Preping 3D printed parts

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Buy your own printer.. Then the quality is on you..?
Share the 3d..everyone wins.

Mike I have no intention in getting involved in trying to produce my own 3D printed parts. I have no knowledge of how to work with the required software and I doubt I would be able to buy anything that can create items to a sufficient "resolution" to meet my required standard at a decent price. In other words it would be a rather large white elephant that, even if I could find applications for or the will to learn to operate, would have little actual use.

Thanks to those who suggested using a high build primer. It just about works but is far from perfect but considering the time involved to refinish 5 parts and the cost and volume of the materials for what amounts to a very small area to paint I do not think it is worth it. I asked the maker what volume of production they had so far for the model the parts were intended for and the figure quoted put them well in range for economical casting in a quick cure resin to a fully finished and usable form.

As is obvious to make anything that is usable for a detail nut you are going to have to work to resolve a part at such high definition as to make it impractical for cost/time effective production in a 3D printed format. Sorry to be so negative but I think the technology's novelty is leading to its improper application and resulting models being produced that are not able to be built to a decent standard by the average modeler with ease. In the long run nobody wins by the misuse of this means of production. Max

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
As is obvious to make anything that is usable for a detail nut you are going to have to work to resolve a part at such high definition as to make it impractical for cost/time effective production in a 3D printed format. Sorry to be so negative but I think the technology's novelty is leading to its improper application and resulting models being produced that are not able to be built to a decent standard by the average modeler with ease. In the long run nobody wins by the misuse of this means of production. Max

Must admit, unless you are going for resin-printed parts, I tend to agree..