Product review on Timpdon Electronics RC Control systems required.

Tizaker

Registered
Hi all, Recently surfed the web and came across Timpdon Electronics (Greater Manchester area) (Local to me) Does any body have any feedback on their RC products? Their contoller (image viewed on web) looks to be compact and durable. Any info much appreciated.

Rob

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
A few of the guys in our local G Scale Society use them and they have many impressive features. They work really well on our indoor layout, but as John mentioned, I was less impressed by seeing one in action at an open day when there was consistent glitching as the loco passed over a large steel bridge.

Del Tapparo

Registered
24 Nov 2009
Windsor, Colorado, USA
www.gscalegraphics.net
Best answers
Country flag
Tizaker said:
Hi all, Recently surfed the web and came across Timpdon Electronics (Greater Manchester area) (Local to me) Does any body have any feedback on their RC products? Their contoller (image viewed on web) looks to be compact and durable. Any info much appreciated.

Rob
After a quick look at the website info, will offer my biased opinion ...
Built to order (don't sell too many)
433MHZ ? Lots of motor noise interference, hence limited range at best.
Repeater modules ? See above.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
You would be much better off with a modern 2.4GHz system. They operate over much longer ranges and do not suffer from glitching at all.

Also, with 433MHz, isn't there a risk of interference from other models (eg aircraft or boats) operating on the same frequency or have I got that wrong?

Peter
MyLocoSound

spoz

What do I do? What I'm told by SWMBO
27 Oct 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
While I know nothing at all about Timpdon, lots of people on this board, including me, use Cliff Barker's stuff which operates in the 433 MHz band. With his FM kit I have never experienced any glitching (have occasionally around two 10,000 litre metal water tanks with the AM version but even there it is not a significant problem); nor have I had interference with other operators or between my locos. I do like the fact that there is no need for continuous comms between tx and rx; and the size of the tx which fit in you pocket - I use both types although I prefer the keyfob.

Steve