POLA verses Piko quality

tj4shee

Registered
31 Oct 2010
Best answers
I only own a couple of POLA buildings... and am finding that buying additional POLA buildings is going to be a challenge..... either financially for new stuff or ebay sellers odd ideas of "In new condition - all parts included"

So I was wondering if someone could give me a general comparison of Piko models vs. the POLA.... In particular, the durability and "heaviness" of the plastic and the details.

Thanks for any input.... Tim.

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Tim
I have both types of building on my railway. In my view Pola are much superior to Piko, yes they are more expensive, how ever the plastic is much thicker and the quality and detail is better. I do not buy Piko building anymore.
I think its a case of you pay for what you get and its definitely worth saving that bit more money to buy Pola......:clap:

adverse camber

Registered
2 Dec 2009
East Anglia
Best answers
Country flag
I have well over 50 garden buildings now mostly piko and pola but one or two others as well. I agree that Pola are better quality than Piko both in terms of the plastic but also the way they go together. Piko have a nasty tendency to leave it to your imagination when attaching balconies and facards to the front of buildings (ie no tabs or slots) this makes them weak and prone to fall off if knocked. I have taken to reinforcing their attachment with stainless steel pins or plastistrut which is a bore.

Having said that I have had examples of both types of buliding that have been outside for over a decade and are still in good condition. I bring them in in the winter but once they go out in the spring they stay there. Inevitably they sometimes need some minor fixing, but there has been no deteroration in the sunlight or significant warping.

I would buy the models you like and want on your railroad, both will look good but Piko ones may need a bit of minor reinforcement or modification. The cost of doing this may amke up the difference in cost.

AC

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I have used both types in the garden. The Piko buildings may be a bit crude but they are still intact. The Pola buildings have many details which tend to fall off after a few years. I have quite a few buildings requiring attention at the moment, all Pola.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I must agree with all that has been said. I have jettisoned most of my Piko structures. They just don't have the stamina of the Pola buildings. As for the small details on Pola, I don't apply them. I have found through experience, that the small details like gutters, downspouts, gable end trim, and the like, just don't hold up to weather, and the occasional bump by a foot or gardening chores.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
another for pola-the overall warmth charm and quality are significant-i far prefer to piko
ther is something about POLA that shows artisan design and detail-
PIKO are Stalinesque in industrial efficiency-they work but no love or aesthetics generally speaking-all walls are perfect-no exposed bricks fromunder the stucco, all wood is perfect-no grain-no bolts or nails etc

and i dont care for piko's thin acetate window materials and overall very plain details-
i would far prefer to find the small pola offerings for my layouts

and even though we all use them-the pola stickers for trains signs and ads add a great deal -for the most part-PIKO doesnt do these or when they do they are niggardly in number and not the best reporductions nor printed on weatherproof plastic paper

HOWEVER

the grizzly flats station and piko US 'durango' or the like water tower are second to none

better proportioned than the pola us tank by far-much larger-if thats what you want-
excellent quality and nice detail -i think these were specifically designed to compete with POLA as they were fsome of the first offering from the company

and they are are top notch-the grizzly flats station in particular is highly detailed architecturally-it needs a base plate as well as station accoutrements however

i have also all three adobe buildings -also top notch and heavy-but dull
in order to make them fun- i have spent a considerable amount in doll house accessories such as fountains, pergolas, benches, bells etc to make them less austere and box looking-so not that much less than POLA in this regard

the piko chapel is nicely made too-but dull
the small engine shed-that is the double door version really designed for a very dimunitvie Chloe or a FRR engine -as i recall even a stainz doesnt quite fit or a rail truck -isn't bad-imho doors are ill proportioned and overall detail os mediocre-again dull but not a bad building

i have also the two story farm house-modular and not robust but not flimsy-again dull-and unlike POLA if you open a door there is no inside 'floor' so doors left ajar look wrong unless you fix things up
from a US point of view-the items (not including grizzly flats or the water tower-all have a euro feel-the roofs in particular as well as the mullions and windows

the piko friehght station in brick is also a great building -truly a chameleon -german, english, or eastern US in style

what you save with piko is spent in additional details and the like to make them come to life

frankly if you cannot afford pola-or cannot find them-
piko is the next best

thought id give you some examples

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
stevedenver said:
PIKO are Stalinesque in industrial efficiency-they work but no love or aesthetics generally speaking-all walls are perfect-no exposed bricks fromunder the stucco, all wood is perfect-no grain-no bolts or nails etc

Ties to their East German origins perhaps? For GDR and Austrian stuff, I am still wishing Auhagen made 1:22,5 buildings....my H0 offerings from them are NICE.

But sometimes the Pola stuff is just a bit too cute...not Pola bashing, this was their way (exposed bricks, broken windows, etc), as I am an avid collector of H0 Pola kits (buy them unbilt and keep them in boxes on shelves).

I have found mixed results in Pola and Piko buildings, as Steve in Denver points out, some Piko are better than others, and even some options within the kits. The large Neustadt station is a PITA to build, but was an easy mod to make it Austrian-esque, where as every Pola Schonweiler looks like Schonwiler when done. The smaller depots (1:32 buildings truthfully) will take some kitbashing work. But then the Piko half timber houses are just great, but has THIN window glass unlike other Piko kits.

There have been a couple Pola kits I have not really liked, the biggest was the small metal "halt", not a well thought out kit and not durable at all.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
yes that small halt was not well fitted-have one myself and have had to bolster the joints a bit for a sturdy construct
but looks better when plastered with POLA ad stickers
OTOH
it looks great with the trolleys

Aljosha

Animals + their Surgery ;-), G/H0 Scale, Trumpet,
24 Oct 2009
Paris, France
Best answers
Good input so far, guys!
Thanks in advance, even if I it wasn't me who actually put out the original question! :D

One detail I might add, although it's not exactly what was asked:

Both POLA + PIKO do fall apart if moved lots some years later due to some insufficient glue used. As my rlwy is in storage right now I have several buildings which have 'nicely' gone back to pre-assembly-kit fashion... :wits:
There were threads here about which glue to use best. Cannot remember which one tho... :confused: :admire:

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
you gets what you pay for.