Piko DCC

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Well, it arrived this morning. Very easy even for a novice to work the basic functions. Second opinion, Piko Navigator, while it may have the software, does not have the hardware of the Massoth unit. I was aware only the display screen and stop buttons were illuminated, but the Piko rotary dial does not have the sophistication of the Massoth. The Piko rotary dial is just a lump of red plastic, not the illuminated dial with next setting loco speed indication of the Massoth Navigator.

Thirdly, the dual purpose receiver (analogue/digital) has changed from initial factory photographs. In an attempt at waterproofing, the box does not have direct openings for the analogue or bus connectors. The box top cover must be removed and the appropriate cable fitted (digital bus or analogue cable). The top cover is then refitted to seal the box. A warning states not to connect both analogue and digital cables at the same time. I assume they mean do not attach power to both leads at the same time, i.e., central station and analogue controller operating simultaneously. My first thought was that a second receiver dedicated to analogue use would be needed, unless one connected both leads to the receiver and only used onesource at a time.

The operation was very smooth and wireless ops faultless. I did not try range as yet as I was only trying a short test track. My opinion based on my total lack of DCC knowledge is that it does the job for me. I am only after basic operation, but it has consisting, route selection and two locomotive driving control simultaneously using both the rotary dials and the the left/centre and right buttons below the rotary dial. One can control a loco and switch routes simultaneously if one is very adept.

It has its limitations but then it was a fraction of the cost of the Massoth. I feel it is designed for the newcomer who is looking at the LGB MTS but wants a better hand control and more updated digital features without the MTS limitations. Definately not in the league of the Massoth, but for me it does the job that I expected and at an affordable price level. I am not being negative, but then I did not buy a Volkswagen thinking I was getting a Buggati Veyron.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Very interesting first review, Tim - will look forward to updates as you get more use from your system and get to know it.

It sounds, from your description, like the best overall mix would be the Piko central station, given it's frankly amazingly low price for what it does, plus a Massoth Navigator rather than the lesser-featured Piko one. If they really are as interchangeable as folks have been saying, and given that the price difference (at least here) is no more than £10, I think that's what I'd go for.

Please keep us informed of how it's going!

Jon.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Jon,
I went with the Piko Navigator to use the wireless function with the Piko analogue 5 amp controller. The only proviso that I know with commonality is that the Piko receiver needs the Piko Navigator for analogue operation. The Massoth Navigator with the Piko central station would most likely be a good combination. I do not know if the Piko central station has the ability to use the Massoth Navigator second loco speed detecting function (illuminating loco speed setting on the rotary speed dial). Of cause that software may be in the Navigator and not reliant on the base station.

I do like the Piko system. I was operating a loco within seconds of connecting power. My DCC experience prior to today has been absolutely zero and yet I had a loco running within seconds. There are a few functions that I mistakenly enter and wish for a cancel or reset button to get back to the main display.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Tim Brien said:
Jon,
I went with the Piko Navigator to use the wireless function with the Piko analogue 5 amp controller. The only proviso that I know with commonality is that the Piko receiver needs the Piko Navigator for analogue operation. The Massoth Navigator with the Piko central station would most likely be a good combination. I do not know if the Piko central station has the ability to use the Massoth Navigator second loco speed detecting function (illuminating loco speed setting on the rotary speed dial). Of cause that software may be in the Navigator and not reliant on the base station.

I do like the Piko system. I was operating a loco within seconds of connecting power. My DCC experience prior to today has been absolutely zero and yet I had a loco running within seconds. There are a few functions that I mistakenly enter and wish for a cancel or reset button to get back to the main display.

The Massoth Navigator and Piko Navigator should have the same firmware. So I expect limitations are due to the ommission of cirtain bits of hardware in the Piko version.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Mark,
that certainly seems the case. I would like to see a Massoth Navigator to judge the quality of the Piko unit. To me it seems like a remote that one gets with a television set. I felt it was lacking a little in quality (battery access panel seems fragile). That being said, I am more than pleased with my decision to go with Piko. As yet I need to test out the analogue controller and wireless operation.

I did a rough test for range and at around 80 feet no reception issue even through walls. I doubt I will be able to test the 300 feet, let alone 1000 feet stated range. I have confidence in the wireless operation, unlike my previous analogue wireless control system.

ChipG

Registered
13 Sep 2010
Santa Barbara, California, USA
Best answers
Tim:
Thanks much for the review. As a Massoth user, glad to know the Piko Navigator's "in's and out's".
Chip

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
I must thank James Shourt of Shourtline in California for excellent service and follow up on several questions relating to my DCC purchase. A totally splendid transaction.