PDF Models Baldwin gas mechanical locomotive, anybody?

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Has anybody here built this ugly-duckling model of a WW1 trench locomotive? I'm giving serious thoughts to ordering one for me to collect at the Peterborough show, and I'd be grateful if a prior-experienced builder here could advise me about switchgear/radio et al. The construction on Youtube looks pretty straightforward, but I'm having extreme difficulties understanding the commentator, whose lips I cannot see, and whose diction is less than ideal for somebody like me with very little hearing, even when electronically-assisted.

TIA

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
All I can say is that I, too have been very tempted - let me know how you get on :nod::nod:

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
[QUOTE The construction on Youtube looks pretty straightforward, but I'm having extreme difficulties understanding the commentator, whose lips I cannot see, and whose diction is less than ideal for somebody like me with very little hearing, even when electronically-assisted.
TIA[/QUOTE]

Not sure if this is the model you mention and You have probably seen this, but if not, may be of use.
http://meridianmodels.co.uk/assets/pdfs/mm8-baldwn-50hp-gas-mechanical.pdf

regards,
Paul.

Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, Paul, for trying to help me out. Sadly all I get is a blank page there. :(

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, Paul, for trying to help me out. Sadly all I get is a blank page there. :(

Tac, check your downloads/attachments folders after you've visited that page - yes, you get a blank page in your web browser, but it should download a PDF document for you which your computer may have tucked away somewhere you didn't see.... on mine, the PDF file opened automatically, but yours may not. ;)

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the handy tint and hip. I'll take a look. :)

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well, the instructions are pretty much a case of 'take part a and stick/screw to part b' so I guess I'll be doing it all by ear. Might just squeeze in one of those micro sound systems in, too, we'll see.

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Apologies for it being the wrong model.
Paul.

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Well, the instructions are pretty much a case of 'take part a and stick/screw to part b' so I guess I'll be doing it all by ear. Might just squeeze in one of those micro sound systems in, too, we'll see.
From what I could see, it's not overly complex :shake::shake:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Tac Micro Sound System?

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Apologies for it being the wrong model.
Paul.

No problem - it's just as interesting to see what kind of a kit you can get [for 32mm gauge only] if you have around £600 to spend. Nice details for the cab controls, too. I'm hoping there's a real one either at Statfold or at the Apedale Museum site that I can grab some details off...

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I have been interested in their products for a while. Nearly went for the Bedford flatbed at last year's Peterborough show. However..........heferlump in the room.........the stratification/striation lines due to the 3D printing process. I think I understand the benefits of the 3D printing process - vastly reduced "origination" cost and no need to commit/need a minimum production run and the resulting subsequently wider choice of niche subjects for the buyer, its just the striated finish stops me buying. I seem to remember that a version of their kits, or am I mixing them up with another 3D printed producer, was available that was "dipped" in what I presume is a solvent to "blend" those lines. Max

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
They certainly mention in the part on kit preparation that work is needed to prepare the surfaces, and that the more work you put it, then the finer will be the finished product - axiomatic, I think. However, tac and hard work are not strangers, and I'm more than happy to put in whatever work is necessary to get a good result. You may have overlooked that in making my scratch-built 16mm scale SAR/WHR brake van I not only had to fabricate all the many hinges, hasps and staples, padlocks, door catches and retaining hooks and fittings from scrap, adding the correct flatterned fixing-ended handrails and grab-rails with 'bolt' fixings, and but also topped it off with 567 hand-applied rivets and nuts/bolts/washers.

With this upcoming model I'll be fitting custom-built cab details, rather than the heavy 3D printed items provided.

Reactions: 1 users

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
i like the look of the 7/8ths version,,,, very tempting,,

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Sigh...

Let me get the Tax Man, and Accountants fees out the way, and I will buy one, and fit the lot..

:rolleyes: