Problems with Bachmann wheels

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
trammayo said:
Gizzy said:
A short vid of how I use sprung LGB points on the run round loop at Sheringham.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GizLiz#p/a/u/0/OGSD45IraEU

Thyse wagons all have LGB wheels, but are due to be upgraded to Lilliput soon....

Tried twice to take a peek at your vid but it fails to load - the page comes up with the viewing screen and the dots go round in the middle and that's it!:crying:

Mick
Working for me Mick?

Maybe your internet connection in Ireland? Might have to wait for the satelite to pass overhead....

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
Working for me Mick?

Maybe your internet connection in Ireland? Might have to wait for the satelite to pass overhead....

I think you've hit the proverbial on the head there:rofl: I'll have another go tomorrow!

Thanks

Mick

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
trammayo said:
Gizzy said:
Working for me Mick?

I think you've hit the proverbial on the head there:rofl: I'll have another go tomorrow!

Thanks

Mick
Next one passes over Co. Mayo Tuesday week....

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
GOT IT! - everbody must be fast asleep or that Sats early (Dublin time?).

Like - the principal of trailing and spring loaded points works well! Q.E.D.

In the early days of horse drawn trams, they did try India Rubber balls wedged behind the point tongues. It worked until nature overtook the crude "engineering" principles!

Mick

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Gizzy said:
A short vid of how I use sprung LGB points on the run round loop at Sheringham.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GizLiz#p/a/u/0/OGSD45IraEU

Thyse wagons all have LGB wheels, but are due to be upgraded to Lilliput soon....

Thanks Gizzy why didnt i think of that !!!!! can even automate it Single line extension can now go ahead, chears :clap:

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
i am missing one information in this thread:
do the derailings occour only with four aixle cars, or with two aixle cars as well?
just thinking... a four aixled car has to have double the weight for the same push.

and frankly i can not believe, that the minimal differences between the different brands can cause the problems without another factor involved.

on my layout i'm running wheels of very different quality without problems.(LGB plastic and metal, playmo, crudely turned wheels from plastic or steel, even wheels from bump 'n run toy locos - but with two aixle wagons)

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
It's doing it with both 2 axle and 4 axle stock. I changed the operation of the sprung points, so that the train enters the loop with the points set for the curve and exits by pushing the points on the straight, if that makes sense. This has made it so that all my plastic wheeled stock operates very smoothly through the points (even very light stock) but the metal Bachmanns still don't want to know. Whatda pain!! :wits:

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
nicebutdim said:
It's doing it with both 2 axle and 4 axle stock. I changed the operation of the sprung points, so that the train enters the loop with the points set for the curve and exits by pushing the points on the straight, if that makes sense. This has made it so that all my plastic wheeled stock operates very smoothly through the points (even very light stock) but the metal Bachmanns still don't want to know. Whatda pain!! :wits:
Is it all your stock or just one or two wagons?

Have you tried turning the errant vehicles 180 degrees and trying them in the opposite direction?

Just a thought....

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Yup, tried in different stock, different direction etc. Haven't yet tried in the stock already fitted with metal wheels, will give that a go a little later, although they are heavier anyway as they have loads. It may be my points, they are old(er) second hand units, although very little wear on the frogs and guides. I don't want to weaken the springs, as I rely on the points for my loops.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
nicebutdim said:
Yup, tried in different stock, different direction etc. Haven't yet tried in the stock already fitted with metal wheels, will give that a go a little later, although they are heavier anyway as they have loads. It may be my points, they are old(er) second hand units, although very little wear on the frogs and guides. I don't want to weaken the springs, as I rely on the points for my loops.

If it's just the odd point Tim, check if it's level, and not twisted.

Also take the top off the point lever, check it's clean, and squirt a bit of silicon spray (SWMBO's furniture polish might do) inside, before reassembly....

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
It's doing it on both sprung points, which when I layed all the points I took extra care of so as not to have any problems like this. I regularly clean out the spring boxes of spiders nests and other accumulations and add a couple of drops of lgb special oil to all the moving parts. I would have thought if there was any problems with the points it would affect all wheels, rather than these few axles that are proving a problem. It could be I just have a batch of wheels that are not quite 'right', as one of the Bachmann box cars runs fine over everything, but the other plays up, as does the 4 axles that came from the same packet.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Right, just had a look at the axles off one of the wagons that I've had a while and gives me no trouble. Identical to the Bachmann wheels but without the plastic tube spacers on the axle itself, so comparing to Gizzy's photos they must be the Liliput variation. I've weighed them, the Liliput ones come in at 3g under the Bachmann type, which I guess would be the weight of the plastic tubes. Now I've tried these on the same wagons that would not push the points with the Bachmann's, and they run through fine. There must be difference between them except for the spacers, but I don't have a microscope! :happy:

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Think I've sorted it. I measured the back to back of the metal wheels that have no problems, then the Bachmann ones. Turns out the Bachmann wheels were about 1.5mm wider. I pushed them right in, so the wheels are squeezed tight onto the plastic spacer tubes, and this matches the dimensions of the Liliput axles. As of yet, no problems, pushing through the points fine and running somewhat smoother. So if any of you do have similar issues, try pushing the wheels right in against the spacers.
Thanks to everyone for your help, especially about the back to back measurement and the pics.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
nicebutdim said:
Think I've sorted it. I measured the back to back of the metal wheels that have no problems, then the Bachmann ones. Turns out the Bachmann wheels were about 1.5mm wider. I pushed them right in, so the wheels are squeezed tight onto the plastic spacer tubes, and this matches the dimensions of the Liliput axles. As of yet, no problems, pushing through the points fine and running somewhat smoother. So if any of you do have similar issues, try pushing the wheels right in against the spacers.
Thanks to everyone for your help, especially about the back to back measurement and the pics.
Good result mate!

Noted for when the LG&B starts running its re-wheel stock....

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
I have this problem, not all the time, and have found the using a gauge and re-setting the wheels cured the problem. Sometimes though a shim is required on the check rails so that the wheels don't jump on the V.