Piko Passenger/Combine Question

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I just received a Piko combine. One of the baggage compartment doors was floating around inside the car. Is there a secret code to get the roof off ? Or is it the floor that comes off ?

IMG_5934.jpeg

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
There's a latch/clip located near the second window from the right.

So in your case, try pushing between the last and second to last window, close to where the T and H are. That should pop it off on one side, and then the other side should be easy.

You can see the location in the manual: https://largescaletraindatabase.s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/pdf/piko_g/manual/38601_m.pdf

Hm, easier said than done. I found the tabs you mentioned. Following your description I was able to slightly disengage one side by only an eight inch, but the ends don't want to separate.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I've reached my wits end. There is no way the roof is coming off this car without destroying it.....:banghead::swear:

kim

retired at last
27 Apr 2015
Cleveleys
Best answers
Country flag
These roofs are a nightmare, on the bright side yours doesn't have marker lights, chances are the wires feeding them would be damaged. Don't ask me how I know!!
As you can see in the pics the roof seperates below the marker board and the small wedges are used in my ho diesels to aid body seperation. I bought the wedges off e-bay but you can inprovise.
Even though the seperation is below the marker board you need to start above the board above the O and U with a thin blade driver to allow the insertion of a wedge, then work towards the cupola inserting more wedges. The cupola seating is fixed to the main body of the caboose. You should by now be able to work the roof loose on the side you have been working and you can insert the door into place, with both doors at the rear of the caboose insert a piece of flexible plastic or foam between the doors to keep them in place and snap the roof back on.
Thinking about it you could try wedges behind the marker board pushed up from the caboose side.
Don't forget to take the roof a cess ladders off at each end!!
Just add that I used a drovers caboose instead of a combine because my G stuff is all packed away at the moment and this was easy to get at, same principle on the roof.
P_20220730_161815.jpgP_20220730_161847.jpg

Last edited:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, Kim. I'll give it another try.