Product review: Accucraft Forney

Curlew

Registered
2 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
Having had problems with Accucraft locos I bought this with some trepedation. However, I need not have worried. Things have obviously moved on . This one runs right out of the box, although it will require running in . It is very nicely painted and has a quality feel about it. Inside the smokebox door there is a baffle so this time the track will be safe. It is a small boiler so the run will be roundabout 15 mins, more if you are mean with the gas.
The burner is much better than the Caradoc that I sold on. It is a bit temperamental at the start but once it settles down it is fine. There is a water gauge fitted which on a budget loco is good. It is easy to fit some kind of Goodall valve to top up the water. If you don't like the colour then a black version is available.

One snag is the couplings which appear to be link and pin. This could be a problem for those who run LGB, Bachmann etc. By happy coincidence the fixing holes in the buffer beams are exactly right for Kadee 779.
The real wood buffer beams a nice touch.

All in all this is a very nice little loco. My wife loves the colour. At the Track Shack price it is a bargain. Their price includes next day delivery once the loco has arrived from the States. Photos attached. if time permits later in the week I will upload some video.
11389e3142614ff3984361d407b463f3.jpg

0c86aae2e09f4a46a457e8c2a1de0d2d.jpg

b547479457f7409994c30876931b084f.jpg

af8c917e5c5f4713b59abce5732c0880.jpg

(pictures enlarged by moderators.)

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
I quite fancy one myself but I've just got the Ragleth so it's out at the moment.Does it have the half inch cylinders?

Charles M

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Arvada, Colorado, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have the new Accucraft Porter . Both the Porter and the Forney have the 1/2 inch cylinders. The Porter runs very nicely and is much better than the previous version of the model. The models both require the use of a Goodall valve to top up the water. The larger cylinders use more steam and the engines will run out of water before the gas goes. I have experience with 3 of these new models and this goes for all of them. I have gotten 25 minutes of run time after the pressure is up . I stop at 5-6 minute intervals and add a little water , seems to work . Have not run dry when doing this . I have serial number 003 of the Porter run !

Charles M

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
will add my 2 cents
some weeks back i was at a steam up at the Colorado RR Museum courtesy the Denver Garden Rwy Society and watched a fellow new to live steam, with a new stock Forney run it-his and its first time as i understood

watched the entire preparation and light up

ran nicely and not a run away speed demon 

seemed easy to use and pleasant to watch and hear

seemed to run a respectable time 

very pleasant livery and seems a good loco indeed