Portable raised track - need help with framework ideas!

scaleandy

Registered
4 Feb 2010
Yarra Valley, Victoria Australia
Best answers
Hi all,

I would like to build a small raised, portable track that could be easily put together and packed up and loaded into the back of a station wagon. Shape would be a simple loop of maybe 8m long, 1.2m radius curves at either end and framework feet would require good adjustment for rough surfaces (such as being outdoors).

Am I attempting the impossible here? Look forward to your thoughts.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
If you only wanted it to set up indoors or on good flat surfaces, then I'd think the simplest ready-made option would be to use a number of the inexpensive wallpapering tables from a DIY store; but the requirement for adjustable legs/feet makes it much more complicated, lining everything up to keep the benchwork flat and level will require some fiddly stuff. My first thought is how about the sort of screw-in feet that you get to level up some desks or domestic appliances? Would that give you enough adjustment (probably no more than an inch or so at each leg), or do you need to cope with rougher ground than that?
I suppose that if you make sure the tabletops bolt or otherwise fix together fairly strongly to ensure good alignment, then you MAY be able to get away with not every leg touching the ground all the time.....?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Not a loop as you would like, but here is a portable layout bulit by Beancounter and finished off by myself.

Two parts, that fit into a VW Golf hatchback, a Ford Mondeo, or in my case a trailer....

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Over the past 30 years building layouts for exhibiting, I've used two methods of support: separate trestles and legs which fold up and store under the layout baseboard. Trestles are easy to make and use, integral folding legs are neater and not likely to be forgotten (yes, I did once forget a trestle!)

Here's an example trestle - one of 6 made in the early 1980's and still going strong: in fact about to be used by my young lad with his small portable G layout that's currently under construction! Using chain and a hook across the bottom struts gives a height-adjustable trestle that fold nice and flat for transportation.

763b013e615a4167a90fec172766cae0.jpg

To give some vertical adjustment on the legs, I've used these adjustable feet which are readily available in the UK. Drill a hole in the bottom of the leg, knock in the spiked nut and screw in the foot. These give me about 3cm of adjustment.

645afc1c6c444dbbbfb1119acda10eaf.jpg

I've also seen an alternative design of foot that mounts on the side of the leg and gives longer adjustment.

I'm not a fan of using pasting tables - they're poorly made with just a sheet of hardboard over a thin frame. All the ones I've seen sag in the middle.

Make yourself a framework strong enough to support the weight of our large scale models. My lad's layout that I mentioned above is using a baseboard from an old N gauge layout, again built in the 1980's. It uses 2" x 1" timber for the frame which seems sufficient now it's got the trackbed attached.

0886aaa6996b4a1baeca464d3ea399dd.jpg

f0491a6592bb4ef48394dff5e652b0d5.jpg

Marc

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Holland
Best answers
Some pictures of my tables. We put all our scenery loose on the tables. this way we can change the layout
at every event we visit.

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

11 cm for 5 tables.

IMG_0162.JPG

MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
[align=center]Have you thought about using foam insulation, the four inch thick stuff is light and rigid and can be carved, look like a standard method of baseboard construction in Th USA
[/align]

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
25 Oct 2009
Gold Coast, QLD, The Land Downunder
Best answers
Country flag
I am seriously considering using internal doors for an indoor:rofl:/exhibition layout.
Still working out details but they are 2040mm long and come in varying widths up to 840mm.

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
http://deloropacific.org/index.htm

Check out the Del Oro Pacific, they use a modified version of Ntrack Modular Layout Standards which are nominaly 2'x4' with larger modules for curves. The whole shibang can be set up and taken down in a very short time.