Pola 330911 Double Track Loco Shed

RH Prague

Central European. the station pub is Czech !!
28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
can you slide the building back a tad? the loco should have overhang, of an inch or two, before the wheels come to rail end. Careful placement of the yellow track stops might just allow you to have slightly more room to exit without more track length. (from the photo it appears this might be possible....not sure about the curve behind the shed and any car and loco overhang and hitting the rear of the shed.

I have built both of mine full length, because.....while not as visually interesting, its far more functional. the short shed...useless for all but a stainz , otto, rail truck. FRR loco, I imagine (don't know first hand if a stainz will actually fit.)
I have occasionally left locos in the sheds, over night, to protect from the somewhat rare light evening summer rains we get in Denver. As much as to protect from splatter of soil as water. Spiders will eventually take up residence in the shed unless its routinely hosed out and cleaned.

But like others, even though we've had zero issues, I take my things in almost religiously, just because id be so upset if something were taken or vandalized....kids can be brazen.....and....our Mastiffs sleep inside.....

I think I am going to be OK . I haven't got the kit yet but I have the three way point I was waiting for, made a cardboard floor space template, and with a bit of realignment of the track leading up to the area, it seems to be just about OK. Glad I had some bits and pieces of short straights to help eek out some precious mms.

RH Prague

28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
Well this is a bit annoying..(see fotos). As you can see, a loco will not fit through the entrance, either track. Leading up you see the three way point, followed, on the right, by an R1 curve to straighten it out. I thought that this must give the classic spacing that the engine shed would be built for? I suppose the answer is, a small straight insert before the R1 curve, then I can shift the building to the right as you look at it, question is, how long is that insert? Maybe somebody who built this, had the same problem and already knows the answer? Looks very small on first inspection. IMG_4356.jpgIMG_4356.jpg

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Could it be that the shed isn’t designed for Lgb r3 track spacing which is a tiny bit bigger than the r1 track spacing,

If you have a spare r3 point and curve you could try it out,

I think it’s a 41mom straight you need,but it’s worth double checking

Dan

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well this is a bit annoying..(see fotos). As you can see, a loco will not fit through the entrance, either track. Leading up you see the three way point, followed, on the right, by an R1 curve to straighten it out. I thought that this must give the classic spacing that the engine shed would be built for? I suppose the answer is, a small straight insert before the R1 curve, then I can shift the building to the right as you look at it, question is, how long is that insert? Maybe somebody who built this, had the same problem and already knows the answer? Looks very small on first inspection. View attachment 270803View attachment 270803
I would make up an exact small piece if you have some odd lengths of rail or perhaps cut up an old short 1000 piece if you have one.

Looking at an old cat LGB did short lengths at 41,52,75,82 and 150mm plus of course the adjustable 88-120mm one, so very useful for trying things out.

That one you have on the left appears to be either a 75 or 82mm one (3 sleepers).

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
If you have R1/R2 spacing then the centres of the track are 165 mm. You are using a 3WP which is R1.

You may need to space your tracks to 185 mm which is the R3 spacing, so add a short straight between the point and the curve to achieve this....

RH Prague

28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
If you have R1/R2 spacing then the centres of the track are 165 mm. You are using a 3WP which is R1.

You may need to space your tracks to 185 mm which is the R3 spacing, so add a short straight between the point and the curve to achieve this....

Yes, I used the 3-way point because I'm short of space there (it's a land-grab this year:)) and was agonising over whether I could get the full size shed in.

Fortunately I have a 41mm piece. Crossing fingers that it will do the trick

dunnyrail dunnyrail yes on the left that was a deliberate choice so that can run a third siding next to the shed. That one. at least, I seem to have got right.

Monster of a building. Anyone know where the prototype was found? I was suggesting to my sceptical wife that it was nice Hanseatic architecture.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at my German bookzine Lokstation there do not appear to be any Sheds with that configuration of Roof. Most appear to be Gable typed, most with a Gable have either a round window in the middle or some sort of wooden framing, but as always with these things never say never with Railways. One thing I do know though, to my eyes it is too narrow at the sides between the Rails and the Wall compared to every Shed in the Mag, even single track ones. The extra width would be for workbenches and space to get in and out plus for servicing locs etc, so I am sorry to say that it is more of a figment of someone in Pola’s imagination. But a very nice one it has to be said, noting your comments about the size, just as well it is not of prototype width!

Reactions: 1 user

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag

I have an identical shed. The two tracks are R3 spaced. The shed fits my IVKs and Rugens locos with no problems.

RH Prague

28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
Yep the 41 mm piece did the trick. It's exactly what's needed to convert from R1 to R3 spacing. Who knew? What's that? "Everyone but you!" Oh...:blush:

The other small issue I have to wrestle with is that like most of my railway the base there is soft earth. Being a heavy building it sinks in, and the doors can have trouble closing, they get fouled up agains the rails. But I'll sort that. Otherwise, a very impressive new piece of real estate, and so it should be at the price !!

IMG_4369.jpeg

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I tend to put buildings on a concrete base & stick them down, to stop them blowing away.

RH Prague

28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
I tend to put buildings on a concrete base & stick them down, to stop them blowing away.

The winters here are a bit cold for that. I did in the early years but now I bring nearly all of them inside. This one though is big and heavy, but without many "bits" such as drainpipes, so I might wrap it and leave it there..

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
I'm