PIKO TEE Set

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
I've not got one Gizzy. but seen one 'in the flesh'. As you thought, much better than the ICE set. I'm led to believe they're 1/26 scale. I've got a couple of their mainline Alex coaches which are huge lengthwise but the other dimensions appear a little smaller compared to the short LGB coaches I have. Not compared ICE stock to Piko but can do if you'd like to see some comparisons.
Mike.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I am reliably informed that the coaches are 650 mm long. What I really would like to know is how these trains look on an R1 curve?

I owned a 'Frying Hamburger' for a short while (which was based on the LGB ICE mechanicals), but the coaches were so long, and looked odd on my R1 curves that I sold it on.

ff7b1657f0f248099f06ac754a77ff0d.jpg

I believe it was converted to a HST....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Gizzy,

I've got one plus a couple of add-on coaches. Being standard gauge they are around 1:29 and match other such stock produced by Piko.....and the LGB standard gauge stuff. Don't have a picture with both stock in the same picture but do have pictures of other Piko and LGB stock running over the same bridge:

DB-TEE-01.jpg

DB-TEE-03.jpg

DR-Ludmilla-13.jpg

DB-V200-11.jpg

Being a DCC railway the TEE has sound with speakers in each of the power cars which sounds really fantastic as the unit powers past you - Stockers can vouch for that.

Reactions: 1 users

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great Keith!

The one I'm interested in also had DCC sound in each power car. I'm told PIKO shortened the coaches for this train, which isn't an issue for myself. It's a compromise I can accept if it looks okay on R1 curves and fits in size wise with LGB Metre Gauge stock....

Last edited:

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy,

Reading your post that was posted as I was writing my response, for sentimental reasons, I do have a couple of R1 curves on my layout.

Can't do it today (as am busy mixing concrete and mortar) but later this week I'll give the TEE a run and see how it looks on the R1s.

Being articulated the actual coaches are shorter than standard main line coaches so that would help how they look on R1 curves.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I have seen one running at an exhibition and was very impressed, although I cannot comment on the curve issue, although the table it was on didn't seem enormously wide.

The sound was certainly impressive and there were also station announcements (in German) and other background sounds and, if I remember correctly, exhaust smoke.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
It is a great unit. As Keith alluded to, the sound is in both power cars and you get a double burst of engine noise as each passes you - impressive. I am sure it'll do R1s Gizzy but it is a bit long.

Reactions: 1 user

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
It is a great unit. As Keith alluded to, the sound is in both power cars and you get a double burst of engine noise as each passes you - impressive. I am sure it'll do R1s Gizzy but it is a bit long.

I certainly agree with the last part of the final sentence, but I'm sure you'd love having one.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Oh b****r the R1s - go and buy one Giz, it looks a cracker, and you've got a long garden :clap::clap::clap:

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
'course it'll go round. THIS is silly -
P1040863a.jpg P1040862a.jpg P1040861a.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Eacch!
That looks as bad as getting a Mk1 coach round the curve at the bottom of Foxfield! :eek:

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Just close your eyes when it's on a curve and look only on the straight bit's! It does look lovely though, I had a full train in N scale many years ago and that looked silly on the small radius too.....................

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Just close your eyes when it's on a curve and look only on the straight bit's! It does look lovely though, I had a full train in N scale many years ago and that looked silly on the small radius too.....................

A chum of mine has one. He brought it to run on GCR which at that time had R2 curves. It took these well.

The electrical connections between coaches are via the couplings and very neat.

The only issue had was making work with isolating sections on the DC automated block, as it picks up from six? Wheels on each power car - to get round this we removed bus-bars from the tail end motor car and disconnected another power feed from the unpowered bogie - all easily reversible.

I would love one. It is a beautifully made thing of great quality - makes the LGB ice look like something cheap from a corner shop!

PS: I have an LGB ICE!

James

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Oh b****r the R1s - go and buy one Giz, it looks a cracker, and you've got a long garden :clap::clap::clap:
I might compromise and restrict it to the outer R2 loop on the proposed phase 3 continuous circuit....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
A chum of mine has one. He brought it to run on GCR which at that time had R2 curves. It took these well.

The electrical connections between coaches are via the couplings and very neat.

The only issue had was making work with isolating sections on the DC automated block, as it picks up from six? Wheels on each power car - to get round this we removed bus-bars from the tail end motor car and disconnected another power feed from the unpowered bogie - all easily reversible.

I would love one. It is a beautifully made thing of great quality - makes the LGB ice look like something cheap from a corner shop!

PS: I have an LGB ICE!

James
Very useful information thanks James?

I'm on DCC (as will be the train itself) so DC auto block working isn't a requirement on my line.

I will be having an R2 continuous outer loop as mentioned, so some really good gen there!

And your comment about the quality is most helpful too.

I can feel an early birthday pressie coming on....

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy,

After overnight rain is been sunny down here today so decided to get the TEE currently parked in the running shed out on the line:

TEE-Comparison-01.jpg

....but first of all had to move the Allegra which was blocking the way.... but it does give you some idea of the comparative size of the models:

TEE-Comparison-02.jpg

The Allegra was backed out of the Running Shed and parked in the station area:

TEE-Comparison-03.jpg

...and shortly followed by the TEE:

TEE-Comparison-04.jpg

The back of the power car is sitting an R1 point whilst the passenger car is on a couple of R1s with the rest of the train negotiating an R3 point and curves.

Same view but from a different angle:

TEE-Comparison-06.jpg

.... and face-on for size comparison:

TEE-Comparison-05.jpg

.....and, lastly, side on:

TEE-Comparison-07.jpg

Gizzy, now you've seen the pics get out and buy one!! I'm even contemplating an extra passenger car or two to lengthen the train...need to do some testing to see if an extended unit would make it up my gradients.......

Reactions: 4 users