Points on an incline

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
I ought to be able to work this out by trial and error, but any thoughts would be welcome; should points be laid on the flat part-way up an incline? I’m having trouble with larger locos struggling where they meet a downhill point just before the end of the incline. Should I move the point along to the flat?
If the point were to be half-way up the incline, does it make a difference whether the divergence or convergence is downhill or uphill?
PS I did read a similar thread from 2012 but it seemed a bit brief.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not quite sure I understand the problem, are you saying that the point in someway causes the loco to struggle when it passes over it?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Seeing as how you are going downhill, and round a curve, as you diverge.. I am guessing you get a twisting 'moment' (is that the correct word?), as the curve will not be flat..

I believe it is normal for points on switchback rails to be on the level..?? My 'gut' says points should be on the level.. :nerd::nod::nod:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
As all railway's prefer straight and flat runs, anything different to that can cause problems, even slightly tight bends, so a point on an incline doesn't really bode well.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I have a point on a 1:40 incline, used in both directions. It also has the main line on the curve, the stockyard is off it. The main thing is making sure that the whole thing is level across ways.

Reactions: 1 user

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Everyone seems to agree that level side-to-side, i.e. no superelevation, is vital. I’ll be looking again at the location of the point, as well as checking the point itself, and the ballast may be a bit “soft,” which won’t help. Fortunately if the problem won’t go away, I have the option to relocate the point to a flat area. The problem loco, although I haven’t checked the others, is the prima donna pictured left...

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Everyone seems to agree that level side-to-side, i.e. no superelevation, is vital. I’ll be looking again at the location of the point, as well as checking the point itself, and the ballast may be a bit “soft,” which won’t help. Fortunately if the problem won’t go away, I have the option to relocate the point to a flat area. The problem loco, although I haven’t checked the others, is the prima donna pictured left...

Did you forget something?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
The full point needs to be level but not necessarily flat (as in no grade) including the track either side of it.. Putting the entire unit on a continuous grade should not be a problem unless it is very steep. I have 2 on about 1:50 grades.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

Think he is referring to his 'Avatar' picture??

Does said loco have any suspension, or is it quite rigid?

<edit> Does cowcatcher, err catch? Is it the front pony-truck giving problems??

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag

Right, I understand now.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
"level but not flat" ... confusing/ambiguous...

better: level as in the grade along the rails.... cross-level is the prototype term, and really self-explanatory, for level from rail to rail

ok on grade, cross-level important at all times, more so on grade

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
On a bad day, I forget most things...

“Doctor, I think I’ve got amnesia.”
“When did it start?”
“When did what start?”

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag

The front axle has a bit of 3-dimensional movement, the rear two only sideplay. The bogie has 3-d movement, but you probably wouldn’t describe it as sloppy. The cowcatcher is long with plenty of overhang even on R3 curves and close to the ground so it might conceivably catch on ballast at the spot in question; it certainly does elsewhere where I obviouly haven’t yet flattened down some new grit properly. Unfortunately, geometry and lack of available space conspire to prevent the grade to be reduced, much as I would like to. For practical purposes two Jackson Sharps, with some pickups bent away from the wheels, is the limit at the critical point where the incline includes a reverse curve. No doubt many heads will be shaken at that.

Last edited: