PIKO BR80- Which Massoth Decoder

Simon Potter

Srpott40
14 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Evening All,

Does anybody have any ideas which would be the most suitable DCC chip to place in this Loco. I have recently purchased the Loco, and it is a very good runner on DC, but as i run a DCC system, i want to install a chip. Just before i go out to buy a chip can anybody advise what would be the most suitable massoth on to purchase. Not bothered about installing sound and ideally just want the cheapest one, for this 'everyday' run about loco . (Or am i better sticking to a Piko chip at around £100). I run a Massoth system with an outdoor layout.

Thanks in advance

Simon

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I would have thought an LGB 55021 second hand would fit the bill and should come in around 30-40 quid. Not full of nice features but would certainly be adequate and will work the lighting as well if you are up to working it all out.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
You can get the new PIKO one 31624 from topslots'n'trains for £87.
Piko 36124 SmartDecoder 4-1 for BR80 G Scale 36121 - TopSlots n Trains
The old PIKO one 31621 used to be very expensive rebadged Massoth XL, which you can get for £60. Now they use Uhlenbrock/Dietz I think. If you can download the old instructions for the PIKO one it will tell you which wire goes where on the XL.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I used an eMOTION LS but you should be ok with a eMOTION L or XL if you dont want sound. The L (and LS) will be a little more involved as it (they) do not have screw terminals.