Playmobil Turntable

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Automation and RC do not fit overly well..

Using RC to send commands via a proprietary system can be done, but not normally route selection.

Buffer stop. Shuttle, and Station stop, are available.

PhilP

Polarblair

Registered
25 Aug 2023
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Automation and RC do not fit overly well..

Using RC to send commands via a proprietary system can be done, but not normally route selection.

Buffer stop. Shuttle, and Station stop, are available.

PhilP
I was hoping that would be the case. So for the time being automation is probably a step too far which would keep things simpler. Ball spring plunger and detent indexing might be the way to go as an off the shelf solution.

Screenshot_20230913_191031_com.ebay.mobile_edit_14433606168630.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Controlling a turntable with a stepper motor and an Arduino based system is fairly easy to do. An example from DCC-EX:

Overview — DCC-EX Model Railroading documentation

Interfacing this with some sort of RC controller would also be fairly trivial.

There are a number of DIY turntable projects out there, most of them use stepper motors (same as you find on a 3D printer).

Model Electronics Railway Group do a turntable controlller kit which is around £16+P&P

That would also be fairly easy to automate with RC, either using a RC setup or Arduino.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I was hoping that would be the case. So for the time being automation is probably a step too far which would keep things simpler. Ball spring plunger and detent indexing might be the way to go as an off the shelf solution.

View attachment 318567

They look like an excellent solution. Especially in keeping with the KISS method, which I subscribe to. I'll have to do a search for tiny versions of these, for use on my "O" gauge sector plate.

Or, maybe delve into some sort of tiny infra-red devices. Maybe even tiny magnets that would help align the tracks with a bit more preciseness than doing it by eye.

An early video of my sector plate;

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
If you do go down the infrared route, I have some spare, unused sensors that need a home.

Polarblair

Registered
25 Aug 2023
UK
Best answers
Country flag
They look like an excellent solution. Especially in keeping with the KISS method, which I subscribe to. I'll have to do a search for tiny versions of these, for use on my "O" gauge sector plate.

Or, maybe delve into some sort of tiny infra-red devices. Maybe even tiny magnets that would help align the tracks with a bit more preciseness than doing it by eye.

An early video of my sector plate;

That looks properly smart! Not sure why I didn't jump to magnets first to be honest as I've used small neodymium magnets in lots of projects. Only downside to them is that they like to be oriented correctly on their axis or you substantially reduce their effectiveness.

I used a bunch on a sliding lid that I wanted to have two open positions but didn't think of the orientation. Glued all the magnets in and only realised after. Kind of still worked but not nearly as well.

Polarblair

Registered
25 Aug 2023
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Controlling a turntable with a stepper motor and an Arduino based system is fairly easy to do. An example from DCC-EX:

Overview — DCC-EX Model Railroading documentation

Interfacing this with some sort of RC controller would also be fairly trivial.

There are a number of DIY turntable projects out there, most of them use stepper motors (same as you find on a 3D printer).

Model Electronics Railway Group do a turntable controlller kit which is around £16+P&P

That would also be fairly easy to automate with RC, either using a RC setup or Arduino.
Now that MERG kit looks just the ticket. Has anyone got a purchace link for 79C? I believe that's the version of the turntable kit that comes with the switches and just needs the stepper motor purchased separately.

Or is it that you need to be a MERG member to purchase kits?

I don't think that's right as WM collectibles seem to sell quite a few MERG kits:

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Now that MERG kit looks just the ticket. Has anyone got a purchace link for 79C? I believe that's the version of the turntable kit that comes with the switches and just needs the stepper motor purchased separately.

Or is it that you need to be a MERG member to purchase kits?

I don't think that's right as WM collectibles seem to sell quite a few MERG kits:

No problems.

You will need to be a MERG member to purchase - or as you have found, someone who resells MERG kits.

I would recommend becoming a MERG member as you will have access to all of the information and support - plus there is a revised PCB design and firmware.

The way MERG works - if you buy a kit from them you will get support, if you buy from a reseller you will have to seek support through the seller.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Just did a search for MERG. Looks like an excellent site for a non-electronic-believer, myself being one. I was able to download Davy Dick's book. From what I have seen so far, it appears to be written so that people like me can gain an understanding of basic electronics and their practical use in our railways.

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Just did a search for MERG. Looks like an excellent site for a non-electronic-believer, myself being one. I was able to download Davy Dick's book. From what I have seen so far, it appears to be written so that people like me can gain an understanding of basic electronics and their practical use in our railways.

That's the idea :)

I joined around 2 years ago and have found it mostly very helpful.

Polarblair

Registered
25 Aug 2023
UK
Best answers
Country flag
It
That's the idea :)

I joined around 2 years ago and have found it mostly very helpful.
I'm fully tapped out this month under strict instructions from she who must be obeyed not to spend another penny but I'll look at it next month. Definitely sounds like a fantastic resource.

Polarblair

Registered
25 Aug 2023
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I need to find someone who has printed in wood - infused PLA, and has a scrap print kicking about..

I know very little about the material, except it supposedly biodegrade, and might be prone to warping.. - I want to see how it takes an internal thread, and then leave it out on the patio.

Get a first-hand idea of durability.

PhilP
Phil is going to do us all a favour by testing out some track outdoors over winter. The two contenders are both a single track section, with wood filament crossing duckboards, one printed in ASA, and the other with PLA. Thinking about it now tough PLA would have made more sense but it will be interesting to see how well regular PLA holds up.

Polarblair

Registered
25 Aug 2023
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I like the idea of a basic version which can be added to (with space for a motor etc.), and an upgrade kit to add more detail to the original. Though it's probably too big for my printer.

If there are any of those playmobil-to-lgb adapters available for 3d printing, I haven't found any free ones, if any at all.
We need remakes of playmobil 7562 (the 4 pieces on the left) ideally by playmobil themselves:
7562.jpg

The originals might have been too rare for people to have thought of reproducing them for 3d printers.
Is this by chance what you're looking for??
Ok, I'll admit it took longer than 5mins :D

Screenshot_20230921_210623_com.ebay.mobile_edit_36582608358479.jpg

I married the old and new versions of the 7562 adapter together as the compact version negated the need for removing a sleeper, but didn't have a means of locking the tracks together from what I could see.

The 7562-A is printed in ASA, lets you lock to both the brass and plastic track and has two countersunk M3 screw holes.

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
Is this by chance what you're looking for??
Ok, I'll admit it took longer than 5mins :D

View attachment 318840

I married the old and new versions of the 7562 adapter together as the compact version negated the need for removing a sleeper, but didn't have a means of locking the tracks together from what I could see.

The 7562-A is printed in ASA, lets you lock to both the brass and plastic track and has two countersunk M3 screw holes.
It may be. The instruction sheet is a nice touch. I only have a resin printer so I wouldn't know if I could really use it without testing it.

Polarblair

Registered
25 Aug 2023
UK
Best answers
Country flag
It may be. The instruction sheet is a nice touch. I only have a resin printer so I wouldn't know if I could really use it without testing it.
I've made several now and they're working great!

IMG_20230920_115259.jpgIMG_20230920_115313.jpgIMG_20230920_115305.jpgIMG_20230920_115506.jpg

Had my very first customer ever too which is nice. Looking forward to getting some user feedback. :p