Piko 35013 decoder programming?

J

john493

Registered
19 Jul 2014
somewhere
Has anybody successfully programmed ne of these things? I bought one, even though they're eye-wateringly expensive, because they are reasonably weather proof (for California). But I can't for the life of me get it to change its addresses with my NCE controller. I've tried with/without the programming track, with/without the programming link. The LED flashes when I try to rewrite the CVs, but the addresses haven't changed. I follow the procedure in the (poor) manual, and also what their youtube video says. But with no success. Maybe I'm missing some vital step (oh, I did set CV2=77 as well) or maybe the thing is just fundamentally broken.

Fortunately the Digitrax DS64 works well, and is half the price, but it does need to go into a box for even modest weather protection.

Incidentally I also have a Massoth decoder, and I could never get that to program either. I have a couple of ancient LGB decoders which were a pain to program, but it could be done. But one of them died, hence the need for a replacement.

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
I put my ds64's in inexpensive outdoor boxes, the gray ones used as conduit junction boxes.

I would guess the Piko controller is Massoth, is there a massoth product with the same appearance?

Also I have found that many european switch/function decoders need the programming track disconnected momentarily after programming each CV.

Also what mode are you using to program, remember your NCE has multiple modes, besides direct mode, perhaps you need paged, this is in the NCE manual.

Greg

J

john493

Registered
19 Jul 2014
somewhere
I'll try the disconnecting the programming track trick, see if that works. But it's on ebay now, let's hope someone with an all-Piko system has a need for it!

It's my understanding that the Piko is actually an Uhlenbrock. It certainly looks different (board layout etc) from the Massoth.

Hadn't thought of using the conduit boxes, I've been using "proper" outdoor boxes from Digikey.

J

john493

Registered
19 Jul 2014
somewhere
Just tried again, including disconnecting from the track... still no joy. It's strange, when I try to set CV2, it reads back OK. But for CV32 (to set the switch number) it waits for a long while, then says "failed to read CV". The NCE still lets you program it, the light flashes, and the switch motor jolts, so something is happening. But still the switch number doesn't change. I think there must be some secret handshake with the Piko controller that stops it working with any other controller.

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Now you know why I use the Digitrax controller... had same type of crazy issues with programming DCC switch controllers from Train-Li, the ones built into the motor casing.

I have found too many European decoders that do not meet NMRA programming standards, and of course the manufacturer blames it on your DCC system...

Greg

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
I don't have one, but it has the same connections as an old LGB 4-switch decoder (which was rebadged Massoth) but the CV settings and options are a subset of the Massoth 4-switch decoder, so I imagine it is a rebadged Massoth.
The procedure for programming it is the same as for the old LGB 4-switch decoders, i.e. you connect it to programming output of your command station, put a jumper across two connections to put it into programming mode, and attach a switch motor to the first pair of outputs to provide a load. Then CV programming as usual. When finished removed the jumper and that prevents it from being accidentally re-programmed.
In the manual I can't find any reference to CV2 and 77. You can reset the configuration settings by writing 77 to CV7.
As I said I don't have one so I got all this from the manual:
https://www.champex-linden.de/download_fremddokumente_piko/piko_35013_bda.pdf

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
So is the OP trying to set either non-existent CV's, or just has the wrong documentation?

J

john493

Registered
19 Jul 2014
somewhere
> So is the OP trying to set either non-existent CV's, or just has the wrong documentation?

Neither of the above, as far as I (OP) can tell. I am trying to set CV 32, which according to the documentation and the Youtube video made by Piko is the correct one. It apparently accepts this - the LED says 'A' and the point motor twitches. But the address doesn't change. One oddity is that my NCE controller successfully reads CV2, but times out trying to read CV32 (or any others). I strongly suspect an undocumented, proprietary "secret handshake" between the Piko controller and decoder, that is needed for the setup to work. (And yes, I DO have the programming link in place).

If PhilP PhilP , or anyone else, has successfully programmed this decoder with a non-Piko controller, I would be delighted to know how.

idlemarvel idlemarvel - I'm pretty sure that this is NOT a Massoth, but rather an Uhlenbrock. I have read that, and for sure the board looks nothing like either LGB or the Massoth decoder (which I also have and which also cannot be programmed). I have successfully programmed LGB decoders. But the Digitrax wins hands down. If anybody wants to take either of the others off my hands for a reasonable, but heavily discounted, price, I would be delighted.

D

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA
I found that my older Zimo MX1 needed the timinh changed for the DCC pulses to program some decoders. This unit has 3 different time sets for programming and one does shut off the DCC pulse for a short time. Also found the LGB 55045 will program lower value CV's if needed when nothing else worked.

1to3

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
14 Sep 2015
Did you try with a jumper? They recommend cutting a paperclip. Changing channels to program is pretty simple from what I see. There is a YouTube video showing how...

J

john493

Registered
19 Jul 2014
somewhere
Yep, tried that. And watched the video.

P

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Did CV 29 (bit 7) get screwed up where it's expecting loco addresses rather than switch addresses?