Points causing problems?

Dylanlewis2000

Registered
17 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Ok, so i have a test layout and am running my newly converted LCE and Track cleaning loco, however i am having a problem whereby when i add a set of points in to the setup the Dynamis says its shorting. I have no idea how as the track looks ok, and the other day i had a set of points in the setup...

Any suggestions?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
If you have more than one set of points swap the suspect set for another. If that fixes the problem there is most likely a wiring fault under the point. If not please post a track plan as certain track permutations may cause shorts.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Are you using the points in a return loop?

This is one of the configurations that Neil is refering to.

A track plan is required to confirm this.

Are you able to check the points with a multimeter, in case they are at fault?

Dylanlewis2000

Registered
17 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Ok well, after a little bit of playing i think i have two dogey points. Each time i put one or both in to my setup it causes a short... I have got another two and they seem to be working for now... oh well :( two duds, i suppose they have been sitting around for a few years doing nothing.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Dylanlewis2000 said:
Ok well, after a little bit of playing i think i have two dogey points. Each time i put one or both in to my setup it causes a short... I have got another two and they seem to be working for now... oh well :( two duds, i suppose they have been sitting around for a few years doing nothing.
Have a look underneath and check if the 2 power strips that cross under by the frog are not touching together. Sliding a piece of plastic between these strips will resolve this problem, should it be the case....