Power points lights

G

Greyfox

Registered
28 Jun 2019
Farnham
Dear all .i have a LGB control box that I use to power my points via transformer dc power,But I now have a massoth dimax system and I know I need to run two wires to track from control system ,but how do I get power to points and lights on track and in carriages thanks Paul

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Registered
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
You can still use track power from the wheels to drive carriage lights with DCC as with DC. In my simple brain DCC combines power and control signals in the track voltage, so you can still use the power bit without deciphering the control signals bit. If you want to get sophisticated you can pickup power from the carriage wheels to power an accessory decoder, then you can switch the lights on and off under DCC control. Massoth do carriage light strips with a built-in decoder not too expensively.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Just remember that if you have older Carriages the Lights May blow on DCC. The newer bulbs are OK at DCC Track Voltage I believe.

As for your Points you can run them through DCC but you will need an LGB Accessory Decoder 55025. This will run up to 4 Points, but setting them up is a bit of a Dark Art. There is a thread about these somewhere in the Forum.

G

Greyfox

Registered
28 Jun 2019
Farnham
Thanks very much

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
To paraphrase Jon a bit, the DCC is a boon and a bane when converting from "analog DC".

Quite often the lamps in DC locos are 18v rated or so, which is fine, as the track voltage is varied to control the speed, and 18v volts is pretty rare, trains will usually run at way too high a speed.

Now, DCC has a constant voltage on the track, so now, the norm in G scale is 24v (this is to ensure all locos can hit top speed if necessary)... but it is 24v ALL THE TIME,

So your 18v bulbs will probably burn out if there is no accommodation for the constant higher voltage.

To make it a bit trickier, this is actually AC on the rails. Incandescent bulbs do not care (like the common light bulbs in your house), but LEDs want DC not AC, so usually you put a full wave bridge rectifier to lights connected to the rails on DCC. LEDs also need appropriate "current limiting resistors" to basically control the current so they do not burn out.

If you are using a decoder, then there are more accommodations for LEDs and the appropriate voltages/currents.

The bottom line is check the situation carefully before putting a lighted "DC" car on DCC power.

Greg

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Registered
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Good points Greg. I keep forgetting I run my DCC at quite low voltage (19v into the command centre) so no problem with standard LGB incandescent bulbs powered off the track.

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
That is a good solution if you can do it. In my case, I run 1:29 and Aristo 3 axle diesel motorblocks are very geared down. 20 volts only yielded 62.5 scale miles per hour. Not even fast enough for freights, and very no good for passengers.

They don't always run full prototype speed, but I try to have all my trains set up to achieve full prototype speed (I have no "bullet trains" haha). Another plus is if I go to any other DCC layout, the chances are pretty much zero that they will be OVER 24 volts.

But I would be doing things at a lower voltage if I had narrow gauge for example.

Greg

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Hm interesting re Carriages, I and Andy Rush had between us 4 of the LGB Pullmans. They were as new and the Lights ran fine on DCC Current (no Coach DCC Gubbins) as picked up from the Rails. Without delving through mountains of Catalogues I cannot quote the ref numbers, but 2 of my Brown ones were from the Brown Mallett Set in the big wood box plus a Golden Arrow one (which I still have). Andrews one was the MOB one. All mostly I believe pre dating MTS (DCC) but having the higher rated Bulbs.

D

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA
I bought a reel of led light strips that are 12 volts. I tied them in series for 24 volts and get great light. The reel of 50 light strips was $15.00 US. I did use a full wave bridge and a 220uf capacitor for anti flickering.

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
I did the same on my Aristo passenger cars.

Not all locomotives in the world are LGB with 24v bulbs, many other trains use lower voltage bulbs for headlights and other things that need to be bright, like marker lamps.

I have watched my Aristo marker lights on locos and cabooses slowly go away under 34 volts.

Greg