Piko V 60

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I've had my eye on the Piko V60 since it came out at the end of last year. I called into Back2Bay6 this morning and Steve offered us such a good deal that the wife bought it me for my birthday ............. even if that's not til May!! :clap:

b405488b32f042868b8bbb591890a09e.jpg

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
On first glance this is one serious piece of kit. The 6 wheels are very cleverly articulated even though they've got connecting rods. The front 2 axles run through a standard type motor block with a pair of pick-up skates, and the rear axle has it's own articulated "bogey" with yet another pair of skates drive being passed from the motor block to the rear axle by an internal drive shafts ......... therefore, the outside connecting rods are cosmetic.

There's PLENTY of weight and with all those pick-ups (and the wheels), electrical pick-up is no problem. In fact, as I had some doubts about some of the clearances on the WGLR, I gave it a quick run on absolutely filthy track when I got it home and it coped without any probs at all.

0311045632ef46d780e3cfe044b0a7bc.jpg

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
There is a lot of overhang and I will have to make the odd little tweak here and there on the WGLR (all curves are R1), but generally it's not as bad as my Piko railbus and is much better than Piko's 318 - which won't go around my railway (will it Steve?:D).

Standard gauge buffers are fitted (I'll be fitting the centre buffers which are supplied), but these don't add to the overhang - the handrails are the problem in that area - see pics.

d9efd4d3e57f486d81431be3d4207bde.jpg

edit - forgot pic.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice it looks to Mel:clap:

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Stainzmeister said:
I saw it on Steve's stand a few weeks ago, and it certainly looks a well detailed model.

Are you going to change to a single centre buffer to suit your narrow gauge line Mel ?

Yes mate. It certainly is a great model. I'll post some more when I've had chance to give it a proper run. One slight concern I've got is how it will get on hauling stock. The couplings stick out a hell of a long way from the leading wheels. ..........

.......... we'll see.

1ea4c472f9ef4aae9cf42cd22e3b94e3.jpg

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Mel in the pictures it looks like it's been outside for a few years! is that the Camera or is the paint really that dull? Dont get me wrong though I think it looks superb like that!! and although it's a big loco it seems to fit your street scenes a treat............Paul.........

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
minimans said:
Mel in the pictures it looks like it's been outside for a few years! is that the Camera or is the paint really that dull? Dont get me wrong though I think it looks superb like that!! and although it's a big loco it seems to fit your street scenes a treat............Paul.........

Yes mate it has got quite a matt finish, certainly not shiney shiney - which suits me:D.

The gold pin stripes do add a certain classiness in the flesh though. The wife likes it - which is usually a positive sign:clap:. I'm not usually that keen on red wheels, but these look really good in combination with the dark red clour scheme. Piko seem to have got their connecting rods looking a lot better than their early efforts too.

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Looks Brilliant Mel , drop it up here and i will give it some testing for you :holdon:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice loco Mel. :clap:

I'd be interested to see how it looks next to an LGB V52?

Minimate, the wine red paint work replicates the real loco fairly well, judging by photos I've seen of the real machine. They were a work-horse loco and were rarely seen in a shiny condition.

The centre cab style reminds me of the Sentinel Diesel shunter that can sometimes be seen working Felixstowe docks....

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Gizzy said:
I'd be interested to see how it looks next to an LGB V52?

I thought that too Giz. I'll see what I can do.

The V60 would look great on your railway IMO mate ;).

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Very nice indeed Mel. I think it needs a trip to Ruritania for some serious "testing".... :D

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
whatlep said:
Very nice indeed Mel. I think it needs a trip to Ruritania for some serious "testing".... :D

Ooooooohhh yus!

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
looks great mell , a nice compaion for a v200 me thinks.. both stander gauge, they should complent each other, and not just sizes wizes, but the piant jobs simmilair:clap:

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Well, Mel I'm green with envy, I've had my eye on one of those with the intention of painting it BR green. Cant wait to see your new toy in the flesh, esp with your newly kitted out caboose. I'd lie to see it next to PIKO 218 too.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Not painted it yet Mel?:holdon:

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Mel,

would like to see it with the new buffer beam fitted!

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
hornbeam said:
Mel,

would like to see it with the new buffer beam fitted!

Your wish is my command sir :D:D

Found time between showers to do more testing this afternoon. The V60 gets better with every lap of the railway, as you would expect with a Piko loco as the black coating wears off the wheel treads.

This "action shot" shows the LED lamps working.

b03b2c7d1f7844aba216f827b5b7beeb.jpg