Piko 5 amp analogue controller

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
While relatively happy with the recently purchased Piko DCC system, but only used sparingly, the analogue controller is another issue. Several days ago I opened the package to actually test the system. First impression. When initially applying power, the controller sends a full voltage power spike (23 volts) to the rails. Any locomotive on the rails will take off like a jackrabbit for a metre or so. Hardly good for the locomotive drive. If power is turned off and then reinstated several minutes later, the spike is not present. It seems the controller needs to be unpowered for more than a couple of minutes to initiate the 'power up' spike. This is both with or without the Navigator handpiece installed.

Secondly, there is an anomaly with using the Piko Navigator with the analogue controller. If the system is initially powered up with the Navigator turned off then the Navigator is unable to find the radio signal and reports back that R/C is inoperative. It is obvious that the receiver is on standby as the power indicator light is flashing. I have found that when using the Navigator for the initial power up of the controller, then the Navigator is required to be turned on. It will then report that R/C is disabled. The controller is then powered up, thus powering the receiver (make sure no locomotives on the rails as full power spike sent to rails). The Navigator is then turned off and then turned back on. The Navigator now 'sees' the R/C signal and is ready to transmit.

Based on my findings with the system that I purchased I would look to other brandname systems. I have never seen a system that power spikes the rails when powering up. This requires the operator to basically ensure no locomotives on the rails (not practical) or to isolate any locomotive on the rails when powering up initially (also hardly practical). The system is unlike any other analogue controller that I have ever used and does put a sour taste in my mouth as it is likely faulty but then there are no feedback reports from other users to enable me to determine the staus of my unit or if this is 'normal'. My advice - look elsewhere!!!!!

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Not what you should have to do but you could fit a switch between the power supply and the track. A simple DPDT switch would do it but why should you have too......

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
I'll check mine if the weather is permitting it tomorrow. Didn't have that problem so far...

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Tim: If the controller acted in this manner more than once, I would seriously consider sending it out for repair or replacement. You should not have to clear your layout, before turning the power on.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
After a little troubleshooting I found that to lessen the spike, I have to disconnect the transformer, prior to powering up. Basically, when switching on, the controller needs to be isolated from the transformer. The transformer is then powered up and then the power supply lead connected to the controller input. This is when using the controller in non-remote mode. I feel that there is an issue with the circuitry enabling the controller to accept remote Navigator input. I do not think Piko thought this out fully.
Further to above, I noticed for a given speed step setting on the Navigator display, a loco was significantly slower in forward than in reverse direction. Thinking it was the loco, I investigated a binding issue to no avail. OK, next step megger the output with a volt meter (note this is DC not DCC output). When in analogue non-remote mode (no Navigator), power output 23 volts in both directions. With remote (Navigator) control, max output is 22.5 volts in reverse and 18.9 in fwd direction. Also, when matching volt output per speed step, fwd direction is 2 volts lower per designated step when compared to same speed step setting on reverse direction. Seems it is not just the controller that is a piece of the proverbial!!! Step '1' in fwd is 0.56 volts as compared to almost 3 volts in reverse selection for speed step '1'. It least it explains why the loco ran more smoothly in reverse than forward, it was getting nearly 3 volts more at min speed.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I think that this needs to be discussed with Piko & Massoth.

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Mark:
Getting Piko to respond does not seem to be in the cards at this time. I have read a number of posts on this forum and on mylargescale.com indicating that piko is ignoring customer complaints, even in a case where a dealer intervened on behaf of the customer. As to Massoth, I seriously doubt they are, or should be, willing discuss any issues relating to a Piko product, technically it is not their problem.
I think Tim needs to find out somehow whether his experiences with the Piko system are unique or common. I wonder if someone can translate the review that appeared in Gartenbahn profi and see if that can shed some light.