Pot bound plants....If that is the right phrase

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Looking to plant some dwarf conifers, not sure if it is the right time of year, etc ,etc.

Don't want them to grow too high, two or three feet, will suit my needs, but then I don't want the roots spreading either.

Opinions please, as to if the idea of planting them pots et al, will give me the result I want, or any potential pitfalls.

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
I have done this. Growing plants in pots that is. Basically you would be creating Bonsai, so in early spring you prune the shoots and roots to keep things how you want them, train the branches by wrapping wire around them and bending to where you want them for a season or 2. If you plant the pots in the ground the roots will escape via the drainage holes so you need to be able to "lift and twist" the pots to prevent them going wild. You would be surprised how big a tree you can grow in a very small pot, but watering is a prime consideration, pots especially crammed with roots dry out very quickly.....
Mine are going great guns; http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/the-fat-controller-said-let-there-be.html

Reactions: 1 user

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I have some in planters on my line. The proper dwarf types probably don`t need keeping in restricting pots due to their very slow growing nature. I was told by my regular source planters and pots were great at restricting the growth of more regular types of conifer. Don`t forget to feed potted conifers with the correct nutrient solutions as well as water as they are not available from the surrounding soil as a normally planted tree would have.

A pic of my station area.  The trees in shot are in planters on top of a concrete patio. There are 6 trees and they have been in for 5 years. I have only lost one and the was the only "dwarf", and Alberta Spruce. The regular conifer types in the planters are a lot smaller than identical types planted normally at the same time and seem fit and healthy.
garden rail shots 003.JPG
Max.

KandNWLR

Live steam on the indoor K&NWLR
18 Dec 2011
Alsace
www.youtube.com
Best answers
ROSS said:
Morning all. Nice and sunny.

Shrubs etc.,

Yeah right..I was told by the local nursery man that the conifer shrubs I bought would grow no more than 5 feet tall and 3 feet in diameter, Mmmmm.
They are now about 6 feet 6 inches and five feet diameter......................................so do the right thing Bonsai them as Trev said.....because another couple of years weather such as we have had this year will probably see the things go bananas...

The banana tree / shrub / bush a doors down here in Alsace is doing nicely, but I definitely wouldn´t recommend it for garden railways

Reactions: 1 user

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
KandNWLR said:
The banana tree / shrub / bush a doors down here in Alsace is doing nicely, but I definitely wouldn´t recommend it for garden railways
Yeah Banana skins on th tracks will cause loss of traction....