PIKO 37220

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Finger slipped on eBay last night (again!) and have acquired an analogue BR24 with smoke and lights only. I've got a spare LGB 65000 sound unit which can go in it. Anyone suggest an appropriate decoder for this loco? I've got a selection of older LGB ones in the garage somewhere and being a tight old git don't want to spend unnecessarily if I've already got something that will do the job. If you've done one of these and there are some pitfalls I would appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Finger slipped on eBay last night (again!) and have acquired an analogue BR24 with smoke and lights only. I've got a spare LGB 65000 sound unit which can go in it. Anyone suggest an appropriate decoder for this loco? I've got a selection of older LGB ones in the garage somewhere and being a tight old git don't want to spend unnecessarily if I've already got something that will do the job. If you've done one of these and there are some pitfalls I would appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

Well, for what it's worth, Mike, I put an XLS in mine and it works a treat. I know that you mention you've already got a sound unit to go in it, so just an XL would do the job for you. My XLS fitted neatly into the decoder space allocated within the tender, and though it's a slightly different shape from the Piko one that the space is designed for it was still quite an easy fit. Of course the plug'n'play wiring has to be rejigged a bit if you're not using Piko's own decoder (which I THINK is a badge-engineered Uhlenbrock, though I'm not 100% sure on that?) but once I'd figured that out everything connected OK to the XLS.

Jon.