Painting piko/pola buildings

scook

Registered
24 Oct 2009
leicester, 3cag
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

id like to paint some piko and pola buildings, they are outside the whole year round, any advice on what paint people use?

thanks Sam

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I use match pots of stone paint, but whether or not the paint will stick to plastic or not, I couldn't tell you

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Believe it or not, paint you would use on your house, that is designed to last 10-20 years
I second that.

I use acrylic house paint designed for Australia's weather conditions.

For plastic I wash with dish-washing detergent, then a light sand with a fine abrasive followed by a good primer and finally 2 topcoats.

I buy sample pots from the local paint store tinted to the colours I want.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Are these new buildings or is the intention for for a full repaint or to restore the colour wash effects common to these makes of buildings ? Over time the these effects can fade. Max

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I like matchpots of masonry paint, such as Sandtex or DIY store own brand. It adheres well to both kit buildings and foamboard and lasts and lasts, though I have to touch up the enamel paint on doors, windows etc every 2-3 years. After an initial brush coat, I tend to dab with bits of sponge dipped in gentle mixes of the base paint tinted with acrylic browns to give a more uneven effect. This is a modified Piko signal box painted with terracotta and mid-stone shades, which stays outside all year round and which has been repainted with masonry paint about once every five years.
sigbox.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I tend to use Rowney Acrylics that last outside very well. But as my stocks of that have diminished other varieties are in use and appear to last just as well. Certainly not an every year or so job.

Bopper

Registered
9 Apr 2021
Parkes 2870 NSW
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I second that.

I use acrylic house paint designed for Australia's weather conditions.

For plastic I wash with dish-washing detergent, then a light sand with a fine abrasive followed by a good primer and finally 2 topcoats.

I buy sample pots from the local paint store tinted to the colours I want.
Thats what I do the water based house paints seem to be the best. Bopper (Parkes NSW)

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thats what I do the water based house paints seem to be the best. Bopper (Parkes NSW)
Some of my buildings are the same colour as my house because I used the left over paint, water based acrylic exterior paint.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I've used Humbrol paints, usually acrylic for some of my buildings. Some re outside all of the time, but others come indoors when not in use....

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
I use rattle cans with matt finish colours.
As long as the background plastic provides a good, rough key, the paint will be fine.

This is my scratch built version of Garsten Depot in Austria, complete with base coat of sand and PVA as render, then rattle can over the top.

IMG_2292.JPG