decoders.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
The fact that I use Macs and with a suggestion form Zerogee (Jon) I now use JMRI with the Sprog programmer and it opened my eyes. Although CV usage can be mastered to a greater or lesser extent depending on one's propensity to learning certain sequences and systems, I do find graphical feedback a more intuitive way of programming than CVs provide. But maybe that is because I have been using Macs since the 80's and have never felt the great need to know what is going on under the hood of a computer software and operating systems.

I can remember the arguments of PC guys when the Mac mouse-driven graphical user interface became widely available and PC's were still using DOS.. "Macs are just a toy computers, to know how really use a computer works you need to know DOS". Well the 'C:>' prompt brought me out in hives and I used it only when I had to for my work. I feel, maybe wrongly, that CVs are now really like the old Dos 'C:>' prompt.
It is interesting that Microsoft Windows constantly tried to match the Apple GUI (graphical user interface) and the knowledge of DOS is now definitely for those who need to know it or for real geeks.

The same goes for web site building..once only the province of geeks who knew HTML but now anyone can build a pretty good site by using graphical programmes...deeper programming knowledge is needed for commercial and more sohisticated sites of course

In a short while most train control will all be graphically driven from touch sensitive screens (already available to some extent) and the die-hards will still say that the new stuff is Mickey Mouse and CVs are where its at..........
All Hail JMRI, it has been a real step in the right direction for graphical interpretation of .....dare I say....geeky programming..... and it is free!

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
There is a version to blow the Hornby Elite controller. I use it to run my 1/10th scale working fairground organ. Alyn
39d9240a5d794df5a95c4df4701a3514.jpg
cbc8c4be8e2846f9b83228eccd8df46c.jpg
0dbeec2d20de4b628e4a0fd0f5463534.jpg