dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
In my latest copy io Garden Rail there is a product release advice (Fall Issue 19) of an on board Battery System from Piko. Ref 35040 with reciever and pocket remote at USD 99.99. Are also listed on Gaugemaster Website at Pound Sterling 70. Sounds much like the system in the eagerly awaited RC 25 Tonner. With a Voltage of 7-22 this may be one to keep an eye on for those that are looking to dip the toes in Battery RC.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
They are also introducing a trackside mains transformer powered version using the same remote. This may, in some circumstances, prove a suitable but lower powered replacement for the old Aristo/Crest train engineer.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Just reading the latest Gaugemaster Mail, looks like the Piko 25 Tonner Battery / Track Power Locs are now shipping.
Link to the details:-

Gaugemaster Price £350 but I am sure better value options will be available, TopSlots being a good culprit in the Blackpool Area. Interestingly 10 RC Channels are quoted so who will be the first to have 10 all separately controlled? Sounds like a great recipe for a Train Crash!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A little bit more info on the Piko RC setup. Looks like they have covered all angles though I think the separate RC Reciever for Battery Locomotives is a little big but may be ok for many setups.
6D81F3B8-307A-4A18-96E2-5BD1B81531F8.jpeg

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
A little bit more info on the Piko RC setup. Looks like they have covered all angles though I think the separate RC Reciever for Battery Locomotives is a little big but may be ok for many setups.

For the record the 35028 set is listed by Piko of America and includes a 120V mains transformer.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
So, looking at the European offering, you need:

35008 r/c controller €110
35041 transmitter €30
35005 transformer €76

As I read it, the transformer this side of the pond, is a lower specification?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
So, looking at the European offering, you need:

35008 r/c controller €110
35041 transmitter €30
35005 transformer €76

As I read it, the transformer this side of the pond, is a lower specification?

That's also as I read it. What's puzzling me is that the 35008 is the same with a 22V 5A rating but the recommended European 35005 transformer is only rated at 32VA. I'm no electrical or mathematical genius but that doesn't make sense to me. Shirley the 35000 transformer rated at 100 VA would be a better choice.
I note the 35040 Loco Receiver, 5A, w/Pocket Remote is listed as out of stock on Piko's German site with no indication of the future availability. I hope it's a case of demand exceeding supply rather than teething troubles.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I hope it's a case of demand exceeding supply rather than teething troubles.

Possibly, they can't find the Chinese Gentleman, they bought them from on evilBay? ;):giggle:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Having downloaded and reviewed the documentation, it seems quite promising, and with top slots n trains selling it at £55.00 could be cost effective. Yatton engineering are pursuing a similar key fob remote, but prices start at £75.00 and something of this rating over £100.00

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have been thinking some more about this and as the rating for the R/C Loco Receiver is Fixed DC Supply 7-22V and 3.5 Amp, this ought to be a good starting point for a Modest Track Powered Layout, say no double engines or not lots of locomotives running at once. Plus with the 2 relay-type outputs would it work something like a My Loco Sound Unit by the Track for say just a couple of the sounds only? Pause for thought and sensible conclusions please.

At the price of under £100 GBP it may well be a good starting point for track power. Anyone tried it for this yet?

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I have been thinking some more about this and as the rating for the R/C Loco Receiver is Fixed DC Supply 7-22V and 3.5 Amp, this ought to be a good starting point for a Modest Track Powered Layout, say no double engines or not lots of locomotives running at once. Plus with the 2 relay-type outputs would it work something like a My Loco Sound Unit by the Track for say just a couple of the sounds only? Pause for thought and sensible conclusions please.

At the price of under £100 GBP it may well be a good starting point for track power. Anyone tried it for this yet?
We, at MyLocoSound, have had a PIKO radio control on order for 3 months for testing. We are 90% sure that the wiring diagram below, which uses two SPST relays to trigger two sounds, will work. The remaining sounds such as safety valve, injectors, bell, brake pump, etc can be set to operate automatically.

If anyone has tried it could they please let us know.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Wiring diagram - Piko 2.jpg

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Very interesting...if after testing, and successful outcome; it could be a great control system to replace track power on a true operating railway. If anybody can bear the lack of sound (Noise), the full price, and the convenience of the small hand held throttle, could be a real winner.
Some feel that sound is a "Must have", but there are some who just want a plain, dependable, control for each of our Battery powered locomotives. This might be it.
One of the guys here is looking to purchase one, besides the one equipped to his track cleaning locomotive.

philg

Registered
28 Nov 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I bought the Piko 35008/35041 combination at the end of last year with a view to replacing my 20 year old Train Engineer. With the lockdown and the fine spring weather, I've now been using it for a few weeks on my track powered railway. It's wired so that I can swap back to the TE easily for comparison.
First impressions are that the unit is light and less well built than the TE, however there have been no problems so far. The remote looks like a car remote and has only four buttons. Setting up was a doddle ; it worked straight out of the box with no pairing required. I am powering it from a 19V 6A power supply removed from a scientific instrument and this has worked fine. The unit will not output a higher voltage than the input. (tried at 9V 13V and 19V). In use it has given no trouble so far. Although of a lower current rating than the TE it is able to power my LGB track cleaning locomotive and my LGB-derived twin motor Mallet. I have noticed however that trying to accelerate too fast with the Mallet on a heavy train causes a sudden stop ; I assume that this is an internal cutout. The acceleration is perhaps not quite as smooth as the TE, but the range of the remote appears similar with the receiver positioned in the garage. I have left the Mallet running for 30 minutes or so continuously ; the receiver gets slightly warm but no more. It would be easy to attach it to a heatsink but I see no need to do that.
I'm very pleased with it so far, especially for the price. It remains to be seen how robust it is but I see no reason to doubt its longevity.
The R/C battery power system looks interesting too ; I have been thinking about a battery powered station pilot so this looks like a viable product to investigate.

Michael

Registered
26 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good! Ticks all the boxes, especially the 22 volts and 3.5 amps continous motor current, if that is indeed accurate. Beats the pants off Deltang. Love the pocket remote, sometimes simple is best, especially as going forwards or backwards is the main function of a loco.