paint stripping

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Looking for suggestions on what to use to strip lettering and graphics from Bachmann Lil hauler ore cars. I first tried my got "purple power" which usually takes about 2 to 3 hours to strip but it didn't work in 6 hours, then tried brake fluid but it was starting to discolor the plastic and was afraid if left on it would eat the plastic. Last I have soaked it for 48 hr and was able to clean off part of 1 side using my finger nail but the other side is too tuff, any suggestions would be appreciated, Bill

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I use T-cut for this purpose. I guess it's available in the US. I put a small drop on a cloth and rub gently.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Thinners on a rag rubbed over the lettering will probably work but it is also likely to eventually effect the underlying plastic.
Paint seems to be effected more, so if you do a few quick wet wipes then stop before the plastic softens and repeat later when the plastic has hardened up again sometimes works after several tries.
It can get messy if there is sunken detail like wood grain. A fine brass wire brush can help in places like that. Plastic looks better if painted (automotive acrylic) so perhaps that is the best outcome once most the lettering has been removed to avoid it showing through.

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks everybody but I found my own cure, when I had tried my trusty "purple power" in the past I had usually put soaked cotton balls on what I was removing and it worked in a short period of time but this time being as the area was so large I used a paper towel and my thinking is it didn't keep the liquid against the car body. I just put the car in a small tub and added enough purple power to cover it and this is the results in about 25 minutes, the black was a little tougher than the yellow as the yellow just washed off and the black would probably followed had I left it but I was in to big a hurry to was it off and took a brush to it, all gone paint stripping purple power.JPGpurple power paint stripper.PNG thanks for everyone's help, Bill