Pola coaling tower switch component Help please

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
hi folks can anyone identify this Pola coaling tower polarity switching component please?

Attachments

• IMG_20230202_094053.jpg
    IMG_20230202_094053.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 0

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Low power bridge rectifier, to convert the AC source to DC.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Assuming it is Just a 'black box' and doesn't have a toggle or rocker on the other side...

The labelling suggests a bridge rectifier, but two of the connections would be redundant.

So perhaps it could be a relay, and the label has come from a different component?

PhilP

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Assuming it is Just a 'black box' and doesn't have a toggle or rocker on the other side...

The labelling suggests a bridge rectifier, but two of the connections would be redundant.

So perhaps it could be a relay, and the label has come from a different component?

PhilP
a ok cheers for the help

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Looking up the part number it is a Solid State Rectifier Power-supply Selenium bridge rectifier 30 V 100 mA

Replacement/Equivalent possibly available from here or a local electronics place.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I see 2 different parts. The bridge rectifier is a small part and the 6 lugs are a separate part. The 2 yelloww wires are the power into the bridge rectifier and on the left I see 2 wires going to the large tabs of which there are 2 rows of 3 connected to the + and - side of the rectifier.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Have a look at this listing Pola G Gauge - 1938 Limited Edition Large Coaling Depot (Motorised) - Boxed | eBay 4th picture. Looks like you may have a missing part that matches GAP's find B 30C100, Tube B30C100; Röhre B 30C100 ID59757, Solid State. Put the 2 together and you may have the answer. The listing is for the factory built item, I have the unmotorised kit version. Max

Edit - The listing states the one being sold has been tested on a 16v DC power supply. If this is as factory supplied then just need to join the dots, hopefully.

Last edited:

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Have a look at this listing Pola G Gauge - 1938 Limited Edition Large Coaling Depot (Motorised) - Boxed | eBay 4th picture. Looks like you may have a missing part that matches GAP's find B 30C100, Tube B30C100; Röhre B 30C100 ID59757, Solid State. Put the 2 together and you may have the answer. The listing is for the factory built item, I have the un-motorised kit version. Max

Edit - The listing states the one being sold has been tested on a 16v DC power supply. If this is as factory supplied then just need to join the dots, hopefully.
The black item in question is a rocker switch, plainly seen in Pics 1 and 2 in link provided by maxi-model, looking at the terminals more than likely a DPDT as Greg suggested.

So to answer the OP question components are; 1. a bridge rectifier 2. a switch.
If they have not been separated then wiring a new one would be simple as duplicating the old one ie "join the dots" as maxi said.
If separated then yellow wires to AC input +/- DC output connected to the switch.
If the new components do not fit into where the old ones did they can be mounted separately and jumper wired together.

David Palmeter

Fun in the Central Hoosier Flatlands
7 Dec 2017
Noblesville IN
palmeter.com
Best answers
Country flag
Not to horn in but just this past Sunday I went to a friend's house to pick up a package deal that included a Pola Large Coaling Tower. For anyone else in need of information, I have pictures of the components that were included, apparently a later version. I didn't realize how big it is, a bit overwhelming on my indoor branch line!

.IMG_7491px1024.JPG

IMG_7493px1024.JPG

IMG_7494px1024.JPG

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
David! It lives!!
:rofl:

PhilP