Problems with Bachmann wheels

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Mmmm No expert opinion offered here but a bit of gut feel.

I have never chanced sprung loaded points on model railroads - there's too many non-scale factors that come into play.

However, as someone with a bit of a wheel fetish, and with a reasonable abundance of wheel types on my poorly laid track I can suggest:

LGB - large overscale flanges with very sharp profile; likely to be able to push a spring loaded blade

Bachmann plastic - wrong back-to-back; throw 'em away

Bachmann metal - back-to back is fine, reasonable representation of profile which gives a rounded edge to the flange; I can understand a tendency to ride up over the blade rather than push it.

Accucraft BMS - similar to Bachmann metal; slightly sharper flange, may push through a blade but the spring tension would need to be 'just so'.

Accucraft AMS - nice looking profile; don't even think about pushing through a sprung model point (turnout), the profile is much too fine.

Have no experience of Piko of Lilliput.

Here endeth the wisdom of Rhino :happy::happy::happy::happy:

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I go along with Rhino's info with an addition. Dear old ana.kramer on ebay does the roll-eze wheelsets (which are made by USA Trains or at least from the same factory etc). These are available in ballbearing and non ball bearing variants. They are really good and have (touching piece of wood as I type) given me no probs at all. They are beautifully plated and can be painted to get rid of the face plating's shine. Buying in bulk makes them not much more than bachmann and definitely cheaper than LGB!

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I'm sorry, it is the 'blue pack' Lilliput wheels I use, and still too nippy to go out and test.
:D

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
pugwash said:
I'm sorry, it is the 'blue pack' Lilliput wheels I use, and still too nippy to go out and test.

Have you got a piccy of the Liliput wheelset - I'm curious to see if it's thta much different from Bachmann's offering :thinking:

Ah, also forgot to mention in Friday night's rambling that I have some Tenmille, Brandbright and Slaters wheelsets, all too finely profiled to try with sprung point blades, and some USAT sets. Interesting the black USAT set seems to have a different flange profile to the shiny set :eek:nphone::eek:nphone: my brain 'urts :thinking::thinking::yawn:

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I really can't see that Lilliput wheels will be any different to Bachmann. Bachmann are part of a big manufacturer. They will have been made all together and just have different card attached to them. Thats the way manufacturing works.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting the black USAT set seems to have a different flange profile to the shiny set

In this case USAT, being a company which does not manufacture itself, probably have different suppliers for each type of wheel.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Rhinochugger said:
pugwash said:

Have you got a piccy of the Liliput wheelset - I'm curious to see if it's thta much different from Bachmann's offering :thinking:

Ah, also forgot to mention in Friday night's rambling that I have some Tenmille, Brandbright and Slaters wheelsets, all too finely profiled to try with sprung point blades, and some USAT sets. Interesting the black USAT set seems to have a different flange profile to the shiny set :eek:nphone::eek:nphone: my brain 'urts :thinking::thinking::yawn:
See what that wheel fetish does to you?

I could post a pix of both Bachmann and Lilliput wheels for you, even though it could be seen as a bit pervy....

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
The main problem is power to weight, in fact the spring in the switch box it will be far to strong in relation to the force required to set the points....

I know there are points of the trailing design on the real railway but its a power to wieght ration even the lightest vehicle at say about four ton will push over a point blade but then they can be moved with a man and two foot crow bar.

But generally all points on the railway are set prior to the train going through them.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
steve parberry said:
The main problem is power to weight, in fact the spring in the switch box it will be far to strong in relation to the force required to set the points....

I know there are points of the trailing design on the real railway but its a power to wieght ration even the lightest vehicle at say about four ton will push over a point blade but then they can be moved with a man and two foot crow bar.

But generally all points on the railway are set prior to the train going through them.
Works in G Scale too! And I noticed it's used on the WHR/FR on passing loops and some Network Rail single track routes as well.

Nearly all my trailing points are set for pushing through. I do add weight to the lighter wagons though, usually by adding a load of logs, gravel or bricks. Only facing points are motored on the main line of my layout.

Adding weight to my rolling stock is partially the reason for replacing the LGB plastic wheels with metal Bachmann/Lilliput ones, along with better running and cleaner track....

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
As Gizzy says above. I use Bachmann metal wheels with a few Accucraft ones - no problems ob three sets of R1 points (trailing). Also weighted pony trucks on Big Haulers 'cos they did derail sometimes.

Mick

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Some pix of the Bachmann and Lilliput wheel sets.

Puggy, look away now!

The packaging is identical except for the branding and colour.

8fd1a5f679934ea2a64f52bded326e7a.jpg

On the back of both, Made in China, and the address for Bachmann in Philly on the Bachmann red ones, and the addresses for Bachmann Europe in Nurnberg and Barwell, Leics, as well as CE marking on the blue ones.

cd466594fb9f4be7bde8e3dde8fca940.jpg

The axles on the Bachmann on the left appear to be 'split', but on closer inspection, this is just 2 plastic sleeves around a thinner metal axle, whereas the Lilliput has a thicker all metal axle. Neither of the wheels rotate separently. On the plastic wheels that have been replaced, each wheel is able to move independantly ofthe other on the axle.

98b5982a12284d9eb1601bea45335491.jpg

The wheels from the side, Bachmann on the left. To me these are identical, the only difference being the axle itself as mentioned previously.

0cad6a43604443ff86288d9243d085cd.jpg

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:

Puggy, look away now!

On the back of both, Made in China, and the address for Bachmann in Philly on the Bachmann red ones, and the addresses for Bachmann Europe in Nurnberg and Barwell, Leics, as well as CE marking on the blue ones.

The axles on the Bachmann on the left appear to be 'split', but on closer inspection, this is just 2 plastic sleeves around a thinner metal axle, whereas the Lilliput has a thicker all metal axle. Neither of the wheels rotate separently. On the plastic wheels that have been replaced, each wheel is able to move independantly ofthe other on the axle.

The wheels from the side, Bachmann on the left. To me these are identical, the only difference being the axle itself as mentioned previously.

So - the Lilliput wheelsets might be that bit heavier?

Mick

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for showing the pics of the two ranges Gizzy. I don't keep small packaging.

Chris: Not only is there a physical difference between the two sets of wheel (the pics illustrate that) and I think the post which suggested the Lilliput version might be heavier is probably correct. But there is a definite feeling of superiority about the Lilliput wheels when compared to the Bachmann marked ones.

One project for this spring will be to check all wheels as they pass through switches/points. Any that show a wobble or irregularity will be the subject of examination and measurement.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
trammayo said:
Gizzy said:

Puggy, look away now!

So - the Lilliput wheelsets might be that bit heavier?

Mick
Good point Mick!

I never actually thought to weigh them, but thinking about it, the Lilliput ones with the thicker metal axles are ever so slightly heavier.

I've just fitted the Lilliput ones to my rake of 5 OEG Hopper Wagons, and the Bachmann ones to a pair of Bogie Flats. I only brought the Bachmann ones yesterday, having seen them in my local model shop. Usually though, he stocks the Lilliput version, and I've asked him to get some more for me.

I'll be buying a couple of packs a month, until I re-wheel my rolling stock for the next year or two....

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:

Puggy, look away now!

Very nice :love::love:

Yep, it's only the axle that's different. so it won't help the sprung blade-pushing fraternity. The plastic tubes on the Bachmann axles appear to be the gauge-setters - crude but effective.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
The Devonian said:
Thanks for showing the pics of the two ranges Gizzy. I don't keep small packaging.
Only had the packaging, as I hadn't opened them until today Alan!

Tim's post has spurred me on to get on with fitting them. I will 'test' them when the weather is better here, and let him know how I get on with running them through my own sprung loaded trailing LGB points.

I've kept the packaging for the old wheels, some of which have been promised to Ricky for his self build hopper wagon project. The others may be used as wagon loads or for scenic purposes, and spares....

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, I peeped. :rofl:
I bought mine in Germany by the boxload (never one to do things by halves) and they all come from China via Blighty then Germany.
I looked for the flaming obvious like wobbles, dinks or other manufacturing faults but can't find any, just the markings in the plastic of the points. Speaking of points, this is the only place they fall off, never on track either straight or R1 reverse 'S' bends.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the pictures Gizzy. A while ago I bought a couple of wagons from ebay, both have metal wheelsets fitted. They 'look' very similar to the liliput variation, and funnily enough I have no issues with them whatsoever. I'll get a pic uploaded a little later and maybe someone can let me know their maker. My only other option is to electrify the points, and have them operated automatically, but as I'm only running dc power the wiring is already getting out of control :happy:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
A short vid of how I use sprung LGB points on the run round loop at Sheringham.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GizLiz#p/a/u/0/OGSD45IraEU

Thyse wagons all have LGB wheels, but are due to be upgraded to Lilliput soon....

Tried twice to take a peek at your vid but it fails to load - the page comes up with the viewing screen and the dots go round in the middle and that's it!:crying:

Mick