Painting Etched Nameplates

graham2650

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
17 Jul 2015
Wales
Best answers
I have some etched nameplates that need the background painting. Is there a secret to painting these so that the edging and lettering remains unpainted. Obviously I could paint them very carefully with a very small brush but I guess there must be a much easier and neater method.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Paint over the lot, & then carefully rub the paint off the raised parts once the paint has dried. Sounds easy but practice makes perfect

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have some etched nameplates that need the background painting. Is there a secret to painting these so that the edging and lettering remains unpainted. Obviously I could paint them very carefully with a very small brush but I guess there must be a much easier and neater method.
As Paul says, but use Wet and Dry Paper to remove the excess on the raised bits the smaller grit the better.
JonD

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It may sound a bit obvious, but I used to touch up 00 etched number plates with a paint brush, then use the MK 1 finger to remove the excess off the raised bits.

Can't have been too bad, because they sold in the Guildford Model Shop for decent wonga (not that I saw the wonga)

Reactions: 1 user