POLA Kits - What glue would you recommend ??

steinz

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Best answers
I have recently purchased some POLA Buildings which have been (carefully) taken to pieces, but now need re-constructing - and put outside in the garden.
The product that has been recommended to me is "Gripfill Max".
Has anybody used the above product?
Can anyone recommend an alternative product?

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Pola do their own cement which is specifically for the plastic used for their buildings, it is unlike other modelling glues (I used it for some preiser self-assembly figures and they self-disassembled rapidly) and wouldn't use anything else. It strings like mad but sets quickly and once set is very difficult to pull apart. And you really have to work in a well ventilated area or just do a bit at a time as it does make you giddy.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Pola glue is good, and I have also used super glue as well but I always strenghten the corners with a damn good bead of exterior no nails. If it is going to stand outside the belt and braces rule applies

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
Gorrila Glue. You can get it from Scerwfix. It also expands while setting, so crap joints are taken care off. V strong.

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
POLA cement - v sticky, lasts, does the job

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
pugwash said:
Pola do their own cement which is specifically for the plastic used for their buildings, it is unlike other modelling glues (I used it for some preiser self-assembly figures and they self-disassembled rapidly) and wouldn't use anything else. It strings like mad but sets quickly and once set is very difficult to pull apart. And you really have to work in a well ventilated area or just do a bit at a time as it does make you giddy.

And there is something wrong with that ???8D

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have found the Pola glue to be excellent. However, out in the weather for long periods, it can become brittle. I use Tub Surround Adhesive. Here in the States it is used for fastening the plastic sheet of inexpensive tub surrounds to the walls. It has a fast grab, its made for plastic, and it stays rather flexible.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
If you can get a supply of the Pola glue then I would use that I have buildings on my railway that have been out there for 20 years with just Pola glue and their fine, the odd detail goes missing every now and again but thats the wildlife's fault not the glue!!

20 years this one!
94910f30b58542178f165d9193d84b33.jpg

Example of wildlife.......................
2bfe52e7b3d742efa7615aa675fef519.jpg

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
That pooch sure do look wild.........................not

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
if you cant get POLA glue (UHU brand) -which, here in the US, is sold at some crafts stores-several formulas-one for plastic is close but not as strong a solvent-Tesotrs styrene also works -and Tamaya styrene glue is amazing but it is liquid and can take a bit of repeated washes on both parts to get a good meld

i dont like to use acc with pola as aligning walls a roofs is impossible -but it works -ACC can also cloud some types of thinner glazing material

what i really like and highly recommend, even over POLA glue, is a US product called Quick Grip-there must be equivalent products

it is a clear thick gel and is actually a fabric glue

-basically a contact cement which stays slightly flexible
goofs -simply smear and rub into ball and remove-(but its not a rubber cement per se-much better IMHO)

-why i have come to love it is final squaring and alignment of those pesky POLA roofs-which arent always perfectly flat

-and -it allows for removal with a firm tug if you screw up-also not unheard of with POLA pictographic instructions-

best of all-it weathers well and unlike ACC or styrene glue-the slight 'give' often helps absorb the shock to joined parts with knocks to a building, saves protruding items from breaking -the wall sconce, little lightening rods, chimneys, wall clock, telephone pole assembly on the roof etc

steinz

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Best answers
Wow - great information, really appreciated !!!
Will post an up-date when they are re-built :)

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Jeremy had POLA cement last time I was there

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009