pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
If you remember the threads Mel (YB281) put up concerning 'weathering with an airbrush' and 'detailing a Matra crane', well when the Master spoke Grasshopper listened (Grasshopper also went shopping :D ) and here are some of the results:
First off I went to the local model shop in Trier and bought the cheapest airbrush starter set they had, however a quick squirt revealed that it was only really good for large areas, say completely repainting a wagon or building, however as usual a quick evening surfing had two decent airbrushes plus a small compressor (sold together as a kit) coming my way for less than twice the price of the original set.
Anyway, piccies, I hear you cry, so first off the Matra with the genny truck

285c821558df42428411fa90b7230714.jpg

behind them goes a shed on wheels, taken apart to paint so it looks like they used a second hand chassis

06f72baf56904422b07e19ef616504cc.jpg

in front of the crane goes the flatties, the one with stakes will be receiving a load of pipes when I get time to cutting them to size

8fd395fdae0f4cb9ae2fa6f043d7d7a8.jpg

the Matra all alone, for this whole train I painted the chassis one colour to try and signify a private owners train, I think decals might have to be made to complete the idea

2d9c7b9101e74291895f4303d43a49ce.jpg

here is the Hiab type crane which I also went on about recently, it was a green that would have made a frog envious, so I think I've toned it down okay. The skips came witht the same lorry and have yet to get 'the treatment' :banghead: As you can see this wagon was weathered before I went airy-fairy using brushes, the difference is huge and I might have to re-do it

d6778fb52c2944cd88cece023b2130af.jpg

Right, got into the hang of it using cheapo wagons, now let's try less-than-cheapo coaches:

a7bb881bb4cc4f20b80bed5f4e7dd8d1.jpg

and its sister

a171a9d8567e4a7c93a324d8493a06da.jpg

ain't they a pretty pair? Except where they're muddy and dirty...

f5afbd9f359a49b7a07d89f4f4b0aab4.jpg

I mean you could almost make a train out of them :happy: Oh, hang on who put that loco there. Oh dear, it is far too clean and shiny. Ah, but wait, the DEV coaches are going to be pulled by my green & black Corpet, the poor old BR80 gets to pull something far more mundane.
I strongly recommend you put on sunglasses :cool: for the next pi.... oh dear, too late

d31bfbace10346ad967a4737762518a3.jpg

Now that lot definitely needs a squirt with something mucky.
That's it for the moment, other than to point out I spray all my stock, weathered or not, with Graupner matt varnish to remove the plasticky look. If I can get to grips with airbrushing then anyone can, and I think the effects acheived are worth the time taken.
Thanks to:
YB281 for inspiration :clap:
Zman for the DEV coaches :clap:
Whatlep for the BR80 :clap:
My wife for only rolling her eyes and not beating me to death :love:
Paints from http://www.lendonsmodelshop.co.uk/?redirect=www.lendons.co.uk < Link To http://www.lendonsmodelsh...rect=www.lendons.co.uk
Airbrushes etc http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/

Next question: how do I mask the wheels and skates to paint the locomotives? :eek:nphone:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work mate.

My local model shop is trying to persaude me to buy an airbrush starter kit, so maybe you've just sent me over the edge....

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Those look very good. One day I will pluck up the courage to use my still in its box airbrush bought nearly 1yr ago.
I have a message from Zman though, he would like the coaches back and restored to their original yaller. :happy:

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Nice Pics Ian , not got the nerve to even try weathering

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Vely nice work Grasshopper, you are indeed a vely good pupil. Next we will paint the fence and then clean the car. Say after me - "wax on ......... wax offfffff". :D

Great stuff Puggy mate. I have long term approval for a compressor for my birthday pressie. :clap:

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Oh ye of little faith...
this is the set I bought,
http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/...ther 6 weeks to get mine repaired :impatient:

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
Nice work mate.

My local model shop is trying to persaude me to buy an airbrush starter kit, so maybe you've just sent me over the edge....

I would take a look at tool centres, ebay etc first.
One thing, there are different size threads, the little airbrushes use 5mm and the 'proper' ones use 1/8 inch if I remember rightly, adaptors are available, and the braided hose that came with the compressor is way way better than the plastic tube for the 5mm job.
I think with the compressor set then adaptors, spare mixing jars, a holder (dead handy) and a few bitznbobz I cant have been far off £100 - and this stuff will last.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
Great stuff Puggy mate. I have long term approval for a compressor for my birthday pressie. :clap:

You are a sweet talker Mel:admire::admire:

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Bram said:
yb281 said:

Well thanks to Ian I've bookmarked that link and will sending off my order in a couple of weeks. :D

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Bram said:
yb281 said:
Did anybody actually mention a year here? :rofl:
Anyway, Master, this Grasshopper asked a question: what's the best way to mask the wheels and pickups on a loco (oh yes, she's next), I seem to remember someone suggesting smearing everything you don't want painted in vaseline, but I seem dubious as to traction problems afterwards. Stop sniggering at the back.
Ah yes, while I think about it, compressors use air :clap: cans use propellant :thumbdown: not good in a closed environement or for your 'elf.
Someone mentioned the photos were good, they were extracting the wee? They were taken in a hurry before it went dark on the only bit of track that is intact and doesn't kill my back getting at.
As usual - and this happens a lot here - HRH pulled a right face every time the postie came in with a box :impatient: but is the first to show off the results :* Is this the same with you lot?
Anyway, the Grasshopper doesn't want to tread on the Masters tootsies or upset him in any way, but having bought the entry level airbrush as he suggested and then the serious kit, I wouldn't bother with the cheap one again. I worked out that 6-8 cans of propellant would pay the compresor. No sniffable gases, no ...well, we're all reasonably intelligent. N.B. the Tamiya jars screw straight onto the above mentioned airbrushes too :clap:
Finally, I hope, as it is bedtime, RDG send a card with a 5% discount for further orders. Well, me being a printer etc I noticed these are all the same number, so if any of you are cheeky enough 12769. But, as usual :cool: :clap:

beancounter

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Shakespeare Country
Best answers
Country flag
OK guys - how do you suggest I get out of my airbrush-phobia?

Years ago I bought a cheapo Humbrol jobbie. I sprayed a signal gantry, then the airbrush gummed up completely. (I was using acrylics, and I did wash it afterwards). I found all the setting up a bit of a faff.

Easier to use an aerosol can...

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Ian, to be perfectly honest the only loco I've weathered with the airbrush was the Wangerooge diesel which is outside framed, so only the bottom of the wheels show. Anyhoo, I simply used masking tape on both the wheels and the skates.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
beancounter said:
OK guys - how do you suggest I get out of my airbrush-phobia?

Years ago I bought a cheapo Humbrol jobbie. I sprayed a signal gantry, then the airbrush gummed up completely. (I was using acrylics, and I did wash it afterwards). I found all the setting up a bit of a faff.

Easier to use an aerosol can...

Not sure what to suggest John. My experience has been that, as long as everything is kept clean, airbrushing is dead simple. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
beancounter said:
I sprayed a signal gantry, then the airbrush gummed up completely. (I was using acrylics, and I did wash it afterwards). I found all the setting up a bit of a faff.
Try simply soaking it overnight in some warm soapy water to see if you can revive it.
One god thing the 'expensive' airbrushes have over the starter kit is that they come to bits so you can clean the needle if necessary.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
''Mild green, fairy liquid''

394ff3edf248452ba7b0bcbb6d65e90c.jpg

It's so kind to your hands